Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Caro & Selig, Tegernsee, Germany, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium

Looks like people around Munich have a new option in the nearby lakes:
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...tion/overview/

Publicly available rates seem to range between 135 and 200 EUR per night. Points rates are on the high side, around 30 K per night.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Looks like the rates have doubled overnight… Has anyone stayed here in the opening week?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:56 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I just checked also. It seems that the cheapest rate now is pre-paid at 172 EUR. Corporate rates are around EUR 175. 31 K on points. For my tastes this is priced too highly for this location. Hopefully the prices will settle at a lower rate. 135 is about the rate at which I might bite.

Please note that this hotel charges a city tax of EUR 3 per person per night. It will be included if you have checked off the box "include all taxes and fees", but probably not if you are booking an award stay.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:41 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I could not resist and just booked a redemption stay for Saturday. I will write a review post stay.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Caro & Selig, Tegernsee, Autograph Collection [Review]

Caro & Selig, Tegernsee, Autograph Collection

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Bahnhofstr. 29 Tegernsee, DE 83684

Caro & Selig, Tegernsee, Autograph Collection [Review] (27 Photos)

Overall

Oveall I can recommend this hotel as a welcome addition to the Marriott family as a relaxing getaway in one of the most pictureque locations in Germany.

Check In

IMG_5397.jpegIMG_5398.jpeg
The cash rates at his hotel tend to trend around 200 EUR. I opted for a redemption stay as a Titanium member. 

Before arrival at the hotel, I noticed that I had been upgraded to the Selig Suite King. This is an actual suite, in the sense that there is a door separating the bedroom from the remainder of the living space.

I had checked in in advance through the app, but there was no indication that anything had been prepared in this regard.

The receptionist was very friendly and the process was efficient. I was recognized as a titatnium guest. I was offered 1000 points as a welcome amentiy or a 10 USD F&B amenity. This location does not have a lounge. I was offered as a second amenity 750 points or daily breakfast. I went for the breakfast option.

This location does have a Kurtaxe which is not covered by the room rate. The fee is 3 EUR per person pre night. This fee covers free local public transportation and several free or reduced benefits. The details (in German) can be found here: Gästekarte - Gästekarte & TegernseeCard - Service - Infos- Urlaub am Tegernsee in Oberbayern.

You are also given a small booklet which offers free drinks in the rooftop bar (one for each guest). A unique offer is that it includes one wish list sheet per person. You can write onto thes a wish that you want to have fulfilled. The hotel will select some at random in the future and will try to fulfill them when possible. We will report back if our wishes get fulfilled at a later date. 

Dining

We went to the rooftop bar, Ni Bar. The view from here is stunning. Thee is a large open-air terrace with different seating options. This terrace appears to close after sunset. There is also an internal area. 

The bar is rather pricey compared to other local options, but the service and quality of drinks was excellent. The free drink offer was limited to a soft drink, small beer, glass of house wine or a house cocktail. We went for the wine and were satisfied. We also tried a piece of cake which was delicious.

Link toEnglish menu: https://caroundselig.de/media/site/27abce2d45-1681886490/menu-bar.pdf

Breakfast is served from 7:00-12:00 (weekend timings), which is very generous. I went down at 07:40 to have a cup of coffee. It was empty. I think this location has mostly guests that sleep in late. The first guests started apearing around 08:00.

The selection of food is not the largest, but sufficient. There is also an a la carte menu for hot beverages, egg dishes, Bavarian white sausages, French toast, etc.

IMG_5402.jpegIMG_5403.jpegIMG_5404.jpegIMG_5405.jpegIMG_5406.jpegIMG_5407.jpegIMG_5399.jpegIMG_5400.jpegIMG_5401.jpeg

1_70393485777__827DCE45-A418-481F-B280-B35A834ECC43.jpeg1_70393301432__64D1CF58-A46C-43BB-9070-516414A2AB7F.jpeg
first time of have seen an electric Nutella dispenser. 

The hotel has a convenient location, particularly for those coming by train. It is only a short walk from the train station. We were only staying for one night, so we had just small backpacks. However, I think even with large luggage, the walk would be manageable.

Of course the location on a lake surrounded by snow capped mountains is breathtaking. Besides some occasional traffic noise, the city of Tegernsee is quite peaceful.

IMG_5395.jpegIMG_5379.jpegIMG_5371.jpeg

Room

As the hotel just opened on March 1, everything smells new and is in excellent condition. I personally love the natural soft tones of the interior decoration.

The room is on the third floor. The view is nice, but somewhat obstructed by the neighboring house. I believe the rooms on the fourth floor are best for views.

The outside balcony is very long, has a table with two chairs. There is also a lounger for relaxing. The cushion can be found in the closet.

