Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Price increase after booking/confirmation -- is this kosher?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

This is a new one for me. Have a 4 night stay booked at the Marriott Aruba that we confirmed back in August of 2022; yesterday, received a new confirmation e-mail stating the price of our stay was increasing by $150.

Hotel states that it is because "local taxes are going up" and they are imposing this on all existing bookings.

Can they legally do this?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
If your base rate stayed the same, then it's likely the taxes did actually go up.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
If your base rate stayed the same, then it's likely the taxes did actually go up.
That's exactly what happened; I'm not questioning whether their rationale is fictional. Rather, I'm questioning whether it should be the hotel's responsibility to "eat" the difference for existing bookings, or whether they are permitted to pass on the increased costs to the customer.

When I say "permitted", I'm speaking both from a legal perspective (i.e. I did not consent to the higher price), and from a program perspective (do Marriott T+Cs allow this?)
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
When I say "permitted", I'm speaking both from a legal perspective (i.e. I did not consent to the higher price), and from a program perspective (do Marriott T+Cs allow this?)
Yes, to both. On your confirmaton email there will be a line similar to the following:

Rate Guarantee Limitation(s)

• Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.
OhDoctor and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that's good to know. This has never come up before in all my years of travel.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
If you're a cynical sort of person, not given to trusting random hotel managers/owners you've never met, you might want to have a look online about whether any new taxes on hotel rooms have been brought in in Aruba since you booked. $150 is quite a significant charge, so it would make me suspicious.

If the local government have decided to gouge tourists though there's nothing you can do other than pay up or cancel the trip.

Edit: a quick Google shows that the tourist tax rate on hotel rooms has gone from 9. 5 to 12.5% at the start of this year, so if that fits with the amount you're paying for the room that is it.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Apparently it’s real:

We will provide further guidance on this complicated matter in a separate Tax Instant Newsflash shortly. The tax rate of the Tourist Tax will be increased from 9.5% to 12.5%.Dec 1, 2022
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Deleted
Old Feb 3, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I experienced something similar but with a better customer service.

Taxes in the Maldives have increased this year. I have an upcoming booking at the St. Regis Maldives this year that was made last year (pre taxes increase). They proactively contacted me and asked if I wanted to prepay for the full stay with the old tax rate, as long as I paid in 2022 it would be OK.

I paid on the 31st of December with the rate still being refundable.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 2:18 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Lesson learned: don't go to Aruba!
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Rate Guarantee Limitation(s)

• Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price.
This should only apply to taxes. Anytime I've come across new fees between time of booking and my stay (i.e. new parking or resort fees) I've gotten those waived.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 3:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by 1P
Lesson learned: don't go to Aruba!
...Because?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:54 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
...Because?
15% is exorbitant.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
15% is exorbitant.
Similar to many other places (and the following is just for stays I have booked this year):
London 20%
Athens 14.43%
Rome 12.7%
Blue Springs, MO 16.12%
New Paris, OH 13.25%
Buenos Aires 21%
LAX 22.2%

BTW, to the OP: my guess is you've experienced this before, just not by this amount of increase so it has gone by unoticed. Quite often the rates I have booked (with taxes) end up being a bit more when I actually stay as the tax rate has increased from 5.6% to 5.8%, or 15.12% to 16.12% and in the case of short stays this may be a 50¢, $1 or $2 difference on the final bill and go unoticed. This happens to me at least a couple times a year, but then again I book my rooms 50 weeks in advance so there is plenty of time for tax changes to occur.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Feb 5, 2023 at 2:49 pm
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 1P
15% is exorbitant.
Seems to be pretty mid-range, especially in the USA, where all sorts of junk fees/taxes (government-imposed) such as for convention centers, sports venues, and other things that local taxpayers don't want to finance, but they're willing to stick it to visitors, assessments, appear on the hotel bill. Even when the hotel tax proper may be in the 10% range, the total tax assessment can be a lot higher.
EuropeanPete and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.