Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SNA Suite Night Awards Are Changing to Nightly Upgrade Awards NUA in 2024

Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:15 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy

Exciting changes are coming to Suite Night Awards — beginning with a new name, Nightly Upgrade Awards! Soon it will be easier to access these exclusive awards and enjoy premium rooms or suites at the brands you love.

Starting early 2024, you can use your awards at five additional hotel brands — including The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION, Aloft, Element, and Protea Hotels. Plus, you’ll have nearly 20% more premium rooms and suites available for upgrades across all participating brands, with features like oceanfront views, balconies, and extra space.

With Nightly Upgrade Awards, you’ll have more opportunities to secure an upgrade for your stays in early 2024 and beyond. You can continue to earn these awards through our Annual Choice Benefit and/or Brilliant Earned Choice Award programs, and any upgrade requests will be confirmed closer to check-in, starting three days prior to arrival.

To learn more, please visit: https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-35372

SPN Lifer and nequine like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So, guess they are putting lower "non-suite" rooms into the bucket now? Wonder if they will be pulling back on the true suites that can be selected?
YariGuy, tjk1976, skrosvik and 6 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
what good is this change when there's still no guarantee they will accept your SNA?

If they changed the benefit to one that's confirmed when used, then we would have a game changer. This, it's just more places that can reject your request
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
So, guess they are putting lower "non-suite" rooms into the bucket now? Wonder if they will be pulling back on the true suites that can be selected?
Lower non-suites have been in the bucket for awhile. This just clarifies that. Hotels that didn't want to offer suite upgrades simply didn't clear the upgrade request...

These awards have never been that valuable. Because Plat + elites are already supposed to be getting these upgrades, all SNAs do is tell the hotel / Marriott "I want the upgrade a bit more than the next guy for this stay".
ryw, TXJeepGuy and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:05 am

Can't wait to apply my Nightly Upgrade Award to a higher floor room! /s

They might want to rename them as "Suite" Night Awards.
Alawyer, renila, lougord99 and 7 others like this.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Nov 4, 2023 at 9:58 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Can't wait to apply my Nightly Upgrade Award to a higher floor room! /s
People forget that you don't have to pick options you don't want to be upgraded to.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
How about removing the expiration. The fact that these are use or lose, and we can't exactly force the hotel to accept them is ridiculous. Any time they get rejected, they should automatically extend.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Nice improvement.
No longer called Suite Night Award, so hotels can just offer slightly higher room.
And the system search availability 3 days before check in instead of 5. More time for the hotel to hide the inventory.

/s (if anyone missed it)
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Having more rooms available doesn't help if they simply aren't honored. Agreed that until these are guaranteed, they are fairly worthless. I would much rather have fewer of them but be able to guarantee on booking.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by kaizen7
And the system search availability 3 days before check in instead of 5. More time for the hotel to hide the inventory.
Indeed this was missed above, I also paid attention to this point. Whilst it will stop those making decisions based on less flexible rates, i.e. your deadline for cancelling if you don't get the upgrade is now more likely to fall into an advance purchase window (not sure how abusive this had become, but I can imagine there were some doing this). But, it makes it even harder to plan ahead for those who are keen to dream. Not sure if that helps make it more likely a hotel will upgrade you or not, ultimately a shorter period should give them more certainty a room will be free, so perhaps increasing the chance of an upgrade?

I agree the name change is appropriate, as more and more of the opportunities to upgrade were not just suites. I am really not convinced that features such as "balconies, patios and extra space" are really worth upgrades that I can use for (as an Ambassador who chooses the free night), 5% of my overall stays to make them special (5 nights from 100 on simplistic math).

There is one good thing - the addition of the Ritz Carlton brand, if it includes suites (which of course aren't a stated Titanium/Ambassador benefit typically), it could be good. Or you're just getting a higher floor there and not really much improved rooms. As always, the proof will be in the pudding and I am not hopeful.
SPN Lifer, KRSW and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:16 am

So they're going from one smidge above completely worthless down to half a smidge above worthless. It's a shame that there aren't any other real options to choose for the 50 night milestone.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by littlevoices
There is one good thing - the addition of the Ritz Carlton brand, if it includes suites (which of course aren't a stated Titanium/Ambassador benefit typically), it could be good. Or you're just getting a higher floor there and not really much improved rooms. As always, the proof will be in the pudding and I am not hopeful.
Given how hard it is to upgrade at Ritz, and how difficult it is to use the lounge certificates with the Ritz CC, I doubt we're going to see a lot of suite inventory.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaizen7

/s (if anyone missed it)
definitely makes it harder to switch hotels if they are not clearing making it even more useless to those who need space
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
So they're going from one smidge above completely worthless down to half a smidge above worthless. It's a shame that there aren't any other real options to choose for the 50 night milestone.
I now always choose the 5 extra elite night credits as it will get me to lifetime status faster and as such, will not need to spend anything to maintain it.
renila, SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Mainly marketing spin in the announcement. Adding the other brands is a win. As littlevoices noted, I am also concerned about the Nightly Upgrade Award window and the free cancellation window for reservations being the same for some properties. I have had decent luck using SNA's for upgrades to two bedroom suites at RI and TPS; however, I need the SNA upgrade to clear in order to stay at the property. If it doesn't, I move to an alternate plan B property. With the current system, this typically allows for 2 to 3 days for the SNA to clear before the deadline for cancelling without penalty. Under the new system there may not be any window for the SNA to clear before the cancellation deadline. Time will tell how much of a limitation/problem this will be once the new system is rolled out. YMMV....

--Jon
renila, SPN Lifer, KRSW and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.