Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Surabaya , Indonesia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Am planning a trip here and wonder whether the JW Marriott or the Sheraton is the better choice for F&B options as well as elite recognition. Appreciate comments from anyone who has been there.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti; IHG Pt, IC Amb; Accor Ag; Agoda VIP/Pt
Following. They're close-ish to each other (as you probably know), so a one-nighter at both (property-hopping being slightly incentivized by the ongoing global promotion) could be worthwhile. I was myself considering hopping from The Westin Surabaya to FPbS Pukawon Indah, those effectively being conjoined twins in the same mall complex. Will certainly report back on this thread if I do so.

Last edited by 80proofGalleyCart; Oct 11, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Exactly the same question I have. When are you going?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I only have some experience with the Westin at Pakuwon Mall.
Nice property, good elite recognition but quite slow lifts.

Their Four Points hotel at the same mall did have similar issue with the lifts.
Never stay there so no idea about the hard and soft product.

JW Marriott at city center, a friend who is non status at Bonvoy stayed there and they said service was good but hotel itself was aged.

There is another Four Points at Tunjungan Plaza.
Large shopping mall in the middle of the town

Another hotel that I stayed previously was Majapahit Hotel. Non Bonvoy property.
Unique heritage property. Designed by the same architect that designed Raffles Hotel Singapore, and owned by Sarkies family like Raffles Singapore, but don't expect Raffles Singapore level of hard and soft product here
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comment about the Majapahit - is it of the same vintage as the Raffles? I might drop in for a drink or a meal, now that I know of the Sarkies connection - one of my classmates at school (a very long time ago) was a Sarkies!
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Similar design but smaller and definitely inferior hard product.
The staff are nice though.

F&B wise, I was there during the great plague strike so only their Indigo restaurant was open. The bar, and spa was closed.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by puchong
Am planning a trip here and wonder whether the JW Marriott or the Sheraton is the better choice for F&B options as well as elite recognition. Appreciate comments from anyone who has been there.
Work has brought me to Surabaya frequently this year, and have stayed multiple times at the Sheraton, the Westin, and the JW.

Between the Sheraton and the JW:
- Location: Sheraton wins, as it's directly connected to one of the biggest malls in Indonesia. However, the JW is just 500m down the road and they offer hourly shuttle service to and from the same mall on weekends, and on request on weekdays. Also was told that even on weekends, Elites could actually request the hotel to drive them to and from the mall anytime they wish. Although not a published benefit, so YMMV.
- Elite recognition: When not using SNA, Sheraton only upgrades to a Junior suite, which is not a true suite but rather just a larger corner room with a daybed. Whereas the JW will always upgrade Elites to a true 1-bedroom Suite at the JW when there is availability, even when not using SNA.
- Lounge: Both have a very decent Club Lounge. Sheraton's lounge is very small though and frequently overrun with families with kids, especially on weekends. The lounge at the JW is much bigger and they don't allow kids under 7 at the Lounge. While the spread at both lounges has a good variety of items, they are served in tiny portions. Certainly no substitute for dinner as you'll sometimes see in Asian Club Lounges. Drinks are served from 5 to 8pm (with food from 6 to 8pm) at the Sheraton. While it's 5:30 to 9:30pm for drinks at the JW, with food from 5:30 to 7:30pm.
- Breakfast: Lounge only at both the Sheraton and the JW. You can give up the 1000 points and choose restaurant breakfast at the Sheraton (which I normally do), no such option at the JW.
- Service: Very little separates the two, both have some of the friendliest, kindest, and most helpful people in hospitality. Can't say enough good things about the staff at both. I would say the JW wins though by a small margin, they send pre-arrival and post-stay emails, provide welcome amenities (not always done at the Sheraton) and constantly check up on me throughout the stay to inquire on the quality of my stay, etc.
- Both hotels are fairly aged. Sheraton was recently renovated and looks much better than it was before the pandemic, although one can still tell that the shell is old. The JW looks and feels older, but it is not like it's rundown or anything and the finishes are higher quality than the Sheraton (even post-renovation)

I will have to say the Westin is the best Bonvoy option in Surabaya though, where both the hardware and the software are in a completely different league compared to the Sheraton and the JW. But between the Sheraton and the JW, I will say the JW is the better choice, but I don't think you can go wrong choosing one or the other.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.
puchong likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rhu171
Work has brought me to Surabaya frequently this year, and have stayed multiple times at the Sheraton, the Westin, and the JW.

