Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Should an upgraded room type include the room benefits? - Pool access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club

I am shortly departing from the Sheraton, Porto, Portugal and the stay was very good in general, however, I was very disappointed to discover that despite being a Marriott Titanium member and also this hotel upgrading me to a room which includes Club Lounge and Pool/Spa access, that I was indeed charged for accessing the pool.

The hotel claims that as of 1st January the rules changed and you do not receive the benefits of upgraded room types. Is this true?

On the Marriott Bonvoy app it is shows that I have spa (pool) access, so I think it is very misleading to then be charged to access the pool.

I spoke to reception and then the front desk manager, who were both unable to offer any resolution because of this saying it is a policy change. I even completed the local Portuguese government complaints book process at the front desk and no resolution was offered.

Below is what the app shows:

Despite the above, they state the policy is to charge 18 euros per day to swim in the swimming pool, because I booked an entry level room and was upgraded to this room type.

Does this seem right to you? I find it quite infuriating but seems to be a set policy.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
I think it has always been the policy that you don't get the benefits of the upgraded room. However, charging for the hotel pool is a whole different story...
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mmogdan
The hotel claims that as of 1st January the rules changed and you do not receive the benefits of upgraded room types. Is this true?
The hotel might have changed its own rules at the beginning of 2023, but there were not any changes to the Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions that would prevent a property from providing the full slate of features associated with an upgraded room category.

Any time hotel staff claims they wish they could provide a better experience to you, but the evil executives at Marriott HQ won't allow it, hotel staff is lying.

It seems like an insult to be told, "We've upgraded you to the 'Club Lounge and Spa Access level' room category, but you can't have amenities that go with that category. You can't even swim in the pool unless you pay 18 euros per day."

Then again, all any of us can expect is the room category we're paying for, whatever that category includes, and whatever additional benefits our elite status provides.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Shouldn't lounge access be included regardless? I'd love to find out a hotel has figured out they can charge for pool access and get away with it. guess it's not much different then the resort fee including towels at other properties.
TXJeepGuy and SkyLich like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cubeman
Shouldn't lounge access be included regardless? I'd love to find out a hotel has figured out they can charge for pool access and get away with it. guess it's not much different than the resort fee including towels at other properties.
OP (mmogdan) profile indicates Marriott Titanium. OP did not complain about being denied lounge access, so the property seems to be honoring that elite benefit.

At some hotels with a pool, that pool is a hotel feature available to all guests. At other hotels with a pool, that pool is part of a spa or leisure club only available to guests paying an extra fee, or booking a room category that provides access, or even paying for daily access (or membership) as a non-guest.
dw, SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
If you go to Asia, sometimes, you have to be an Ambassador to get free pool time, and sometimes even they are charged. I've decided to spare other guests the sight of my stomach and stop swimming entirely.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by canael
I think it has always been the policy that you don't get the benefits of the upgraded room. However, charging for the hotel pool is a whole different story...
William made it clear that you were entitled to all the benefits of an upgraded room.

Perhaps the Lurkers can clarify whether this policy has changed for the benefit of all, WITHOUT requesting OP’s name, FT handle, MR number, reservation number, etc.
SPN Lifer, jpdx, slowly and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by Horace
OP (mmogdan) profile indicates Marriott Titanium. OP did not complain about being denied lounge access, so the property seems to be honoring that elite benefit.
I asked about this in more detail. They told me Lounge access was provided because of my status, rather than the upgrade. I also asked the front office manager, if I used a SNA, what would happen. The front office manager said if I had used an SNA to a room with pool access, I would have been provided pool access, but because this was a complimentary upgrade I don’t get any benefits associated with the room upgrade. I can sort of understand if I was upgraded to a suite that included butler access, that you perhaps shouldn’t be entitled to the butler, but an upgrade to a basic “club room with spa access” and not being permitted to use the hotel swimming pool seems very petty.

He was insisting because my original booking confirmation didn’t include pool access that it shouldn’t be included. I was pointing to the Marriott app which clearly states pool/spa access is included in the room - and the fact no one informed me during check in, or on the website, that it wasn’t included.

I did wonder at the time why the pool was so empty. Now I know why.

Despite all my protests and the hotel knowing full well I was unhappy about this, I was still charged for the pool on checkout.

Last edited by mmogdan; Jun 12, 2023 at 10:23 am
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its not an actual room upgrade if they give you that other room without any of the access/benefits... especially in cases where it is the same room design/layout/space but the actual upgrade is for the access benefits that the room provide. That would be like saying oh we upgraded you to a lounge access room but you can't use the lounge, basically a 'sidegrade' not an upgrade
If there was some restrictions then it should've been clearly stated at check in, like if they gave you a big suite and said it is room accommodation only and not the additional access benefits.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Sheesh, it costs them virtually nothing to let you use the pool there.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Probably why no resort fee
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
It was the same at Sheraton Tokyo. We got pool access as Ambassador level but everyone below paid something.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by hnewman
It was the same at Sheraton Tokyo. We got pool access as Ambassador level but everyone below paid something.
Sheraton Tokyo ? Not sure which property that is , but at Sheraton Miyako and Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay, Plats and above can use the pool without charge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As much as I Marriott properties game the system against guests, I do believe that just because you are upgraded to a room you don't necessarily get all the benefits that come w the room specifically

Now, I dislike it when hotels charge for pool access and will not knowingly stay at a hotel that does this

Now, that a property doesn't care about upsetting a titanium or giving free pool access to a titanium is awful but par for the course for Marriott now

Now Marriott should have far more standards on what guests and specific tiers get so we know if we always get pool access.

Marriott forced I've been told some of my favorite properties to exclude club access LC Prince Gallery in Tokyo or Sheraton Hua Hin for elites to enforce brand standards, or forced Marriott East in Shanghai to stop giving me 50% dining discounts to standardize to other properties to 20% discount... But Marriott is not willing to enforce basic brand status for elites. It's basically anything goes. And many things are going. Charging for pools is awful but probably ok by Marriotts grey area policies
SkyLich likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by SHLTP
As much as I Marriott properties game the system against guests, I do believe that just because you are upgraded to a room you don't necessarily get all the benefits that come w the room specifically

Now, I dislike it when hotels charge for pool access and will not knowingly stay at a hotel that does this

Now, that a property doesn't care about upsetting a titanium or giving free pool access to a titanium is awful but par for the course for Marriott now

Now Marriott should have far more standards on what guests and specific tiers get so we know if we always get pool access.

Marriott forced I've been told some of my favorite properties to exclude club access LC Prince Gallery in Tokyo or Sheraton Hua Hin for elites to enforce brand standards, or forced Marriott East in Shanghai to stop giving me 50% dining discounts to standardize to other properties to 20% discount... But Marriott is not willing to enforce basic brand status for elites. It's basically anything goes. And many things are going. Charging for pools is awful but probably ok by Marriotts grey area policies

Sheraton has not had a club for years but when it did access to elites was not an issue I ever encountered of heard about .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.