Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on payment options for a long-term stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2023, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold

I am starting a 40 night CY stay - for work
I will be reimbursed in a timely manner for my hotel bills
...is there any reason to pay it all off at the end - 1 big lump payment (assuming I have enough credit available)
vs weekly (or so) interval payments?

I stayed at a RI recently and they billed me every $1k (for unclear reasons) - and with each bill, I got the elite nights and points credited to my account so I didnt have to wait until the very end.... was nice seeing that, but really didnt make a difference

I asked the CY people - and they didnt really care either way - but they said they didnt think anything would credit until the end of the stay.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mfirst
...is there any reason to pay it all off at the end - 1 big lump payment (assuming I have enough credit available)

I stayed at a RI recently and they billed me every $1k (for unclear reasons) - and with each bill, I got the elite nights and points credited to my account so I didnt have to wait until the very end.... was nice seeing that, but really didnt make a difference

I asked the CY people - and they didnt really care either way - but they said they didnt think anything would credit until the end of the stay.
For even longer stays - monthly.

For your 40 night stay, go with two payments at 20 nights each.

David
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
We had a long-term stay (two and a half months) at a RI last year, and my recollection is that they bill you periodically. They definitely don't wait till the end of your stay to bill you, which is great, because it means your elite status can rise during your stay.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I'd prefer a more frequent billing. Perhaps once a week? That way I could get reimbursed sooner.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'd prefer to not have to file as many expenses. Every two or three weeks would be fine with me.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Mar 18, 2023 at 5:52 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
If you are going to do 40 days consistent in the same room, see if you can get some of the taxes removed.I

n many places, you become a tenant after 30 days. And certain hotel taxes are waived as a result.

Of course, if somebody else is paying, there is less of an incentive to do so.
krakendown likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mfirst

Every property (this is mostly a thing at extended stay brands) either has some type of high limit report that is checked daily and/or the management has a pre-determined house limit that once your balance gets to that point, they're charging your card. IME, in 15+ years working at extended stay brands you normally try to work with a guest as to some type of set schedule be it weekly (most common) or once the outstanding balance reaches an agreed upon dollar amount and while anything is possible, I've never worked at/heard/know of a property that will allow a balance to go for that length of time. Also, they are correct in telling you that until they settle charges at whatever interval is agreed upon, no nights/points will post to your account.

Originally Posted by Xero
If you are going to do 40 days consistent in the same room, see if you can get some of the taxes removed.I

n many places, you become a tenant after 30 days. And certain hotel taxes are waived as a result.

Of course, if somebody else is paying, there is less of an incentive to do so.
Fwiw, properties have plenty of incentive to ensure that occupancy taxes are properly refunded to guests because if they don't, at some point in time one or more government entities will do an audit and fines can be very stiff per each incorrect transaction (i.e. not refunding or refunding too much).
SPN Lifer and clarkef like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by ysolde
We had a long-term stay (two and a half months) at a RI last year, and my recollection is that they bill you periodically. They definitely don't wait till the end of your stay to bill you, which is great, because it means your elite status can rise during your stay.
Also my experience at a RI I stay at annually. They bill in one week increments and I'm quite happy with that. Points accrued quicker and could be used while planning stays elsewhere.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.