IMG_5408.jpeg

The bedroom also has direct access to the balcony. It has an additional television, plenty of charging options, including modern outlets offering USB-C and USB-A. There are motorized blinds for additional privacy. We found the blackout curtains to be more than sufficient. The bed was firm but comfortable.

IMG_5372.jpeg

My only minor complaint was that I generally found the room to be a tick too warm. The air conditioning system was not able to get below 20.7 C even though it was set to 19 C. There are separate thermostats for the bedroom and the lviing area.

The bathroom has multi-use bottles of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion of the brand Saint Charles Apothecary. Of particular note is the very large walk in shower with a large rain shower head. The additional handheld wand offers a quite powerful massage function.

1_IMG_5375.jpeg1_IMG_5376.jpeg1_IMG_5377.jpeg

In the living area of the room there is a Nespresso coffee machine and a water cooker. The initial contents in the mini-bar are for free. You need to pay for any re-stocking. I believe the contents was one bottle of water, two flavored waters and two bottles of local Tegernseer beer.

IMG_5373.jpegIMG_5374.jpeg

Amenities

The hotel has spa services, which I did not try, a lap pool two saunas (one was out of service) and a steam room. There are also plentry of indoor and outdoor relaxation areas. 

IMG_5412.jpegIMG_5413.jpegIMG_5414.jpeg

There is also a small fitness room. 

IMG_5415.jpeg

Caro & Selig, Tegernsee, Autograph Collection [Review]

Would you like to write a review on the Caro & Selig, Tegernsee, Autograph Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes
raunow and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:15 am

Does the hotel feature Weißwurst in their standard breakfast buffet every day?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

They are on the a la carte menus. I cannot be certain, but I believe they would be available everyday. They do not have Weissbier as part of thw breakfast, but i am fairly confident you could order and pay for one extra.

On the topic of alcohol - they do have a house labeled sparkling wine included.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
What about the pool/spa area? Did you happen tot ake some pictures as well? I guess many will visit this property to enjoy those areas?!
Old Aug 29, 2023, 1:43 pm

We had a two night stay in August 2023.

I booked a Selig twin guest room, and as titanium we got upgraded to the Bliss Superior King on the fourth floor. My daughter and I decided to share the bed.

The hotel website photos of the superior Bliss room do not match what we had. I would argue that we were in a regular Bliss room. Great mountain view. Certainly no upgrade to a suite. Though, we did not ask even though the App showed availability. We were offered a 4 p.m. late check-out without asking.

Breakfast was great. Though (as asked above) I did not see a Weißwurst sausage offering. There was sparkling wine though. Crispy-ish bacon and an a-la-carte breakfast menu with exceptional hollandaise sauce for the poached eggs. Nice hours for breakfast.

The hotel is close to the train station. Some of the rooms have a lake view. All of the higher floor rooms would surely offer a nice mountain view since the vista is 360 degrees view.

I did not look for a Marriott alternative in Tegernsee but if I happen to be there in future, I'd look for a better locale. Nothing wrong with Caro & Selig, but it is not on the lake. Perhaps a seven minute stroll to the waterfront. Overall, not what I was expecting with no research. And maybe there are no lakeside resorts.

We spent a considerable amount of cash enjoying the roof top view of the lake. Better spent in a nicer room, in my opinion.

I would stay here again though. Nice hotel.

Very easy to get to via train. We were already in Munich but travel from MUC is not onerous.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 10:57 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

There are no other Marriott options in the vicinity. The next properties would be the AC Hotel Innsbruck or the many hotels in Munich. None of these offer the alpine flair of the Caro & Selig.

Many years ago there was an Arabella Sheraton Spitzingsee, which was rebranded to Arabella Alpenhotel am Spitzingsee at least 10 years ago. That property is directly on the lake, but the lake is also a lot smaller, so the experience would be much cozier than Tegernsee overall.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:04 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I am going a bit more off topic here...

One property that I just discovered which is also rather alpine is the cōmodo, Kaiserhofstraße, Badgastein, Austria. It is a bit far from Munich - 4 hours by train, 3 hours by car. The hotel description claims it has the backdrop tor the Grand Budapest Hotel film. It also claims that Bad Gestein is known as the next Berlin (not sure where that comes from).

I searched for.a review here on Flyertalk but did not find one. Google ranks it at 4.6 stars.

Using some sample dates, it seems to have much lower rates (130-200 EUR). This is a Design Hotel, so you can also book at their website, often for lower rates, but then you do not get Bonvoy benefits.

Also note, that this property is also not on a lake.

Last edited by cbellero; Aug 29, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:21 pm

Great review @cbellero! Love this new addition to the Autograph Collection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.