Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

U.S. hotel front desk demands physical handling of identification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

I generally carry a wallet with a see through window with my driver license inserted. For hotel check-in, I would show them the ID, and it's good to go.

As of this evening, when I checked in at W San Francisco, the front desk associate asked me to take out the license, since they need to handle it. They also asked to hold the credit card as well. I asked for a manager/supervisor, and her explanation was that front desk associates are trained "to touch the ID to identify fraudulent ones", and stated that this is common among Marriott hotels since she worked for them many years. This was escalated to the point where she was suggesting I should stay somewhere else, when I held my ID too close to her face. Ultimately, she relented, but not before they retaliated by placing me in the standard room, when in fact my SNA had cleared. That took another call to resolve the situation.

Ironically, the same thing happened a few weeks ago at AC Oakland, where the night auditor also asked me to hand her my ID, and was surprised when I refused. And once again, there was a retaliation action, where they added a valet charge to my room when I did not have a car.

I understand the requirement for hotels outside of the U.S. to hand over passports, since they may need to make a copy as part of their local jurisdictional requirements. However, I have never had an issue in a U.S. hotel until now, to the point where they almost refused to check me in. Is this a thing now?
Singapore_Air and FMDXR like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I’m with the hotel if you are refusing to allow them to check the validity of your Id.
dw, BearX220, moondog and 75 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:49 pm

maybe the hotel got burned with people checking in with fake ids.. so you can't fault the hotel for that
moondog, hnewman, MitchR and 13 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Their hotel, their rules (within the law).
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Retaliation actions are uncalled for, both sticking the ID in an associate's face and removing an SNA or adding a phantom parking charge.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
May I ask why you're so against the FD clerk handling your ID right in front of you?
dw, TerryK, Redhead and 35 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'd ask you to leave the hotel if I were the front desk clerk. I'd probably ask Marriott to cancel your account. Checking ID is normal. Yelling about being checked isn't, neither is shoving your ID in FD's face.

The hotel and Marriott overall would be better without guests that do this.
dw, TerryK, Redhead and 56 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
On a related note, an Oakland Bonvoy property recently gave me grief because my ID didn't have an address that matched my profile. (She was in training.). I explained that a passport card doesn't have an address. Interesting that an address match is a training point. Oh well. I checked in, after she handed me back the ID which she touched.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and DASRTR like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:07 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
You seem like the type of customer Marriott wants to avoid. Shoving the ID in the poor clerks face is quite the mature option!

It has never even crossed my mind in the decades I have travelled not to hand the actual credit card and ID I use when I check in.

What is your problem with taking your ID out exactly? Do you realize the amount of fraud hotels deal with?

Pick your battles comes to mind.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PTahCha
...she was suggesting I should stay somewhere else, when I held my ID too close to her face.
Bad move. Control your temper, especially with service people in a position to make things worse for you.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
I get asked at most hotels, for years.. … seems normal to me and it should not be surprising to you. They are not checking to see if you’re 21 and can buy wine, come on now. What’s the problem.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Bad move. Control your temper, especially with service people in a position to make things worse for you.
The hotel may call police like some stores or airline counters would do when the customers lose their temper. In this particular case, there isn't any ground to not take the ID out for the FD to look at - What is the OP's issue to guard his ID so fiercely?
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:58 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Happy
The hotel may call police like some stores or airline counters would do when the customers lose their temper. In this particular case, there isn't any ground to not take the ID out for the FD to look at - What is the OP's issue to guard his ID so fiercely?
I really hope it is something stupid like germs
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I really hope it is something stupid like germs
If he fears about germs then he better NOT stays in a hotel - how can he make sure the bedding is clean to his standard for example? Would he wipe every surface of the furniture in the room? This is not joking because I know of a couple the wife would do such a thing when they go on a cruise or check in a hotel - she would "sterilize" everything and then hang out the "Do Not Disturb" sign, only exchanges towels and clean out trash can as needed...
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:09 pm

Seems entirely normal to me.... how else can they check whether its a scanned/printed/modified copy? Wondering just WHAT the objection is....
TV guy, Adam1222, lsquare and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.