Wiki Posts
Search

Bonvoy Brilliant and AMEX Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Bonvoy Brilliant and AMEX Platinum?

Is anyone here carrying both cards? Is there a distinct advantage of having both cards? The ones I can think of are:

1) Using AMEX Travel to purchase C class tickets. Recently my friends are able to buy C class tickets through AMEX Travel that I can't find it cheaper anywhere else.
2) AMEX points have more flexibility than Bonvoy points.
3) I'm already Bonvoy lifetime Platinum, having Brilliant is just icing on the cake.

Just a few things I can think of. Therefore I'm wondering if any of you are already carrying both cards and what make you think having both cards are worth it instead of just one.

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Is anyone here carrying both cards?
Yes.

Is there a distinct advantage of having both cards?
Fairly obvious (Bonvoy status + Elite night credit boosts+ $300 in monthly dining credits + 85k anniversary cert for Brilliant, usual AMEX Plat benefits).

AMEX points have more flexibility than Bonvoy points.
I don't think the AMEX Plat card is a good earner unless you're dumping a ton into airfare. I would avoid using it as a daily driver unless I was shooting for Centurion and just didn't care about earning points.

Therefore I'm wondering if any of you are already carrying both cards
I mean, it's a pretty big forum and there's an actual AMEX forum and a Brilliant discussion thread, did you actually think out of a lot of FT users you'd be the only one pondering how a Brilliant and Platinum would combine?

In my case it was a good SUB + shoveling credits at me during the pandemic, and so far the keep/downgrade/ditch decision has been "keep". Of note I am lifetime Silver and at the end of 2023 I'll need to decide if I want to keep the card or downgrade to the $95 AMEX card for a bit (and fish for an upgrade offer), since I will have earned 2024 Platinum status and can kind of let things float for now.

Did y'all need to crosspost this? You know there's a rule about this right?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 1, 2023 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:46 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't think the AMEX Plat card is a good earner unless you're dumping a ton into airfare.
The Bonvoy Brilliant is not a strong earner either. In addition to airfare, prepaid FHR bookings also receive 5x MR back. This is a pretty great return on spend for a preferred hotel rate.
eponymous_coward and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I had both cards and just cancelled the Bonvoy card. If you have Titanium anyway it makes little sense to carry the card IMO. They are about the same cost and the Plat card is a LOT more valuable IMO/IME.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by WasKnown
The Bonvoy Brilliant is not a strong earner either. In addition to airfare, prepaid FHR bookings also receive 5x MR back. This is a pretty great return on spend for a preferred hotel rate.
Agreed, MAAAYBEEE for Marriott points or if there’s a promo on like the current grocery promo, but most of the time it’s sock drawer time or just refilling some Starbucks/Einstein bagel/whatever gift cards at $25 a month.

Originally Posted by cfischer
I had both cards and just cancelled the Bonvoy card. If you have Titanium anyway it makes little sense to carry the card IMO. They are about the same cost and the Plat card is a LOT more valuable IMO/IME.
Sure, but if you value the $300 monthly dining credit + 85k cert + 25 ENCs at $651, does it matter that it’s a $650 AF card (ignoring any retention offers)? As long as value is net positive you’re better off with the card.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I have both. I may cancel my Brilliant card if I do not get any good retention offer next year. I just don't think it's worth it for my household. YMMV of course.
econ likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I keep reading about retention offer. Is this something you call in and ask for?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
You can call or chat to see if there is an offer tied to your account. The Amex forum on FlyerTalk has a dedicated thread on this topic and datapoints of what people get for their retention offers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes.

Fairly obvious (Bonvoy status + Elite night credit boosts+ $300 in monthly dining credits + 85k anniversary cert for Brilliant, usual AMEX Plat benefits).

I don't think the AMEX Plat card is a good earner unless you're dumping a ton into airfare. I would avoid using it as a daily driver unless I was shooting for Centurion and just didn't care about earning points.

I mean, it's a pretty big forum and there's an actual AMEX forum and a Brilliant discussion thread, did you actually think out of a lot of FT users you'd be the only one pondering how a Brilliant and Platinum would combine?

In my case it was a good SUB + shoveling credits at me during the pandemic, and so far the keep/downgrade/ditch decision has been "keep". Of note I am lifetime Silver and at the end of 2023 I'll need to decide if I want to keep the card or downgrade to the $95 AMEX card for a bit (and fish for an upgrade offer), since I will have earned 2024 Platinum status and can kind of let things float for now.

Did y'all need to crosspost this? You know there's a rule about this right?
Wow a bit harsh. Maybe you could have a drink or two with a friend or not.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I don’t really think these cards are related.

I have Brilliant, Marriott business, and CSR. I don’t have Plat as it’s a CSR competitor but might get Biz plat down the road.

