Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Unrecognized booking appears in my account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G

Just noticed when browsing my app that an unrecognized reservation for next week appeared in my account at Rome Marriott Park Hotel. It was not booked by me and I didn't receive any reservation email. It was booked for 2 guests with MIKI EOQ-9791-00 under reservation details. Not sure what it means. The booking can't be cancelled. Why does this happen? I am nowhere near Rome. I am concerned about my credit card details stored in my account and the security of my account and safety of my SNA.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: Skyteam
Tell us what happened after the stay.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Has there been any points activity in your account?

As for this reservation, call Marriott reservation and let them know about it. It could be someone’s true reservation that got attached to your account by mistake.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
It's possible you had the opposite issue of what I encountered here - Duplicate Confirmation Number - FlyerTalk Forums?
Old May 30, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I had something similar happen to me at BRU Sheraton. The person did stay and my credit card was not used, but I also did not receive stay credit. The hotel did not know what happened either. I assume the person got my SPG Plat benefits (before Marriott takeover).
Old May 30, 2023, 5:19 pm

What credit card is listed on the reservation?
Old May 30, 2023, 7:42 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I've had this happen once. I called, and was generally over-the-top persistent, until the reservation disappeared. Took a couple of hours.

I remember being assured that my credit card wasn't attached to the reservation, points had not been used. I didn't care, and I was "that guy" until it was removed.

All the best, James
Old May 31, 2023, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
What credit card is listed on the reservation?
No credit card information was attached to the reservation.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85
I had something similar happen to me at BRU Sheraton. The person did stay and my credit card was not used, but I also did not receive stay credit. The hotel did not know what happened either. I assume the person got my SPG Plat benefits (before Marriott takeover).
In my case, the reservation was actually indeed made in my name as I used the look up reservation function without logging in my account and it does match.

I called Bonvoy and was told the reservation was made by the hotel as part of a conference and the agent seemed to suggest that the guest happened to have the same name as me, which I doubt. She couldn't cancel it but did remove my number associated with the booking so that whoever decides to stay there won't have access to my account. She also said she would advise the hotel. The whole thing sounded very dodgy.
Old May 31, 2023, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
In my case, the reservation was actually indeed made in my name as I used the look up reservation function without logging in my account and it does match.

I called Bonvoy and was told the reservation was made by the hotel as part of a conference and the agent seemed to suggest that the guest happened to have the same name as me, which I doubt. She couldn't cancel it but did remove my number associated with the booking so that whoever decides to stay there won't have access to my account. She also said she would advise the hotel. The whole thing sounded very dodgy.
1. Why is it impossible for somebody to have the same name? Even people with rare surnames can google themselves and generally come up with at least a dozen strangers sharing the same name.

2. Have you ever stayed at this hotel before? Or simply reserved it? That would easily explain why you have a file at this specific hotel which then was inadvertently attached to somebody with your name reserving a room for a conference.
SPN Lifer and arlflyer like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
1. Why is it impossible for somebody to have the same name? Even people with rare surnames can google themselves and generally come up with at least a dozen strangers sharing the same name.

2. Have you ever stayed at this hotel before? Or simply reserved it? That would easily explain why you have a file at this specific hotel which then was inadvertently attached to somebody with your name reserving a room for a conference.
I have never stayed or reserved at this hotel. In fact, the hotel just emailed me following my phone call in the morning to the call centre saying that they inserted my name from a list provided by a travel agency as part of a group booking. I raised my concern as this seems like identity theft. The hotel then ensures me that they will carry out regular ID checks when guests arrive to check in. This is probably the last I will hear from them.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have never stayed or reserved at this hotel. In fact, the hotel just emailed me following my phone call in the morning to the call centre saying that they inserted my name from a list provided by a travel agency as part of a group booking. I raised my concern as this seems like identity theft. The hotel then ensures me that they will carry out regular ID checks when guests arrive to check in. This is probably the last I will hear from them.
Unless this conference is regarding your area of expertise, I can guarantee you that nobody is stealing your identity / impersonating you in order to attend a conference in Rome...
ulxima likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Unless this conference is regarding your area of expertise, I can guarantee you that nobody is stealing your identity / impersonating you in order to attend a conference in Rome...
Irrelevant. You don't want anybody to use your membership number other than yourself.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta PM
Irrelevant. You don't want anybody to use your membership number other than yourself.
Exactly. Curious as to what happens. Does the person check in? Was it indeed the same name. Let us know if you find out.
fdog likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 12:00 pm

Apples and oranges. It’s theoretically possible for someone to have a name-Doppelgänger, but that doesn’t mean it’s actually the case for 100% of individuals. I can attest from personal experience that people who have no evil twins do exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.