Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Why is there always a disconnect between policy and the property??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold

This is the second time I’ve had this exact problem happen.

I book a prepaid rate that says I have 1 day after booking to cancel and get a refund. (Also, each time I was pretty sure I was NOT booking a prepaid rate - but that’s another issue with the Bonvoy app.)

I call the elite line to cancel and they say no problem, you’re before the cutoff, you’re cancelled all is set.

Then, inevitably, the hotel charges me, insists there’s absolutely no such thing as the 1 day after booking policy, every prepaid reservation is non cancellable non refundable in ANY situation - and I have to spend days fighting between the GM and Marriott Reservations - sending copies of my reservation email and calling back and forth.

It seems the properties are completely unaware of the policy stated on the reservation on the app and confirmation emails.

Had this problem in February with the Westin Washington Dulles, and dealing with it now with the Residence Inn downtown Seattle.

Each time the property also seems to think I’m the one who’s supposed to know and go by their internal policy, and the black and white text on the app and in my confirmation email is irrelevant.

I’m now waiting for a return call from a GM since the front desk guy condescendingly insists I’m wrong - telling me how many Marriott properties he’s worked at - and even told the corporate associate that he’s wrong and that I’m SOL.

One of my hugest pet peeves is companies expecting customers to know and follow secret internal policies that contradict explicit / advertised ones.. and Marriott seems to have a real problem with this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Every time I have done this I have never had issues with being charged afterwards, however, if it occurred I would just do a charge back and provide amex with a screenshot of the policy.
rylan and FMDXR like this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:55 am
Original Poster

My understanding is that a charge back will result in things like lifetime status getting yanked - although maybe that’s something I heard when I was with Hyatt….

Either way my issue is the properties never seem to be aligned with the cancellation policy stated on the reservation. Wouldn’t this be something they’re able to see as well??
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by tcp1
My understanding is that a charge back will result in things like lifetime status getting yanked - although maybe that’s something I heard when I was with Hyatt….
For legitimate chargebacks, no. Properties can't just affect your Bonvoy account on a whim. It has to go through an approval process with corporate, who would see that you charged back something the property did not have the right to charge you, and they'd tell the property to kick rocks.
FMDXR likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

So how long would you normally give the property for a thing like this?

I spoke to the ops manager this morning and she said she’d have to talk to the GM to get an “exception for this situation” - never great to hear when they sound like they’re doing you a favor for honoring their terms - and that I’d hear back.

Always surprised with these places when what seems like things that should be commonplace are an “exception” and requires a committee of ten to solve.

Seems straightforward to me:

“You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on Friday, August 25, 2023.

Please note we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline.

​​​​​​​After this time, please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable. “
Read the policy in the res, reverse the charge, shoot me an email, done.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
What is the name of this property?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's crazy, your confirmation email and what it said on the app are good enough as proof. It seems to me that Marriott has evolve the concept of "spirit to serve" to "spirit to charge".
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happychic
What is the name of this property?
Residence Inn Seattle Downtown
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:46 pm

Maybe all you people defending properties that don't upgrade when available, will now understand that these properties do whatever they want including making up their own refund rules because they're used to getting away with anything they want
Old Aug 24, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by tcp1
Residence Inn Seattle Downtown
Thank you. This is crazy. Maybe this is something Lurker can help
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iknowthings
For legitimate chargebacks, no. Properties can't just affect your Bonvoy account on a whim. It has to go through an approval process with corporate, who would see that you charged back something the property did not have the right to charge you, and they'd tell the property to kick rocks.
Long ago, I would have trusted Marriott to have my back in a situation like this. In fact, going back 20 years there were a couple cases where they *did* have my back in a dispute with individual properties, although not this exact situation.

But I no longer trust this brand to actually do the right thing. They've eroded that relationship so many times over the past few years.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happychic
Thank you. This is crazy. Maybe this is something Lurker can help
Would be great. But not something we should have to rely on!

I just don’t get it. I’m a small business owner, and I’ve worked for huge companies. They’re still just people. I do not get how these disconnects persist.

“The cancellation policies being given to customers and those dictated by the hotel are different. This is a problem.” What do Marriott corporate employees do all day, if not resolve issues like this? They’re in the hospitality industry.. What would a GM be doing in an 8 hour day that precludes reaching out to a regular customer (so close to LT Plat) and just resolving this?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:34 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Hello, we are sorry for your experience. If our assistance is needed, please message us with your Marriott Bonvoy Rewards number, full name on the account, email address, and the last stay posted to the account (hotel name and dates).
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Hello, we are sorry for your experience. If our assistance is needed, please message us with your Marriott Bonvoy Rewards number, full name on the account, email address, and the last stay posted to the account (hotel name and dates).
Thank you. PM sent. Hopefully this can be resolved simply.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Wow. That was quick.

Handled and refunded.

Thanks Lurker!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.