I only put Marriott spend and $25 month dining on Marriott cards. That wouldn’t change if I had the plat
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:41 am

Instead of the Marriott Brilliant (Amex), does anyone have thoughts on the Marriott Bold (Chase) in combination with an Amex (Plat, Gold or Green)?

The Marriott Bold has no annual fee, and if you're Silver, it's 13/14x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Marriott.

I'm essentially deconstructing the Amex Platinum into a couple of cards with what I need/use rather than what Amex packages up, but I favour Amex points (Membership Rewards).
My hotel spending is mainly with Hilton (and I put that on an Amex Hilton), and I always feel I'm leaving something on the table (points-wise) the few times a year I stay at a Marriott (usually an expensive one).
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
Instead of the Marriott Brilliant (Amex), does anyone have thoughts on the Marriott Bold (Chase) in combination with an Amex (Plat, Gold or Green)?

The Marriott Bold has no annual fee, and if you're Silver, it's 13/14x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Marriott.

I'm essentially deconstructing the Amex Platinum into a couple of cards with what I need/use rather than what Amex packages up, but I favour Amex points (Membership Rewards).
My hotel spending is mainly with Hilton (and I put that on an Amex Hilton), and I always feel I'm leaving something on the table (points-wise) the few times a year I stay at a Marriott (usually an expensive one).
The Bold is just not a good card. Neither is the Bountiful. The Boundless is okay especially if you want to convert it to the Ritz card.

If we look specifically at points earnings, and Brilliant (Platinum) vs Bold (Silver)

Brilliant:
  • 6x on Marriott spend,
  • 10x base points on Marriott spend + 5x bonus
    • Element, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites and Homes & Villas by Marriott International: 5x points + 2.5x bonus
    • Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay: 2.5x points + 1.25x bonus
Bold
  • 3x on Marriott spend (worse than all the other cards)
  • 10x base points on Marriott spend + 1x bonus
    • Element, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites and Homes & Villas by Marriott International: 5x points + 0.5x bonus
    • Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay: 2.5x points + 0.25x bonus
So for normal Marriott stays, Brilliant is 21x and Bold is 14x. Not even to mention the actual elite benefits you get as Platinum, whereas Silver doesn't help you.
If you're going to stay at any significant number of Marriott hotels (especially the expensive ones), I would say get Brilliant or nothing.

I don't have a Plat but maybe you could try to prepay the Marriott hotels on AmexTravel.com for 5x points? Platinum status via Brilliant could be an addon...
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:23 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’m close to lifetime Plat but will likely keep the Brilliant after for the 25 annual elite nights toward the 50 and 75 night Choice Awards. For the 50 night Choice Awards, I’ve had good luck (outside mainland US) with having SNAs clear.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I carry both but for specific reasons-

AMEX Biz Plat - Usual Platinum benefits + I put $100k+ charges on it regularly that I wouldnt be able to put on any other card I have
Brilliant - between the dining credits, annual free night, Platinum status (otherwise would only be Gold through the AMEX Plat) it covers its AF for me
SPN Lifer and The_Diamond_Z like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
The Bold is just not a good card. Neither is the Bountiful. The Boundless is okay especially if you want to convert it to the Ritz card.

If we look specifically at points earnings, and Brilliant (Platinum) vs Bold (Silver)

Brilliant:
  • 6x on Marriott spend,
  • 10x base points on Marriott spend + 5x bonus
    • Element, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites and Homes & Villas by Marriott International: 5x points + 2.5x bonus
    • Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay: 2.5x points + 1.25x bonus
Bold
  • 3x on Marriott spend (worse than all the other cards)
  • 10x base points on Marriott spend + 1x bonus
    • Element, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites and Homes & Villas by Marriott International: 5x points + 0.5x bonus
    • Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay: 2.5x points + 0.25x bonus
So for normal Marriott stays, Brilliant is 21x and Bold is 14x. Not even to mention the actual elite benefits you get as Platinum, whereas Silver doesn't help you.
If you're going to stay at any significant number of Marriott hotels (especially the expensive ones), I would say get Brilliant or nothing.

I don't have a Plat but maybe you could try to prepay the Marriott hotels on AmexTravel.com for 5x points? Platinum status via Brilliant could be an addon...
Thank you for the analysis.

I am going to try the Boundless, but the current signup bonus is a 3-night award which sounds like trouble; I'd rather just have the points.

My primary goal is to have award stays or transfers to airline programs for upgrades/flights, and I use the points; I don't bank them.
I choose a hotel/location before points, and now I have a particular Marriott that I expect to frequent, so this will help.

I have a similar setup with the Amex Hilton Surpass, but my default spend is an Amex Green.

Last edited by The_Diamond_Z; Jun 4, 2023 at 1:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.