Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott EWR vs IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Marriott EWR vs IAD

I am flying United and have the chance to connect through (and stay overnight at) IAD or EWR. Seems both have a Marriott airport on grounds but that both require a shuttle. And on Marriott's own website both are reviewed at 4.1. From those perspectives, therefore, it seems like a toss up. Any other reasons to choose one over the other? I am Marriott Gold.

Thanks in advance.

Lurker
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I strongly prefer the IAD Marriott to the EWR Marriott, but in general United flights and operations out of EWR are better (nicer planes, better upgrade odds, etc.). So it is kind of a toss-up; I guess I'd go with whichever flight options are superior and not let the hotel drive this decision.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
IAD one is so worn out.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Both are miserable. This is a connection I avoid: the airports, the shuttle rather than connected hotels, the whole thing.
Agree with choosing based on flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Thanks all,

The flights (AUA) are also a wash: both run on 739s; subtly differently booked in F at this stage, but that's a long way off, and priced the same (thanks to an itinerary change)

That's why I decided to select based on hotel. Maybe Mrs Lurker and I should stay off-airport at a nicer hotel at one of the two airports since a shuttle is already involved for any of them?

Thanks again

Lurker
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
EWR- Renn has a shuttle every 15 minutes, + club lounge service, even on the wknds.
Oh, know your UA terminal # for the shuttle.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
For IAD, there are a number of hotels close by, many offer a shuttle. I like the Marriott Suites in Herndon, no lounge, but a few restaurants in the shopping center connected to the hotel. The suite is a bit much for 1 night, but much nicer than the IAD Marriott, and you have to take a shuttle for either.

Oh, and I like the International to Domestic connection at IAD better, no AirTrain to worry about. You arrive in the same terminal building as you depart for your domestic leg.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jiatong
EWR- Renn has a shuttle every 15 minutes, + club lounge service, even on the wknds.
yeah this Ren is much nicer than the EWR marriott, and is almost always about the same price.

The EWR marriott has the best runway views, though.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jiatong
The Ren is nice, but I have found the shuttle to be unreliable. The Marriott is much closer to the Terminal and you get straight from the terminal vs. the Ren where you need to take the Airtrain. While I agree the Marriott EWR is not great, it is serviceable for 1 night ... so is IMO the Marriott IAD.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Avoid EWR

Avoid Newark.
DCFlyer0306 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Another vote for IAD Marriott Suites.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The one at IAD is easily accessible by foot, but neither is anything to write home about.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cfischer
The Ren is nice, but I have found the shuttle to be unreliable. The Marriott is much closer to the Terminal and you get straight from the terminal vs. the Ren where you need to take the Airtrain. While I agree the Marriott EWR is not great, it is serviceable for 1 night ... so is IMO the Marriott IAD.
The EWR Marriott was always easily walkable, across the parking lot from the old Terminal A. Haven't stayed there since the new Terminal A opened. Is it best to walk there from B now? Or C?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 8:36 am

As two more options, I have always had good stays at the Westin Dulles, and the Westin Reston Heights is a bit further but quite nice as well.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The EWR Marriott was always easily walkable, across the parking lot from the old Terminal A. Haven't stayed there since the new Terminal A opened. Is it best to walk there from B now? Or C?
you can walk, not the easiest/nicest walk. Sorry, don't know about the new Terminal A and waking to the Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.