Between the Sheraton and the JW:
- Location: Sheraton wins, as it's directly connected to one of the biggest malls in Indonesia. However, the JW is just 500m down the road and they offer hourly shuttle service to and from the same mall on weekends, and on request on weekdays. Also was told that even on weekends, Elites could actually request the hotel to drive them to and from the mall anytime they wish. Although not a published benefit, so YMMV.
- Elite recognition: When not using SNA, Sheraton only upgrades to a Junior suite, which is not a true suite but rather just a larger corner room with a daybed. Whereas the JW will always upgrade Elites to a true 1-bedroom Suite at the JW when there is availability, even when not using SNA.
- Lounge: Both have a very decent Club Lounge. Sheraton's lounge is very small though and frequently overrun with families with kids, especially on weekends. The lounge at the JW is much bigger and they don't allow kids under 7 at the Lounge. While the spread at both lounges has a good variety of items, they are served in tiny portions. Certainly no substitute for dinner as you'll sometimes see in Asian Club Lounges. Drinks are served from 5 to 8pm (with food from 6 to 8pm) at the Sheraton. While it's 5:30 to 9:30pm for drinks at the JW, with food from 5:30 to 7:30pm.
- Breakfast: Lounge only at both the Sheraton and the JW. You can give up the 1000 points and choose restaurant breakfast at the Sheraton (which I normally do), no such option at the JW.
- Service: Very little separates the two, both have some of the friendliest, kindest, and most helpful people in hospitality. Can't say enough good things about the staff at both. I would say the JW wins though by a small margin, they send pre-arrival and post-stay emails, provide welcome amenities (not always done at the Sheraton) and constantly check up on me throughout the stay to inquire on the quality of my stay, etc.
- Both hotels are fairly aged. Sheraton was recently renovated and looks much better than it was before the pandemic, although one can still tell that the shell is old. The JW looks and feels older, but it is not like it's rundown or anything and the finishes are higher quality than the Sheraton (even post-renovation)

I will have to say the Westin is the best Bonvoy option in Surabaya though, where both the hardware and the software are in a completely different league compared to the Sheraton and the JW. But between the Sheraton and the JW, I will say the JW is the better choice, but I don't think you can go wrong choosing one or the other.

Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.
This will be my first visit to Surabaya, somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit since I had a friend who went to Uni there, but never quite made it that far.

I’ve got 3 days at the end of an Asia trip and while the Westin seems a better option my thoughts are it might be too far out of the centre, I imagine Surabaya traffic is like every other Indonesian city I’ve visited. I love busy cities and how they operate, I just don’t want to be stuck in traffic for hours every day. What’s your thoughts on this please?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:02 pm

Surabaya’s traffic is not as bad as Jakarta’s. I never find any compelling reasons to visit this city other than for business meeting and possibly meeting friend/family over a meal. It’s just not that exciting, There are some smaller towns like Batu or Malang that are supposedly charming with points of interest, but they are not for me.

Back to hotel topic, presently Westin is your best bet. Sheraton renovation is half-heartedly done. Location wise, many would argue Sheraton is in the city center - but what is there to visit other than a mall?
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by circusboy
This will be my first visit to Surabaya, somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit since I had a friend who went to Uni there, but never quite made it that far.

