Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Earn Elite Night Credits for Spouse’s Stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

I’m a Marriott Bonvoy member. My wife is an additional card holder on my Marriott Bonvoy Visa. My family will be going away for a 4 night vacation (without me) and plan on staying at either a Marriott hotel or will try one of the Home & Villa properties. If I book the stay using my Bonvoy login, but change the Billing Name and Address on the reservation screen to my wife’s name (so she can check in?), and my wife uses our Marriott credit card, would we get credit for those Elite nights? We’re just a few stays from getting Platinum, so I’m really hoping so. Thanks!

Edit: I did a mock booking for Homes & Villas and the reservation fills the “Primary Guest Information” with my name, so it doesn’t look like I’d be able to book it for my wife anyway.

Last edited by HiGHJiNKS; Sep 24, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Time to sign her up for a Marriott Bonvy account.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Time to sign her up for a Marriott Bonvy account.
So if she had her own Bonvoy account but paid for the stay with my card (she’s the additional card holder) who would the Elite nights go to?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The form of payment is irrelevant when she does it herself using a credit card with her name on it. If the reservation is made from her Marriott account in her name with her Marriott account number, she will get the Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN). You will get the credit card points.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The form of payment is irrelevant when she does it herself using a credit card with her name on it. If the reservation is made from her Marriott account in her name with her Marriott account number, she will get the Elite Qualifying Nights (EQN). You will get the credit card points.
Thanks for the info, though not what I was hoping for. With being so close to platinum, it was the only reason she had to stay at a Marriott property. There are other brands with nicer properties in the area so I’m guessing she’ll choose one of those instead.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:14 am

Yes!

Even though you change the name on the reservation it’s still under your bonvoy number and account so the points & nights earned will go to your account.
HiGHJiNKS likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is the getaway hotel so far away that you cannot join your wife for check-in, hand her the keys and then turn around to go home?

Or take advantage of the wife's absence to go spend a weekend at a Marriott hotel yourself...
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Make the reservation under your name (make sure you book for at least 2 people). You cannot add your wife's name to the reservation yourself. Call in to CS and ask them to add your wife's name to the reservation as "she will be arriving before you". Do not indicate that you won't be there. Also, your wife should not say you won't be there. Have additional family members stay away from the front desk at check in. Your wife will be asked for a credit card. That's fine. If you are in NA, there's a 90-95% chance the stay will credit to your account. If hotel realizes you are not there, they may remove your MAR number from the reservation.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
HiGHJiNKS and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Make the reservation under your name (make sure you book for at least 2 people). You cannot add your wife's name to the reservation yourself. Call in to CS and ask them to add your wife's name to the reservation as "she will be arriving before you". Do not indicate that you won't be there. Also, your wife should not say you won't be there. Have additional family members stay away from the front desk at check in. Your wife will be asked for a credit card. That's fine. If you are in NA, there's a 90-95% chance the stay will credit to your account. If hotel realizes you are not there, they may remove your MAR number from the reservation.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
If he logs in on a computer or laptop he’ll be able to change the reservation from his name to his wife’s name, he won’t need to call customer service. If you haven’t booked already when they’re asking for guest information just go ahead and put your wife’s info instead of yours.
HiGHJiNKS likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Sort of a related question - heading to Florida in February and I will have to go back to work half way through the stay. I will be there at check in, but it will just be my spouse (and my card) and check out. Any problems getting points for that stay?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:38 pm

Just add her name in the notes. I do it all the time. They don't care. It's not a big deal. I consider it OUR Marriott account. Just put "ALLOW MRS HIGH JINKS TO LOG IN" in the reservation. It's in an odd place - CHOOSE ROOM FEATURES. It has worked fine 100% of the time. Some people will judge you as unethical for doing this but we all draw the line where we draw the line.
HiGHJiNKS likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Is the getaway hotel so far away that you cannot join your wife for check-in, hand her the keys and then turn around to go home?

Or take advantage of the wife's absence to go spend a weekend at a Marriott hotel yourself...
The trip is with my mother-in-law, sooooo ya know? It’s a couple hours away but worst case I guess I could check-in and return home.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GirlJoey
If he logs in on a computer or laptop he’ll be able to change the reservation from his name to his wife’s name, he won’t need to call customer service. If you haven’t booked already when they’re asking for guest information just go ahead and put your wife’s info instead of yours.
I’ll give that a try. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by GirlJoey
I just tried this using website with my iPad and an existing reservation. I cannot change the name on the reservation. That field is locked for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.