Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Penang, Malaysia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G

Having a holiday planned here in a few weeks for a long weekend as a tourist and with family was wondering if anyone had a perspective on the potential hotels to visit, some of which are missing master threads, and most without recent reviews.

Current hotels from Marriott have expanded significantly over the last few years, and there are now 5 options:(Previously I had stayed at the now deflagged four points, Four Points Penang, Malaysia [No longer a Marriott Brand Hotel] - FlyerTalk Forums)

Currently I have booked the lone pine as I feel that a beach, kids pool and more "resort" like hotel would be better for family - and we can just get a grab into Georgetown proper for dinner, and the butterfly farm that is nearby seems like it could be interesting for a short trip too. Plus, adds the "Tribute" brand to my list of ones I've stayed at. Though I remember a few reviews of some of the others in Malaysia not being great.

Any thoughts are welcome?
kevino likes this.

Last edited by littlevoices; Aug 27, 2023 at 5:48 am Reason: Added the lone pine link after staying here
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I'll give you one data point about the Lone Pine from 11 years ago. Back then it was the up-market boutique hotel-of-choice in the Batu Ferringhi beach area.

I had no idea that it's joined Tribute Portfolio but from my memory it's a suitable property for this brand. If they've refurbished it then I would say it's a safe bet as long as you don't mind the journey into George Town which - if you've previously also stayed at the Four Points - you clearly don't. When I stayed there, there were just taxis to get around but with Grab it will be less fraught.

My memory of the hotel is a stylish heritage hotel with baths on the balconies. Now you've highlighted that it's part of Bonvoy then I'd definitely stay here again on my next trip to Penang. Thanks for the heads up.

I've also eaten at Macalister Mansion way back and that really is a boutique hotel. Nice refurb of a colonial-era house but I didn't feel compelled to try to stay there. I really wish the E&O would join as a Luxury Collection property. I had some nice stays there before SPG ensnared me 10 years ago.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:30 am

- AC: while I haven't stayed there, it seemed pretty far from Georgtown. Highway can be backed up pretty bad
- Courtyard: central location, pretty decent hotel, good amenities (sauna, hammam), the breakfast was really good with lots of options. Can't remember if I paid or used the platinum credit.
- Macalister Mansion: didn't stay, but did visit the rooms and property. It looked really nice and I'll book there next time (if I can find availabilities with points)
- The Prestige Hotel: not part of Marriott. Decent hotel, also conveniently located. Rooftop pool, good breakfast. The rooms are quite nice and modern

The butterfly farm was really nice. Pro tip: drive your own car there. Because If you go there with grab, you might have to wait a long time before another one comes around to drive you back to town.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:52 pm

We stayed at the Courtyard in Dec last year and breakfast was included (Titanium). It was pretty good full buffet breakfast. We also got a good room upgrade. Staff was friendly.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Thanks everyone for the thoughts, and useful insight on the Courtyard breakfast. I'll think about it for a few days to make a final decisions - price-wise the Courtyard and the others in Georgetown are much cheaper than the Lone Pine (and not that many room options available).
Originally Posted by randomdude
- The Prestige Hotel: not part of Marriott. Decent hotel, also conveniently located. Rooftop pool, good breakfast. The rooms are quite nice and modern
It has joined, presumably recently: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...tels/overview/
Originally Posted by Marriott

Welcome to The Prestige Hotel, a Member of Design Hotels™

Modern-day Victorian design in Penang’s George Town.

Set beside 19th-century colonial buildings in Penang’s George Town—a UNESCO World Heritage site—the 162-room Prestige brings to mind a tropical Victorian Eden. Through heritage floor patterns and lattices, which amplify the hotel’s garden-conservatory feel, the design presents a whimsical homage to magic. Here, pieces reference such elaborate props as Houdini’s escape box, while visual trickery includes beds that seem to levitate as well as concealed rooms. Atop the hotel, the infinity pool with quayside views is a great spot for relaxing.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Thanks everyone for the thoughts, and useful insight on the Courtyard breakfast. I'll think about it for a few days to make a final decisions - price-wise the Courtyard and the others in Georgetown are much cheaper than the Lone Pine (and not that many room options available).

It has joined, presumably recently: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...tels/overview/
I stand corrected. I was there in february, it must have happened in the last few months.
At 50k points a night, I'd probably stick with cash rate
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I'm going to Penang for the first time next January. A friend of mine lives in Kuala Lumpur and recently stayed at the Courtyard in Penang. It looked really nice, very new looking with a great breakfast spread. I myself am booked at The Blue Mansion. It's not a Marriott property but it's a well known historic building in Penang and looks absolutely gorgeous. The grand dame hotel of the city is the Eastern & Oriental (E&O for short) which has that British colonial luxury vibe cranked up to the max.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:51 am
Original Poster

I stayed at the lone pine in the end, quite happy - added a master thread and pictures here: Lone Pine, Penang, a Tribute Portfolio Resort [Master Thread] - FlyerTalk Forums
In short - good resort, still going through teething opening niggles I'd say, but a good option for a weekend by the beach. Fairly far from town (20 minutes) and the airport (1 hour), but close to the butterfly farm (Entopia, about 10 minutes) - but a stand-alone property in its own right.

Also whilst driving through town noticed the massive Marriott sign on a new development, that isn't yet open, but has a big sign and the building itself appears to have completed.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
The Penang Marriott is now open for booking
nacho likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
The Penang Marriott is now open for booking
The rate is insane for a night in late March - more than 800 MYR or 54k points per night.
puchong likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Its location isn't great either. It's right on the coast, so you can get some nice sea views, but it's a long walk (40 minutes) from the hotel to the historic part of George Town, which basically forces you to take a Grab every time. If you want to stay with Marriott, the Prestige Hotel is right in the heart of the historic district and is cheaper too.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Norexan
Its location isn't great either. It's right on the coast, so you can get some nice sea views, but it's a long walk (40 minutes) from the hotel to the historic part of George Town, which basically forces you to take a Grab every time. If you want to stay with Marriott, the Prestige Hotel is right in the heart of the historic district and is cheaper too.
I'm done with Grab, once I was told to pay a driver cash for a 6 seater fare even though I ordered Grab standard. We were only 2 and with a bags that easily fit into the trunk. We were told that if there are more than 2 shopping bags we need to call a 6 seater. I haven't even counted the waiting time and how many drivers cancel our order...

Now I rent a car when I'm in Malaysia, it's not much more expensive than 4x grab a day. Gas and parking are dirt cheap.

I'm not willing to pay more than 300 MYR for a hotel night in Malaysia (I'm not looking at the luxury brands) - I'm perfect fine with a CY or similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.