Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Sales dept Long stay rate 30% HIGHER than normal .Com/App and 7-day rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Relatively new with Marriott.
Considering long-stay (25-40 nights) economical, etc, Emailed some properties seeking rate 30 nights no breakfast mid-March to end April (Platinum+ get breakfast).

One property's Sales Dept pleased to provide "longer-stay" (7+ nights) daily rate 30% HIGHER than .Com/App "normal" rates. Replied sending screenshots of daily rates (relatively stable each day) for March & April,

While waiting a response from that property, emailed another property in same city and asked for rates for 6 nights, then four more 6-night stays (rates were all Fully-Flexible and relatively stable each 6-night period). Let's see what rate(s) they provide.

Seems rather strange the per night rate for 30-nights is HIGHER , by 30% than one-night.
Other multi-national hotel groups almost-always providing a discount (no sales commission) even a discount on Advance Purchase rates.

What's your experience with longer-stay rates ?

Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Relatively new with Marriott.
Considering long-stay (25-40 nights) economical, etc, Emailed some properties seeking rate 30 nights no breakfast mid-March to end April (Platinum+ get breakfast).

One property's Sales Dept pleased to provide "longer-stay" (7+ nights) daily rate 30% HIGHER than .Com/App "normal" rates. Replied sending screenshots of daily rates (relatively stable each day) for March & April,

While waiting a response from that property, emailed another property in same city and asked for rates for 6 nights, then four more 6-night stays (rates were all Fully-Flexible and relatively stable each 6-night period). Let's see what rate(s) they provide.

Seems rather strange the per night rate for 30-nights is HIGHER , by 30% than one-night.
Other multi-national hotel groups almost-always providing a discount (no sales commission) even a discount on Advance Purchase rates.

What's your experience with longer-stay rates ?

My experience is that local hotel sales teams tend to behave irrationally. Might be best to just book online!
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Also, in many states, you will not pay any tax on a room stay of 30 consecutive days or more, as you are then considered a tenant.
puchong and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Also, in many states, you will not pay any tax on a room stay of 30 consecutive days or more, as you are then considered a tenant.
Interesting ...wonder if the concept / rationale applies to other countries in the world....will need to google or chatGPT / OpenAI

For USA, (wasn't planning on USA as many countries have lower rates than in USA) google search & quick skimming results (ofc, double check info from these pages with the property)

1. each State's requirements
https://www.avalara.com/mylodgetax/e...uirements.html

2. template letter BEFORE you book ...helps guest and the property for audit purposes as article says.
https://texaslodging.com/the-hotel-o...ent-exemption/

3. the myriad of State + Local combinations
https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/2...dations/78536/

4. practical experience of a 31+ days guest
https://frequentmiler.com/staying-30...pay-the-taxes/
Old Feb 18, 2024, 10:57 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
If you get to a long stay deal, I would make sure Bonvoy benefits still apply and also points/nights are being credited. At best in written form. I did book a long stay rate once, which was actually almost 50% less than regular rate, but at the end I did not get points and night credit "because it was a long stay rate". Was quite a bummer.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
If you get to a long stay deal, I would make sure Bonvoy benefits still apply and also points/nights are being credited. At best in written form. I did book a long stay rate once, which was actually almost 50% less than regular rate, but at the end I did not get points and night credit "because it was a long stay rate". Was quite a bummer.
Good point, and as mentioned above, the first property mentioned "longer stay" was 7 days or more ...could book on App/.Com x several bookings, and daily rate on App/Com was/is lower than the "longer stay" rate offline by Sales Dept of the property
Btw, haven't heard back from first hotel, and second property still hasn't responded at all.

Currently on 7-night consecutive stay at same property already stayed 9 x 1-night stays. Points received for each of the 9 stays, and will know this week if the 7-night stay credits correctly.
Then at same property i've booked two more weeks consecutive.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
I did not get points and night credit "because it was a long stay rate".
That was an SPG policy, but I never heard of it for any Marriott program.
slowly likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Expatriate
Good point, and as mentioned above, the first property mentioned "longer stay" was 7 days or more ...could book on App/.Com x several bookings, and daily rate on App/Com was/is lower than the "longer stay" rate offline by Sales Dept of the property
Btw, haven't heard back from first hotel, and second property still hasn't responded at all.