I’ve got 3 days at the end of an Asia trip and while the Westin seems a better option my thoughts are it might be too far out of the centre, I imagine Surabaya traffic is like every other Indonesian city I’ve visited. I love busy cities and how they operate, I just don’t want to be stuck in traffic for hours every day. What’s your thoughts on this please?
Traffic in Surabaya can be heavy but it's still not as bad as Jakarta. From the Westin to the city centre should take around half an hour. The area around the Sheraton/JW is surprisingly walkable for an Indonesian city, but apart from a few heritage buildings, there is nothing much to see. If you're planning to do trips to see the volcanoes or explore neighbouring towns, the Westin may actually be better located as it's closer to the expressway.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:38 am

I don't plan to leave the city, but don't necessarily have to be in the centre. I love seeing how cities work, walking around and literally observing how day to day life is.

I had orginally planned on the Westin, then thought it was too far and decided on the JW or Sheraton. But now I'm reconsidering the Westin again.

Is there much around the Westin, not necessarily tourist attractions, but area's to stroll around, markets /night markets etc?

And the important question, how is the Westin for upgrades? and do they have a nicer lounge than the JW?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by circusboy
I don't plan to leave the city, but don't necessarily have to be in the centre. I love seeing how cities work, walking around and literally observing how day to day life is.

I had orginally planned on the Westin, then thought it was too far and decided on the JW or Sheraton. But now I'm reconsidering the Westin again.

Is there much around the Westin, not necessarily tourist attractions, but area's to stroll around, markets /night markets etc?

And the important question, how is the Westin for upgrades? and do they have a nicer lounge than the JW?

Thanks for your help.
The area where the Westin is at is one of the most affluent residential areas in Surabaya (or Indonesia even) so lots of huge mansions with well manicured lawns, golf courses, parks and artificial lakes in the immediate vicinity. I didn’t notice any markets, but lots of commercial buildings on the main street and the Westin itself is connected to what I believe is the biggest shopping mall in Indonesia, with mostly upscale shops and restaurants. That mall is connected to yet another huge mall, which is more middle-class and has a more local feel.

The Westin has the same owner as the Sheraton so without SNA will only upgrade Elites to Junior Suites by default, which is just a larger corner room. The Club Lounge here is one of the best that I’ve experienced anywhere with very friendly and proactive staff. Happy hour is from 5 to 8pm with food served from 6 to 8pm. There is a live cooking station and plenty of hot dishes and a decent selection of alcoholic drinks. Breakfast is at the lounge by default or you can choose the restaurant breakfast as your welcome amenity. YMMV but by the second stay they’ve let me have breakfast at the restaurant while still letting me choose the 1000 points.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 10:35 am

There is one food market near Westin called Plaza Graha Famili..
Kind of open air food market.
Some nice local fare can be found there.
puchong likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by rhu171
The area where the Westin is at is one of the most affluent residential areas in Surabaya (or Indonesia even) so lots of huge mansions with well manicured lawns, golf courses, parks and artificial lakes in the immediate vicinity. I didn’t notice any markets, but lots of commercial buildings on the main street and the Westin itself is connected to what I believe is the biggest shopping mall in Indonesia, with mostly upscale shops and restaurants. That mall is connected to yet another huge mall, which is more middle-class and has a more local feel.

The Westin has the same owner as the Sheraton so without SNA will only upgrade Elites to Junior Suites by default, which is just a larger corner room. The Club Lounge here is one of the best that I’ve experienced anywhere with very friendly and proactive staff. Happy hour is from 5 to 8pm with food served from 6 to 8pm. There is a live cooking station and plenty of hot dishes and a decent selection of alcoholic drinks. Breakfast is at the lounge by default or you can choose the restaurant breakfast as your welcome amenity. YMMV but by the second stay they’ve let me have breakfast at the restaurant while still letting me choose the 1000 points.
I’ve booked the Westin and my SNA just cleared into the Westin Grand Suite.

If the SNA hadn’t cleared I was going to go to the JW - I really just left it to fate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.