Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum, sold out?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Platinum, sold out?

Looking to stay tomorrow night, using a free night award, and my preferred choices are not showing up on search. I am Platinum. Is it possible to call my preferred hotel and see if they have something for me? Or would the Platinum Elite Support number have more success?
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by RBirns
Looking to stay tomorrow night, using a free night award, and my preferred choices are not showing up on search. I am Platinum. Is it possible to call my preferred hotel and see if they have something for me? Or would the Platinum Elite Support number have more success?
They say the plat desk sees the same availability as what's shown on the website, but who knows if that's actually true. Hotels often keep extra rooms on hand that aren't published, so it doesn't hurt to call the property and ask.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Your status isn't likely to magically make a room available with less than 48 hours notice, but you have nothing to lose by asking.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Platinum support line was not successful.
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by RBirns
Platinum support line was not successful.
paying cash may yield success but you'd have to pay rack rate by using plat override if its not a special event day, not using the FNC
dw likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by tjk1976
They say the plat desk sees the same availability as what's shown on the website, but who knows if that's actually true. Hotels often keep extra rooms on hand that aren't published, so it doesn't hurt to call the property and ask.
As a hotel owner/operator I can say this is a very untrue wives tale. Hotels will sell every room. We do not "often" if at all keeps sellable rooms not for sale.
wrldwide1, TerryK, benfro6 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by hotelboy
As a hotel owner/operator I can say this is a very untrue wives tale. Hotels will sell every room. We do not "often" if at all keeps sellable rooms not for sale.
Depends on the hotel and on how you define often, I guess. I know for a fact that it happens because I've been offered such a room myself on several occasions.
ikwia and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
You can use the Platinum guarantee, but then you have to pay rack rate. Unless you're super-desperate, that's usually not worth the expense.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RCyyz
You can use the Platinum guarantee, but then you have to pay rack rate. Unless you're super-desperate, that's usually not worth the expense.
Doesn't the Platinum guarantee require more advance than "tomorrow night"?
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Doesn't the Platinum guarantee require more advance than "tomorrow night"?
Yes. 48 hours.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
​​​​
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Yes. 48 hours.
The 48-Hour Guarantee is only available to Titanium and Ambassador. It also has blackout dates.

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22363
TerryK likes this.

Last edited by iknowthings; Feb 23, 2024 at 10:25 pm
Old Feb 24, 2024, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by iknowthings
​​​​
It also has blackout dates.
I love how Marriott uses such vague T&Cs: "Forty-eight (48) Hour Guaranteed Availability may not be available on certain limited dates (e.g., special events)."

"Certain limited dates" could mean literally anything they want, making this guarantee not much of a guarantee at all. Kind of like how there's no clear policy on what defines a conference hotel, a designation that properties can cite to deny late check-out to eligible elites. Sometimes, it honestly feels like they just make things up on the spot to deny benefits.
billdokes likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by iknowthings
​​​​

The 48-Hour Guarantee is only available to Titanium and Ambassador. It also has blackout dates.

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22363
"You must be logged into your Marriott Bonvoy® Titanium or Ambassador Account to see your 48-hour Guarantee benefit availability and complete your booking."

what does this mean? i have often times seen properties that were sold out, and i never saw any option for a platinum override while logged onto my account as ambassador, i always thought you had to call in to get a room.
ikwia and Kara5930 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Back in the Marriott Rewards days, I used to really appreciate this benefit. On those times when I really, really needed to have a room I knew I could book it at rack rate at a Marriott and get it. Exceptions/blackouts were VERY rare, by design.

I don't even consider it a benefit anymore, to be honest. There are simply too many times I'm looking at bookings far enough in the future that the guarantee should apply (if necessary), and properties simply show up as "sold out".

There are many things I dislike about Hilton, but one thing I do like is when searching hotel availability and prices it explicitly says "this room is exclusively available to you as a diamond member" or something like that so I know the benefit is being used.
SPN Lifer and DCFlyer0306 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
There are many things I dislike about Hilton, but one thing I do like is when searching hotel availability and prices it explicitly says "this room is exclusively available to you as a diamond member" or something like that so I know the benefit is being used.
Hyatt will also show "Guar Availability" at sold-out properties.

The thing about sell-outs is, the inventory often changes, and I've been able quite a few times to score a room at a regular rate (even for same day arrival) by continuing to search semi-obsessively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.