Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Fairfield, given run around on double charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairfield, given run around on double charge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: Frontier, American, United, Alaska
I just dispute charges to Amex, they deal with it…..never been a problem. Provide documentation if needed but usually an explanation is sufficient.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by nacho
It's not like everyone can get a credit card. I live in Denmark and I am a staying home parent. Despite I own half a house no one is giving me a credit card.

Almost all banks here charge annual fee for credit card unless you have 150000Eur deposit or a mortgage that is 2x that. On top of that you get zero cash back and 2% exchange fee on top.

That's why a lot of Danes have issues when they rent cars abroad because most people have debit cards that come with their bank account (not all banks provide them for free).

How fast they refund also depends on the bank. One bank took 30 days to refund my $ while the others took a week.
Hi, nacho. I'm in the US and I want to thank you for opening my eyes to how complicated it is to get a credit card in Denmark. Is that the situation in all Scandinavian nations?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
If the OP has a way of calling the hotel in Pennsylvania at little or no cost from the UK, then I would suggest calling the hotel's accounting department directly -- unless one of the two charges is merely an authorization which falls off in a few days.
As a random FYI, no such thing as an accounting department at a limited service hotel of this size. All on property accounting matters/questions will run through the GM.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fw10001
Hi, nacho. I'm in the US and I want to thank you for opening my eyes to how complicated it is to get a credit card in Denmark. Is that the situation in all Scandinavian nations?
It is A LOT easier to get one in Sweden, if you are working and living in Sweden. When we were living there, Mr drove to Denmark to work everyday so we couldn't get any credit card the first 2 years after we moved there (that was for AMEX), then after 5 years he could apply for most cards. The problem is that when the card companies can't see that he pays income tax, they think he has no income. Also, they will reject you even though you have a good income if you don't live there long enough.

Norway has some credit cards so they are better than Denmark - Denmark has NO AMEX presence (they only issue corporate cards). A Danish bank has a reputation that they don't even allow people who are not born in Denmark to open a bank account with them (I tried and they turned it down as I am a naturalized Danish citizen).

A company called Betalingsservice (BS - literally) monopolizes the whole payment system for many years. They issue Dankort (like the EC cards in Germany - basically debit card system), that was THE ONLY payment method available apart from cash 20 years ago. They also provide auto pay services and some companies force their customer to use this to pay their bills - it costs $1.5 per bill per time, and it has to be taken from your bank account so no card churning.

As of today I only know 2 fee free credit cards that give you something in Denmark. One of them only give you bonus on getting gas and the other one is 0.5% bonus on everything except a bunch of things including flight tickets.

I have a debit card from a Fintech bank from Sweden that has 0% forex fee (the only free card without forex fee in Sweden), I used that to pay for my hotel stay, and the hotel double charged me. The bank kept it hostage for 30 days before releasing the funds. We didn't think it was like that but for CAD $400 and no forex fee we thought we could save some $.
SPN Lifer and LoganFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.