Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : NUA Nightly Upgrade Awards (NUAs), introduced Jan 2024, replacing SNAs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Wiki post
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:15 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy

In November, we announced upcoming changes to Suite Night Awards. Well, say hello to Nightly Upgrade Awards! Over the coming week, you’ll be able to unlock more premium rooms and unforgettable suites at your favorite hotels in 2024. From ocean-view paradises to breezy balconies to spacious accommodations, Nightly Upgrade Awards can help you get there.

If you plan on using the Marriott Bonvoy app to apply your Nightly Upgrade Awards, please make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of the app.

To learn more, please visit https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-35372.

Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by RK23
I'm afraid to cancel my SNAs to see what potential new options are at the Prince de Galles as I believe time of request is one of the metrics used for SNAs.
Can anyone see if the pool goes above Macassar suite now?
I just clicked modify and saw new options compared to last week.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:01 am

Personally, I really hate when companies try to spin devaluations as a positive change.

NUAs clearing 3 days out make them effectively useless for Titanium and above, as they will only clear if the hotel has tons of upgrade inventory, in which case a complimentary upgrade at check-in is highly likely anyways (perhaps Plats or people who only stay in the US and therefore see few upgrades may value them more). In my opinion, upgrade instruments are only valuable for providing certainty in advance, so you can try to ensure your most important stays are the ones to land an upgrade. Taking away this certainty leaves the instruments fairly worthless.

Of course, at the current trajectory, I recognize Marriott's higher ups would read such feedback and decide "clearly we just need to reduce complimentary upgrades then, maybe even make a higher spending-based tier that exclusively gets complimentary upgrades going forward, thereby making NUAs sound like a good deal to everyone else".

In short, Hyatt's instant-upgrades-at-time-of-booking are looking oh so enticing.

Anyways, have a good weekend everyone.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If one already applied a SNA last year for an upcoming reservation do we need to cancel that and add the NUA or will that be done automatically?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Same here, additional higher suites are visible on my bookings.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Kacee
Bet it's a mistake and the properties aren't aware they're releasing those into the upgrade pool.

This happened after the SPG acquisition when the IT changed and properties unknowingly released premium suites into the pool.
Yep.

Originally Posted by iknowthings
I tried to tell you.
Give it a week.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So the changes are:
  • New name.
  • Upgrade confirmed starting at 3 days prior rather than 5 days prior.
Am I missing something here?
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Yep.

Give it a week.
Properties cannot cannot directly modify NUA room pools. They can apply for exceptions from Marriott, but don't expect those to be given out often.

What you see today is not going to change drastically any time soon.
SPN Lifer and kaizen7 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I am also seeing higher suite categories on previous bookings as well as attractive categories on Ritz Carlton future stays!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by thesun
So the changes are:
  • New name.
RC is added to the brands participating in NUAs, which is good for Plats who wouldn't otherwise get a suite there.
SPN Lifer, thesun and reggiekush like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iknowthings
Properties cannot cannot directly modify NUA room pools. They can apply for exceptions from Marriott, but don't expect those to be given out often.
That may be true (I have no personal knowledge one way or the other), but what I am 100% confident we will see is properties effecting downgrades on supposedly "confirmed" premium suite upgrades.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by thesun
So the changes are:
  • New name.
Marriott should learn a thing or two from United.
AMB should clear the upgrade at T-5 day; Tits at T-4 days and Plats at T-3 days.
DJ_Iceman, slowly, thesun and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:42 pm

That may be true (I have no personal knowledge one way or the other), but what I am 100% confident we will see is properties effecting downgrades on supposedly "confirmed" premium suite upgrades.
Well then I'm sure FT members will add that information to the appropriate property Master threads and the hotel will lose business for that practice.

I will add that with these changes, hotel compensation has greatly improved for confirmed NUAs.
SPN Lifer and littlevoices like this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by samosa
I just clicked modify and saw new options compared to last week.
Got it, looks like nothing has changed for PdG then, since the next suite levels are specialty suites.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Bet it's a mistake and the properties aren't aware they're releasing those into the upgrade pool.

SNIP
Originally Posted by azepine00
Nothing marriott has done over the recent years makes me believe even for a moment that they are trying to improve program for guests.

SNIP
Originally Posted by CLEguy
SNIP

Give it a week.
That's more like it. The true Flyertalk spirit of optimism shining through at last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.