Non-cancelable reservation

Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Non-cancelable reservation

I have a non-cancelable reservation that I won't be able to make.

What is the proper protocol if I can't make the reservation? I figured I'd have to eat the room fee, but thought I would be able notify the hotel I'm not showing up. However there is not a cancel button on the website for this reservation.

Do I just not show up and I'll get billed for the room?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
How far ahead is the stay, and is it a hotel you may be staying at again in the future ?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
How far ahead is the stay, and is it a hotel you may be staying at again in the future ?
3 days and yes I probably will stay in the future.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dascc
Call the hotel and ask whether you can move the reservation to different dates.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dascc
Wait until OLCI opens. You can message the property without checking in and explain your circumstances.

Only once have I been denied a no cost cancelation even when already checked in. The one time they wouldn't was on a point stay. They assigned a room and posted the welcome points and stay afterwards.

I had a MX on a flight DFW-SYD and the flight was delayed 24 hours. I contacted the property. They were happy to shorten my stay by a day. When I arrived at the property, they upgraded me to a Junior suite and checked me in before 8:00 am. Breakfast was provided on the arrival day.

Most of my stays canceled after the cancel by date have been US properties.

James
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Non-cancelable" is too vague for anyone to tell you your best option. Is the reservation "non-refundable" or is it "non-changeable." If it's just non-refundable you can probably just change dates using the app or website. Note that even if it's nominally non-changeable the property may nonetheless allow you to change dates.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
In my experience with a property I never stayed at I had a Fri-Sunday reservation that was non-refundable. My plane was canceled (weather) so I wouldn't come in until Saturday evening at this point and I made the decision it just wasn't worth going. I explained to the hotel on Friday and they canceled the reservation with no charge. I've also had a handful of weather/cancels that make me a day late on other stays that they forgive/refund the day I wouldn't be there. (Even on some of those nights going for $450+)

Explain and usually they understand. Non-Refundable are usually enforced for no-shows or rude people. I'd assume status gets thrown into the mix here to.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cubeman
Non-Refundable are usually enforced for no-shows or rude people. I'd assume status gets thrown into the mix here to.
That is definitely not universal. Properties will stick to the rules on this sometimes, regardless of the explanation, how nice you are, and your status. A great example is Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.