Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Not seeing value in Bonvoy vs hotels.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Booking through Bonvoy is often more expensive than hotels.com. I recently booked 8 nights in Maui and the Marriott Bonvoy price was $9554. I paid 8406 at hotels .com. All fees included on both. I know I missed out on 100k points from Marriott but I saved over $1000 on hotels and still joined their program where you get a free night after ten nights stayed. Bonvoy also restricts the rooms you can get through their website. I called Bonvoy and was told that I was “ignorant” of the rules. ( as a gold elite Bonvoy member I of course tried to book with them first). They refused to help and did nothing to compensate me. Moral of the story is to do the math. Also it seems that their new loyalty ambassadors have been outsourced to overseas call centers. It used to be you spoke to corporate, not anymore.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Did you try claiming Best Rate Guarantee? You could've had further 25% off the matched amount and earn Marriott points on top.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Welcome to FT. If the rate is less on Hotels.com compared to Marriott you can usually do a Best Rate Guarantee and get 25% off the rate on Hotels.com plus earn points and get your elite benefits.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
It is always tough. Ultimately, Bonvoy is a marketing program. All of that talk about "loyalty" is just marketing, a scheme to make us spend more on Marriott properties so Marriott makes more money.

I am not blaming Marriott on this. Marriott is not a charity, but a for profit business.

As a consumer, our job is to shop around and find the best deal for us. Competition is what allows capitalism to work. If you find Hotels.com works better for you, book right there. You get the convenience, for example, of not having to go though a hassle with making a BRG claim. After all, BRG can be risky if your room is nonrefundable and the BRG is denied.
clarkef likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by patrick18976
Booking through Bonvoy is often more expensive than hotels.com. I recently booked 8 nights in Maui and the Marriott Bonvoy price was $9554. I paid 8406 at hotels .com. All fees included on both. I know I missed out on 100k points from Marriott but I saved over $1000 on hotels and still joined their program where you get a free night after ten nights stayed. Bonvoy also restricts the rooms you can get through their website. I called Bonvoy and was told that I was “ignorant” of the rules. ( as a gold elite Bonvoy member I of course tried to book with them first). They refused to help and did nothing to compensate me. Moral of the story is to do the math. Also it seems that their new loyalty ambassadors have been outsourced to overseas call centers. It used to be you spoke to corporate, not anymore.
If you're Gold, how can you judge the quality of Ambassador interactions?
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xero
It is always tough. Ultimately, Bonvoy is a marketing program. All of that talk about "loyalty" is just marketing, a scheme to make us spend more on Marriott properties so Marriott makes more money.

I am not blaming Marriott on this. Marriott is not a charity, but a for profit business.

As a consumer, our job is to shop around and find the best deal for us. Competition is what allows capitalism to work. If you find Hotels.com works better for you, book right there. You get the convenience, for example, of not having to go though a hassle with making a BRG claim. After all, BRG can be risky if your room is nonrefundable and the BRG is denied.
Finally, someone gets it. Discussion of loyalty and best customers is a complete feint. Frequent guests programs are marketing tools designed to make spend our travel dollars with the travel provider or its affiliates by increasing the return on those travel dollars (e.g. breakfast, upgrades, etc.) Loyalty program is just a marketing term.
BearX220 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:38 am

Loyalty programs are money makers for corporations. I remember reading an article where airlines make a significant portion of their profit by selling airlines miles to credit cards companies. As long as people join a loyalty program and want miles, the airline can sell an infinite amount of miles to credit card companies. Being able to create and sell your own currency is one hell of a great business model.
SPN Lifer and clarkef like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.