Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Refused Titanium second choice benefit?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+

I qualified as titanium in 2022 and was counting on my second choice benefit to add a missing 5 nights for elite qualification this year. But now I discovered that I only received a single choice benefit (suite upgrades).

Spoke to a rep, she says that because on Dec 31 2022 I only had 74 nights, and the 75th night only posted on Jan 10th, that I'm not eligible for a second choice benefit!

So it seems that they use some obscure term related to date of stays posting to justify not giving me the two choice benefits that to my understanding are an integral part of Titanium.

Any ideas how this makes sense and how can I pressure them to give me the additional 5 nights?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:06 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
The date of the stay not the date it posts should be the determining factor. However, since this was for CY 2022, you needed to get it corrected the beginning of this year. You are well past the deadline of January 7th for selecting the annual choice benefit. When you don't make a choice by the deadline, it automatically defaults to SNA's. If you had tried to work with Marriott in early January you might have been able to get them to change your selection to the additional 5 nights. Annual Choice Benefit Selections are normally final and unchangeable. So you would have had to push for an exception to the default choice due to the late posting of your 75th night. At this point, I think you're out of luck.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Dec 28, 2023 at 8:19 am
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
The date of the stay not the date it posts should be the determining factor. However, since this was for CY 2022, you needed to get it corrected the beginning of this year. You are well past the deadline of January 7th for selecting the annual choice benefit. When you don't make a choice by the deadline, it automatically defaults to SNA's. If you had tried to work with Marriott in early January you might have been able to get them to change your selection to the additional 5 nights. Annual Choice Benefit Selections are normally final and unchangeable. So you would have had to push for an exception to the default choice due to the late posting of your 75th night. At this point, I think you're out of luck.

--Jon
Thanks. Any tips on how to push for such exception?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:51 am

Even if an exception is made at this point (it will not be), the ENCs would apply to 2022 and the SNAs would expire in 3 days. This would have been true even if you had the opportunity to pick them before January 7.

Last edited by iknowthings; Dec 28, 2023 at 9:00 am
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by bamba70
I qualified as titanium in 2022 and was counting on my second choice benefit to add a missing 5 nights for elite qualification this year. But now I discovered that I only received a single choice benefit (suite upgrades).
As other said it is way too late to try and solve anything now.

In any case the 5 night for qualifications would have credited toward 2022 nights and not 2023 no matter when you made the selection. The 5 EQN are given in the year you've passed the 50/75 nights, not the following year.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:10 pm

FWIW the annual choice site glitched for me last year and I was unable to make any selection (it didn't recognize I had exceeded 50 nights, possibly due to late posting and Bonvoy's mandatory 10 day waiting period, and didn't even give me the default after the deadline). I dropped an email to corporate in September and they allowed me my choice of benefit without any hassle at all. I think they can be lenient if/when it's due to their own tech issue.

The points above about the validity if the choice are relevant things to think about, though.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 2:25 pm

Considering the many glitches in Marriott systems, how long should one wait after clocking up 75 nights before Marriott formally notifies having qualified for Titanium in 2023?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Considering the many glitches in Marriott systems, how long should one wait after clocking up 75 nights before Marriott formally notifies having qualified for Titanium in 2023?
72 hours.

Notification aside, the ACB website should allow you to choose by then. If not, call in.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by iknowthings
72 hours.

Notification aside, the ACB website should allow you to choose by then. If not, call in.
What is the "ACB website"?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70

Spoke to a rep, she says that because on Dec 31 2022 I only had 74 nights, and the 75th night only posted on Jan 10th, that I'm not eligible for a second choice benefit!

So it seems that they use some obscure term related to date of stays posting to justify not giving me the two choice benefits that to my understanding are an integral part of Titanium.

Any ideas how this makes sense and how can I pressure them to give me the additional 5 nights?

Just to point out.... if you're referring to your choice benefit for 2022, the 5 ENC would be applied to 2022, and not 2023, so wouldn't help with your qualification this year anyways.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Sorry, Annual Choice Benefit.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by puchong (Post # 7)
Originally Posted by iknowthings (Post # 8)
72 hours.

Originally Posted by puchong (Post # 9)
Originally Posted by iknowthings (Post # 11)
Sorry, Annual Choice Benefit.
Here is the ACB website link:

https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/en-us
uanj likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:14 am

Programs: Marriott, Lufthansa Miles&More, Accor
I reached Platinum in November but I think I failed to select my annual choice benefit, in December I reached Titanium for which I received an email to choose, which I did. Now I can't go back and choose for the Platinum level. Reaching out to customer care by email was no help as they did not understand my problem and sent me links on how to make a choice. Anyone else had this problem?
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by luxk69
I reached Platinum in November but I think I failed to select my annual choice benefit, in December I reached Titanium for which I received an email to choose, which I did. Now I can't go back and choose for the Platinum level. Reaching out to customer care by email was no help as they did not understand my problem and sent me links on how to make a choice. Anyone else had this problem?
it defaults to snas if you make no choice.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by luxk69
I don’t think it’s possible to choose your 75 night benefit without choosing your 50 night benefit first. The default that 1mileman mentions only kicks in on Jan 7 (or is it 8) of the following year.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.