Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Charged For Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Not Charged For Stay?

Hey everyone. I stayed at a Westin this past weekend. I can't remember if it was a standard or prepaid rate but my email confirmation does not explicitly mention it was the latter. I had to show my credit card when I was checking in. Upon checking out, the hold on my credit card for the full amount of the stay had a corresponding negative credit. Now, I'm looking at my statement and there's no charge for my stay. Has this happened to anyone else and who should I reach out to? I have an offer on my credit card for 10% off Westin so I'd ideally like to be charged ASAP. Is there a chance that I won't be charged at all?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Ankster
Hey everyone. I stayed at a Westin this past weekend. I can't remember if it was a standard or prepaid rate but my email confirmation does not explicitly mention it was the latter. I had to show my credit card when I was checking in. Upon checking out, the hold on my credit card for the full amount of the stay had a corresponding negative credit. Now, I'm looking at my statement and there's no charge for my stay. Has this happened to anyone else and who should I reach out to? I have an offer on my credit card for 10% off Westin so I'd ideally like to be charged ASAP. Is there a chance that I won't be charged at all?
You’re not sure if you were on a prepaid rate, though. I’d go back through your credit card statements and make sure.

Otherwise, it sometimes takes a week or so to post to your card. I’d probably contact the property in a week if nothing posts. I once had paid a Hyatt, and they had put a hold on the funds, but never “seized” the transaction. A year later, out of the blue, they recharged the amount.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You’re not sure if you were on a prepaid rate, though. I’d go back through your credit card statements and make sure.

Otherwise, it sometimes takes a week or so to post to your card. I’d probably contact the property in a week if nothing posts. I once had paid a Hyatt, and they had put a hold on the funds, but never “seized” the transaction. A year later, out of the blue, they recharged the amount.
I booked the hotel in the morning of the same day in which the hotel stay started so I definitely didn't miss a charge. I didn't realize it could take up to a week to see the charge. I've had 80+ nights in Marriotts this year and have never had that happen.

Last edited by Ankster; Nov 23, 2022 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had it happen 2-3 weeks ago, that it took a week for the charge to come through. The "hold" was released on checkout and the final bill processed a week later....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I stayed at a Courtyard on a Caribbean island in September. I checked out on the app and requested a folio. I received a folio once again just a few days ago (2 months after the stay) and just then did I realize that they had never charged the card before. I am pretty certain if I had cancelled my card, they would not have been able to get the money. It's also worth noting that the stay never posted until I retro claimed it. I am not sure if the hotel found out about it due to the claim or if it was a routine audit. So it does happen. The process is a lot more manual than you think.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I stayed at a Courtyard on a Caribbean island in September. I checked out on the app and requested a folio. I received a folio once again just a few days ago (2 months after the stay) and just then did I realize that they had never charged the card before. I am pretty certain if I had cancelled my card, they would not have been able to get the money. It's also worth noting that the stay never posted until I retro claimed it. I am not sure if the hotel found out about it due to the claim or if it was a routine audit. So it does happen. The process is a lot more manual than you think.
Even though you cancel a card you could still get a charge which you are responsible for.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
The odd part is that I already received the elite night credits and points for my stay. Should I reach out to the hotel? I'd like to use my Westin offer and I figure that an audit will eventually catch the lack of charges.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I see a charge has now posted so this is resolved. I just needed to be a bit more patient. Thanks all!
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I had something similar happen at a Hyatt this week. Prepaid rate but never charged until checkout and they only charged me for F&B then realized their mistake just as I was pulling into the airport so they called me and fixed it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Originally Posted by Ankster
I see a charge has now posted so this is resolved. I just needed to be a bit more patient. Thanks all!
Rats, I was looking forward to a complaint that you didn't get points for a stay for which you weren't charged.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.