Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Poughkeepsie NY, Guest shot dead by homeless housed at hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway

A hotel guest was killed in the lobby of the Courtyard Poughkeepsie NY by bullets fired during a fight between two homeless men inside the hotel. The homeless men shared a room at the hotel and were being housed there.

Investigators searched the hotel room the men shared and discovered materials that could be used to make explosives as well as bomb-making manuals.

Dad killed while visiting Marist student for Family Weekend identified as Paul Kutz (nypost.com)

I would like to know which Marriott Brands are being used to house homeless persons and what actions are taken to ensure that these homeless persons do not bring weapons or other dangerous materials where they pose a clear danger to other hotel guests.

How can Marriott ensure my safety if I stay in a US-based hotel?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:21 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Non-homeless people have guns, too. Lots of hotels have starting helping get the unhoused off the street since Covid started. I doubt there is a list available to the public as to which ones are providing this service.

Some have also housed college students, first responders, and medical workers who need to be close to their hospitals. Do you want lists of those, too?
Markie, GUWonder, fwfdan and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Fair enough.
What actions are taken to ensure that persons do not bring weapons or other dangerous materials where they pose a clear danger to other hotel guests?
jaejaez likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Fair enough.
What actions are taken to ensure that persons do not bring weapons or other dangerous materials where they pose a clear danger to other hotel guests?
There’s not much a hotel can do. Do you want to go through a metal detector? Do you want your bags inspected? I stayed at one hotel with metal detectors and explosive/drug sniffing dogs, and it’s gets old quickly when you’re coming and going.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bjdj94
There’s not much a hotel can do. Do you want to go through a metal detector? Do you want your bags inspected? I stayed at one hotel with metal detectors and explosive/drug sniffing dogs, and it’s gets old quickly when you’re coming and going.
Airports have security checks. Hotels should do the same.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Airports have security checks. Hotels should do the same.
Regardless of how you feel this is not going to happen.
milski, FMDXR, zephyr17 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Regardless of how you feel this is not going to happen.
Actually, as these events continue to occur in the US, that is EXACTLY what will happen.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
While the individuals were described as homeless, there is no indication they were being housed there through any kind of assistance program, contract with the hotel, etc. The perpetrators could have simply been paying for a room.

While tragic it is as close to a random crime as you can get. Hotels do training for suspicious activity (weapons, human trafficking, drugs, etc), and you have to hope hotel workers put it to use (though it can't be used to stop all criminal activity).

EDIT:

In a statement provided to Fox News, Dutchess County Department of Community & Family Services Commissioner Sabrina Jaar Marzouka said the homeless suspects "were neither known as Department of Community and Family Services clients nor placed in that hotel by Dutchess County."

She added that the agency does not work the Courtyard by Marriott "for any housing services."
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Actually, as these events continue to occur in the US, that is EXACTLY what will happen.
Security and metal detectors at every limited service hotel?

Nope.

Regardless of how you feel, this is not going to be the outcome.
GUWonder, fwfdan, milski and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Security and metal detectors at every limited service hotel?

Nope.

Regardless of how you feel, this is not going to be the outcome.
Then I will have to act appropriately and not travel to the US.
fwfdan, arf04 and gudugan like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Looks like this might not be state sponsored housing but in NYS they were using hotels during the pandemic to house shelter overflow. I was at a TPS/FI/CY/AFT complex in Buffalo for several weeks at the start of 2021 and there were a couple of folks staying. At least one used an assistive device full time so maybe they were trying to maintain distance for the more comprised folks staying at the shelter.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Hotels all over the country have homeless people in them. Much of the time they pay weekly and they have made the choice to live in a hotel or motel. Sometimes a hotel is part of a program that pays hotels to house homeless people. In both instances you will not be getting a list of those hotels. You should assume that every hotel other than the highest level hotel may have a homeless person in it.

Also, there will never be metal detectors or searches done of hotel guests. Plan accordingly.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrldwide1
Plan accordingly.
No more travel to the US. The level of gun violence there is completely unacceptable.
fwfdan, SUPERTRAVEL, arf04 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Technically, Lucky from One Mile at a Time was "homeless" for a while, and living out of luxury hotels 365 days a year.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
No more travel to the US. The level of gun violence there is completely unacceptable.

Have you worked out the relative probability vs all travel risks?

I used to worry about European airports where I used to see guys carrying machine pistols to use on culprits after they had killed me
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.