Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Q re merger of Marriott Rewards & Starwood Preferred Guest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

There is lots of information on the web about what one could have done 4-5 years ago if one had both a Marriott Rewards account and a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) account and actively wanted to merge them. However, I can't find anything about what happened if you didn't actively do anything around that time.

In particular:
  1. Do Starwood Preferred Guest accounts still exist (now branded as Marriott Bonvoy of course, but with a history that can be traced back to an original SPG account)?
  2. Did Marriott merge any accounts automatically on customers' behalf? Or was merging only ever something that was done on customer instigation?
  3. What if you had both a Marriott Rewards account and an SPG account that were registered under the same e-mail address? Does that change the answer to question 2?
  4. If not (ie, even accounts with the same e-mail address weren't automatically merged), what account are you retrieving the password for if you enter that e-mail address into the Marriott Bonvoy "Forgot password" option? If it's the one that can be traced back to an original Marriott Rewards account, how do you reset the password for (and get access to) the SPG-originating account with that same e-mail address (given that the old SPG member number no longer works)?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 11:10 am

from what I know marriott created new accounts and just merged the account and everyone got 3:1 points based on your point balance at the time (3 marriott points for every SPG point). Im not sure if any history before the merger would be available since technically it would be day one on the 1st day of the merge.

If you had an existing marriott number, im sure they would move the points there unless they decided to create a new account and merge both your marriott and spg account and just update your level based on the level you had with spg at the time of the merge.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I had 2 accounts until about 1.5 yrs ago. (I had purchased some of those 1 week packages and there had been issues with these when accounts were merged so I wasn’t in a hurry to merge my accounts until these were used up and then never got around to it.)

The Starwood account already had its points tripled so I could easily move the points from one account to the other. I had a different email address for each account. About 1.5 yrs ago, a very astute CS agent somehow picked up that I had 2 accounts and insisted on merging them right away. One account had become obsolete anyhow since it had dropped to Gold status so I never used it while my principal account had LT Ti status.

Anyhow, within minutes my 2 accounts had been merged into 1.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 1:55 pm

It's been 5 years, both of your accounts have been deactivated and points forfeited long ago. You's better create new account and start from scratch again.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
It's been 5 years, both of your accounts have been deactivated and points forfeited long ago. You's better create new account and start from scratch again.
Except for LT status and LT nights ... still worth tracking down and merging IMHO.
SPN Lifer and donotblink like this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
That's evidently not the case, as at least one account is still active and is showing as having existed since 2015.

At the very least, I'd be curious to know if there's a way of determining the origin of an account that old - ie, was it originally a Marriott Rewards account or an SPG account?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
I seem to recall that you were sent an email telling you you had to merge the accounts at a certain date. I merged my accounts in September 2019.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by AJNEDC; Nov 19, 2023 at 3:51 pm
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
agree

Originally Posted by cfischer
Except for LT status and LT nights ... still worth tracking down and merging IMHO.
Interesting thread, Yes it was a benefit to merge and get the LT status when available a 'few' years ago.

Also, a benefit is that some of the old & dated Sheratons were asked to do significant room reservations, (truly needed). some fabulous locations both in the US & Asia.
And as i understand, some of the SPG owners got there way with IT issues !!, mostly the cagey Florida folks !.
jimmygottfredson likes this.

Last edited by Jiatong; Nov 19, 2023 at 4:23 pm Reason: splng
Old Nov 19, 2023, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by kennethmac2000
That's evidently not the case, as at least one account is still active and is showing as having existed since 2015.

At the very least, I'd be curious to know if there's a way of determining the origin of an account that old - ie, was it originally a Marriott Rewards account or an SPG account?
There is a (non-guest facing) way, yes, but does it matter? Once they've merged, as they should be, the origin of either one is irrelevant.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
Welcome to FlyerTalk kennethmac2000. It was done proactively for most of us.. If you have a dormant account that you cant log into anymore to see if its active, I hope you have a good of points sitting in it to use..
If not, well, you will have to decide if the reward is worth the effort.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FenwayTim
Welcome to FlyerTalk kennethmac2000. It was done proactively for most of us.. If you have a dormant account that you cant log into anymore to see if its active, I hope you have a good of points sitting in it to use..
If not, well, you will have to decide if the reward is worth the effort.
Well, per my original question, I’m not sure if my accounts were actually merged. From the sources I found, I understood that it was something that had to be explicitly requested.

Is there a way of determining if a current-day Bonvoy account is the result of a merge of two or more legacy accounts?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Even though I went thru the process of merging my accounts at the time, I still occasionally get emails to the old account with promos that don't work if I log on with my current credentials. So the account lives on in some form for some reason.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 8:06 am

They were never able to find my old SPG account, no idea why. I even submitted the old folios to prove it. No points and only 3 nights, so I gave up quickly. At least they were able to merge my Ritz/Marriott ones ok, that one was more important
Old Nov 20, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kennethmac2000
Well, per my original question, I’m not sure if my accounts were actually merged. From the sources I found, I understood that it was something that had to be explicitly requested.

Is there a way of determining if a current-day Bonvoy account is the result of a merge of two or more legacy accounts?
AFAIK, it had to be requested. I never requested it, so I had 2 accounts for at least 3 yrs. Marriott did sent out an email that you could not have the same email address on both accounts which is why I changed one. Otherwise, I would have used my primary email address on both accounts when they were first created.

I can’t answer the other question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.