Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is there any downside to booking with an AAA rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

We got the Brilliant card largely to enjoy the benefits of Platinum status. Is there any downside to using an AAA rate? I don’t see anything obvious but maybe I am missing things as I get older.

Old enough to get the senior discount next year anyway!

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Any publicly available rate (including AAA/senior rates etc) booked on the Marriott website should give you Platinum benefits. And AFAIK corporate rates will do the same (have always received the benefits when staying on those).

BTW: the senior discount (62+) is usually better. A few years to go for that
bladerunner6 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt, United, Flying Blue
I can also confirm that. I typically use either the AAA rate or the senior rate, and it has no impact on my points or elite benefits. And yes, the senior rate is usually better, but not always, so it pays to check both,
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bladerunner6
We got the Brilliant card largely to enjoy the benefits of Platinum status. Is there any downside to using an AAA rate? I don’t see anything obvious but maybe I am missing things as I get older.

Thanks.
That you have to pay AAA a yearly membership fee so you'll have an AAA member number? Not much beyond that unless you can dig up an even cheaper rate.

David
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:32 pm

Rarely, I've seen AAA/CAA be a non-commissionable rate, but that only matters if you're getting cash back elsewhere.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by bladerunner6

Thanks.
Please don't cheat the hotel of your hard earned money. Please book the flexible standard rate 😉
Old Aug 15, 2023, 3:30 am
Original Poster

I would like to thank people for the helpful responses.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Since qualifying for seniors rate early last year, I have not found the AAA (in Canada we have CAA, affliated) rate better.
clarkef likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We have both AAA and AARP, both have membership fees, both offer benefits beyond just lower room rates. AAA of course roadside assistance and AARP a lower membership fee and I'm sure I've gleaned some other benefits, but darn as a senior I can't remember what they are right now! Oh yeah, magazines every month. Sometimes with interesting articles. And a tote bag or somesuch when you renew.

I never consider using those rates "cheating" the hotels out of money. They are rates that the hotel chooses to offer.
DallasEsq and northinsouth like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 7:15 am

I rarely find the AAA rate to be any better than the lowest standard rate, but I have had many occasions where the AAA rate offers much better flexibility/cancellation at the same price.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We have both AAA and AARP, both have membership fees, both offer benefits beyond just lower room rates. AAA of course roadside assistance and AARP a lower membership fee and I'm sure I've gleaned some other benefits, but darn as a senior I can't remember what they are right now! Oh yeah, magazines every month. Sometimes with interesting articles. And a tote bag or somesuch when you renew.

I never consider using those rates "cheating" the hotels out of money. They are rates that the hotel chooses to offer.
One thing to remember is that Marriott, unlike most chains, does not have an AARP discount, it is a SENIOR discount that is strictly based on age. Not that they would ever check, but a 25 year old who is a member of AARP can not use the senior rate at Marriott.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by downinit
I rarely find the AAA rate to be any better than the lowest standard rate
That is not my experience at all. I save thousands annually with AAA rate. Easy example, looking at StR SF for Aug. 25-27, AAA rate is $150/night lower than member rate flexible.

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
One thing to remember is that Marriott, unlike most chains, does not have an AARP discount, it is a SENIOR discount that is strictly based on age. Not that they would ever check, but a 25 year old who is a member of AARP can not use the senior rate at Marriott.
Same with Hyatt. And based on having AAA card demanded at numerous Marriotts recently, I suspect most Marriott properties would confirm age-eligibility for a senior rate.
yyzflyer, SPN Lifer and benfro6 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is not my experience at all. I save thousands annually with AAA rate. Easy example, looking at StR SF for Aug. 25-27, AAA rate is $150/night lower than member rate flexible.

Same with Hyatt. And based on having AAA card demanded at numerous Marriotts recently, I suspect most Marriott properties would confirm age-eligibility for a senior rate.
And I'm very happy when a hotel does ask for verification of AAA eligibility. But Marriotts don't ever ask us for age verification.
yyzflyer and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by downinit
I rarely find the AAA rate to be any better than the lowest standard rate, but I have had many occasions where the AAA rate offers much better flexibility/cancellation at the same price.
I have used the AAA rate many times. Sometimes the difference is small from a standard rate, but it almost always saves me something.

To the OP I have never had any issue of any type using a AAA rate. Once in a while the hotel asks to see the AAA card but I find that to be very rare.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And I'm very happy when a hotel does ask for verification of AAA eligibility.
Why? You can't book the rate without providing Marriott a valid AAA number. This is properties just hoping you don't have your card with you so they can force you into a higher rate.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.