Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Book reservation using Chase Marriott, forgot to bring the card for check in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm in the middle of 3 nights stay at AC Hotel SFO. I booked this using my Chase Marriott card, unfortunately, I forgot to bring the card when I checked in. I found out they hadn't charged the reservation and going to charge it on my other credit card which I presented during check in.

I tried asking the front desk to charge it on my Chase Marriott card which I used to make the reservation and present her with the photo of that card. She said she needs the physical card.

I tried calling Bonvoy member services, they can't help because it's already checked in. More likely I will try to escalate this to the on-duty manager.

It's ridiculous they can't charge it on my chase marriott card which I used to reserve the room and insist on physical card to pay the reservation.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Taikucing
It's ridiculous they can't charge it on my chase marriott card which I used to reserve the room and insist on physical card to pay the reservation.
Ridiculous or not, it's incredibly common to require a physical credit card or at least a tap from a phone wallet. Fraud is common at hotels, and even if your situation is not a red flag for fraud, it is perfectly reasonable for a hotel to keep a policy of requiring a physical card if it wants to, rather than having a policy of granting exceptions at employee discretion.

It's also incredibly common for a property not to charge (even prepaid) reservations in advance when booking directly with Marriott.
wrldwide1, clarkef, Happy and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
It happened to me quite a few times also over the last 20 year across different hotel chains. I know you want to vent your frustration somewhere but I doubt you are going to get much sympathy here. Just put your Chase card into one of the e-wallet (Apple or Google Pay… etc) so you won’t have this problem again.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamluk
It happened to me quite a few times also over the last 20 year across different hotel chains. I know you want to vent your frustration somewhere but I doubt you are going to get much sympathy here. Just put your Chase card into one of the e-wallet (Apple or Google Pay… etc) so you won’t have this problem again.
You gave me a good solution, I put the card into my apple pay, n guess what. Their terminal can't use apple pay or tap to pay it. ..., this is so ridiculous, even a bodega can use tap or apple pay these days.
littlevoices likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Ridiculous or not, it's incredibly common to require a physical credit card or at least a tap from a phone wallet. Fraud is common at hotels, and even if your situation is not a red flag for fraud, it is perfectly reasonable for a hotel to keep a policy of requiring a physical card if it wants to, rather than having a policy of granting exceptions at employee discretion.

It's also incredibly common for a property not to charge (even prepaid) reservations in advance when booking directly with Marriott.
So this hotel can't accept tap or apple pay, still think it's not ridiculous. That's just bs. Accomodating manual override for 3 nights stay 2 rooms is just good customer service. Period.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That’s where mobile check-in/out works well
applesauce and BmanCCP like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:41 am

next time just book a prepaid reservation with that card and the hotel will charge it. No hotel will auto charge the card on file on your say so without a credit authorization form.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by 1mileman
next time just book a prepaid reservation with that card and the hotel will charge it. No hotel will auto charge the card on file on your say so without a credit authorization form.
Not necessarily - prepaid reservations are not always charged beforehand.

You should always carry the physical card you would like to use for payment.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:30 pm

If you would have done Mobile check in you might have avoided needing to present card at check in. But when they asked for the card and you handed it over you agreed to let them charge the card. You may be out of luck
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Taikucing
So this hotel can't accept tap or apple pay, still think it's not ridiculous. That's just bs. Accomodating manual override for 3 nights stay 2 rooms is just good customer service. Period.
And violating PCI compliance in the process? Not to mention a higher cost for the hotel for manually processed credit card transactions.

At check-in, ask them to charge the card you used for reservation. Once you present another card, the card info used to reserve the room is wiped off the reservation.

However, at one point Amex has an option to provide merchants the card number when the card is lost. You might want to call Amex and see if they are willing to do so. (probably not, due to new card regulations)
Old Jan 7, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Ridiculous? In these times?

Did the hotel forget your card? No. That one is yours.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I've changed the credit card used for billing by phone once I got home. I didn't realize which one they had on file.

I was Seattle at Grand Hyatt a couple of months ago. I forgot my physical card even though it was what I secured the room booking with. I told them that I was sure they wouldn't have any problem charging that card if I no-showed.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
That’s where mobile check-in/out works well
Don't have data points for AC SFO, but other Marriott hotels near SFO I have not had much luck with mobile check-in - e.g. Aloft, Westin, 4P, FI, the latter two - do not recommend.

I find Marriott to be well behind the curve on mobile check-in vs. Hilton or Hyatt.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I have done this at a Hyatt, so YMMV, but it was a Chase card, so worth asking the GM... they had a form they were able to send to my email they had on file. It allowed me to enter my data, including CC, and verify all the security info such as my address, then email it back. All of it went through a secure server. When they received it, then they were able to use it, though I only had the number with me.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I may be surprised this happened. Usually I get asked "if I want to use the credit card used to make the reservation". But I've had that account and Marriott status for 20+ years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.