Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Asked by front desk to move rooms late at night

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2023, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Staying at a one night stay at a California location. I have to get up early so I went to bed early. I was woken up by the front desk via phone at 10:45 PM and was informed that due to a maintenance issue, they needed me to move rooms. Since I was a titanium member, they were going to upgrade me to a suite (not that I care about the suite, but technically shouldn't I have already received this?). I now have less than 8 hours until my anticipated checkout time.

Is this worthy of any sort of complaint other than the one I am making here?
Old May 1, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: Some
I would absolutely be complaining - I think being asked to move rooms any more than about half an hour after check in is a material guest inconvenience and deserves some service recovery, so unless you just checked in late at night, yes. Being asked to move to a suite when you don’t want to move doesn’t make things right.

I assume there must be a leak or something for it to be so urgent they can’t wait 8 hours for you to check out?
Old May 1, 2023, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I would absolutely be complaining - I think being asked to move rooms any more than about half an hour after check in is a material guest inconvenience and deserves some service recovery, so unless you just checked in late at night, yes. Being asked to move to a suite when you don’t want to move doesn’t make things right.

I assume there must be a leak or something for it to be so urgent they can’t wait 8 hours for you to check out?
They said another guest was complaining about the water. I have no idea what that means as I showered without incident earlier in the evening. The water probably could've been just a tad hotter but it certainly wasn't a cold shower. I tried to argue on the phone I didn't need to move rooms, but they insisted it was necessary. Not sure what would have happened had I not answered the phone as I nearly didn't.

I guess I could also have worded the suite thing a bit differently. It's not that I don't want the suite, but he made it seem like it was some sort of benefit to me. But really there's a few issues with that...
1) As "a valued titanium member" (his words, not mine) I was entitled to the suite at check-in. Since it's clearly available and this is only a one night stay, why didn't you give it to me at check in?
2)I'm staying by myself so really the only things I need are a bed, desk, and functioning bathroom. Having a random living room....particularly when I am already trying to go to bed serves no purpose. Had I been given the suite at check-in, perhaps I might have worked from the couch instead of the desk. He might as well have offered me a free dinner since it would have been equally useless.

Last edited by catbox9; May 1, 2023 at 1:00 am
Old May 1, 2023, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Things do happen, and often it’ll be out of the hands of the staff at the hotel.

I suspect the upgrade was their way of compensating you, but as you said you should have got this at check in regardless, so really an alternative compensation should be in order.
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Maybe they would have been clanging the other room's pipes which presumably were next to or over/under you? Had to shut off everyone in the area's water so you couldn't make a potty trip if you had to?

But I honestly don't see why the fix couldn't wait until the morning - just move the complainers to the suite and problem solved for the night.
clarkef and Chang11 like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 8:15 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I’ve worked at hotels (Marriott & Hyatt) for the last five years. I’ve only ever had to ask someone to move rooms in the middle of the night once…and that’s because it was a safety issue due to the carbon monoxide alarm going off on our control panel, but not in the room (that’s when we found out it was faulty…).

I’d love to hear the hotels reasoning for this room move.
SeatOfMyPants and ExArkie like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you've got a water leak into a room below, it has to be fixed right away, before it gets bigger and/or causes serious damage. I absolutely get why the property did this.

Not sure I see the complaint angle given this was due to a maintenance issue and they upgraded OP to a suite. I suppose they could throw some points for the inconvenience but you know, sometimes stuff happens.
Old May 1, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
If I was asked to move rooms during night, I would expect the room comped for that night.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you've got a water leak into a room below, it has to be fixed right away, before it gets bigger and/or causes serious damage. I absolutely get why the property did this.

Not sure I see the complaint angle given this was due to a maintenance issue and they upgraded OP to a suite. I suppose they could throw some points for the inconvenience but you know, sometimes stuff happens.
The complaint angle is that the poster was woken up at 10:45 pm and required to change rooms. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like being woken up and in general I don't like moving rooms unless I have multiple days left at the property.

I agree that comp or at least half off of the room rate is in order. Or enough points for a free night at the property or half the points needed for a free night.....

David
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, clarkef and 6 others like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This sounds like compensation culture gone mad. Stuff happens. Get over it and have some empathy with those dealing with it.
ovacikar likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by catbox9
Not sure what would have happened had I not answered the phone as I nearly didn't.
If it was truly an emergency that had to be dealt with, I’m sure they would have come knocking on your door.

And if you hadn’t answered, they would have proceeded to try to open the door. Which I would imagine you would had had locked with the safety latch. And then more knocking until you came to the door.

Much easier that you answered the phone
Old May 1, 2023, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah stuff happens... but you're saying its OK and the property isn't responsible? What do you mean 'empathy' for those dealing with it... that would be the OP/guest who is being forced to move in the middle of the night that deserves the empathy, not the front desk agent who isn't doing anything but giving them a new room key. They weren't even told what the actual issue was other than somebody 'complaining about the water' which does not sound like a leak issue.

If it was 2 or 3am would you still be saying the same thing - get over it? What if the OP wasn't there at 10:30, would you be OK and get over it if the hotel came in the room and moved their belongings to another room? What if they didn't answer, would be OK if somebody from the hotel came in the room while the guest was sleeping?
Old May 1, 2023, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah stuff happens... but you're saying its OK and the property isn't responsible? What do you mean 'empathy' for those dealing with it... that would be the OP/guest who is being forced to move in the middle of the night that deserves the empathy, not the front desk agent who isn't doing anything but giving them a new room key. They weren't even told what the actual issue was other than somebody 'complaining about the water' which does not sound like a leak issue.

If it was 2 or 3am would you still be saying the same thing - get over it? What if the OP wasn't there at 10:30, would you be OK and get over it if the hotel came in the room and moved their belongings to another room? What if they didn't answer, would be OK if somebody from the hotel came in the room while the guest was sleeping?

somebody 'complaining about the water' is obviously a euphemism or obfuscation of WATER LEAK, which sounds alarmist to anyone not directly involved. The user downstairs was squawking, they obviously want to move/shut off the likely SOURCE of the problem - your pipes.

But I absolutely agree with catbox9; they should have given you that clearly-available suite at check in in the first place if you're Platinum. This has been my complaint consistently the last 2+ years with Marriott properties across the board in North America and Europe- if I'm Platinum status, why am I not getting those all the time? You can't convince me that a parking lot a third full = a full hotel.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This sounds like compensation culture gone mad. Stuff happens. Get over it and have some empathy with those dealing with it.
Au contraire, a guest staying at a hotel is a commercial transaction, not a social one.

If I am woken up late at night and made to pack / unpack it would certainly ruin my sleep and consequently my stay; I would definitely expect, at the very least, a comped room for the night. Nothing to do with "compensation culture" - but treating Marriott the way I am treated.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:55 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by puchong
Au contraire, a guest staying at a hotel is a commercial transaction, not a social one.

If I am woken up late at night and made to pack / unpack it would certainly ruin my sleep and consequently my stay; I would definitely expect, at the very least, a comped room for the night. Nothing to do with "compensation culture" - but treating Marriott the way I am treated.
Exactly.

I am at that hotel for one reason: TO SLEEP. If I get awakened by a phone call and forced to move, even to a Palatial suite, I'm not falling back to sleep for at least an hour, which defeats the entire purpose of why I am at that hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.