Currently on 7-night consecutive stay at same property already stayed 9 x 1-night stays. Points received for each of the 9 stays, and will know this week if the 7-night stay credits correctly.
Then at same property i've booked two more weeks consecutive.
Points received for the 7-night-consecutive stay,
Now on the way to Titanium !

Update on properties emailed for special rates1. No further response several days from property #1 Asia2. No response at all from property #2 in Asia (same city as #1)
3. In Turkey, one property in Tier-2 city quote 10-15% (depending on day) lower than Marriott App/.Com4. In Turkey, a Tier-3 city, definitely off-season where there are Hilton Hampton at €28 (Fri, Sat, Sun) and Radisson Park (40-50), there is a Sheraton at €94 ++ and reviews on it's website say property is old.
No rates provided. I followed up, mentioning all this info , still no reply.

How these properties expect to get business (esp in off-season) if they don't reply?

Maybe need to show some recent years' activity at other international hotel groups ~250 nights hotels avg (mostly from just Hilton, IHG, selectively Radisson & SLH) ?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:37 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
My experience for long stay rate tend to be everywhere (basically whatever they can get away with lol) UNLESS you have a negotiated corporate rate. Haven’t done long stay for a while but the last time I stayed at JW Marriott in Hong Kong ( about 10 years ago) for 2 months, the rate was 20% off the corporate daily rate.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That was an SPG policy, but I never heard of it for any Marriott program.
For stays over 90 days, although much earlier (maybe before about 2010), the rule was no points or elite nights for stays over 30 nights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:04 am

A typical 150-room hotel has approximately 55,000 roomnights to sell in the course of a year. OP’s offer to buy up 50 or 60 nights (0.1% of their inventory) is just not enough volume to justify the hotel offering a special rate over that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
One of the mystery of life.

Asking for those long stay or book multiple rooms (more than 10) few times and everytime the hotel sales department provide higher rate than if booked from the website directly by individual guests.

Agreed on MePlatPremier too little volume to justify special rate, but the hotel can just provide normal rate as shown in the app instead of provide "special rate" that was 20-30% higher.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
A typical 150-room hotel has approximately 55,000 roomnights to sell in the course of a year. OP’s offer to buy up 50 or 60 nights (0.1% of their inventory) is just not enough volume to justify the hotel offering a special rate over that.
Good point / approach.
And let me refine it ..as mentioned, off-season, let's say measure by quarter (reasonable assumption to measure things qtr by qtr, whether private or publicly-traded).
1. off-season 3m+/- should be of some concern (vs hope to make it up in on-season)
2. let's say 90-100 rooms hotel as some in tier-2/3 cities and/or many properties (each 'not-so-large') in larger city
3. 30-45 nights
1+2+3 ... yes, not huge % of inventory

but ,
4. 139 nights in 7m w/ IHG (no benefits beyond 100 nights but some good Promo's only reason beyond 100, no Lifetime benefits, $5 per 1,000 points transfer/gifting -ridiculous, IT & Diamond desk too many wrongs, big time wasters not correcting, etc , switching out IHG and in-Bonvoy) + 145 Hilton + ... near 300
So, #3 let's say 30-45n during this season / Promo period, but easily 120-150 nights in the hotel group for the year ...but each hotel doesn't care about the program only for themselves,

5. some Marriott properties
a. 2 of 4 responded ...2 of 4 didn't bother at all ... AFAIK from some Marriott GM's , there are standards for replying to emails ....small sample , but 50% didn't respond at all !
b. 1 of 4 response was rates 30% HIGHER than booking on-line/app ... makes zero sense
c. 1 of 4 some discount ...basic discount (10-15%) and let's attribute that % discount as the commission payable on such online/app commissionable rates ... in other words, it's something , but nothing out of the basic commission

6. Other hotel groups: Hilton and IHG .... waaaaaayy better at responding / discounts
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Not in the least bit true. Each property is its own fiefdom and there are no rules as to how/why/when the sales manager/GM will be willing to offer a lower negotiated rate. It's 100% situationally dependent on their current & foreseeable mix of RevPAR, ADR and occupancy.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For stays over 90 days, although much earlier (maybe before about 2010), the rule was no points or elite nights for stays over 30 nights.
Must have been much earlier than that. Back during my RI days from '98-'04, there was a local Fortune 100 company that kept a room checked in year-round exclusively for when the CEO was in town (he was based in the UK). Per their contract, his MR number was on the reservation for the six or seven years while they had the room and he collected all, and I mean all, the points which he used for annual family vacations.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.