Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Does gold status actually get you anything?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does gold status actually get you anything?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
It's probably worth noting that you couldn't get SPG gold merely by holding two ~$95/yr credit cards like you can today
I got SPG gold for absolutely nothing. They just sent the card, probably bought my info from my Air Canada or National Car Rental status. Funny thing is I hit Platinum that year, and have been Platinum or better every year since (and am now LT Plat). So that marketing program worked.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:24 am

It also depends on what brand you travel with. If you go to high end hotels you are less likely to get an upgrade. I stay at a lot of RI properties, and often get an upgrade. A studio to 1 bedroom or 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom.

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
It's probably worth noting that you couldn't get SPG gold merely by holding two ~$95/yr credit cards like you can today
You only need 1 card for Gold, the Business card gives automatic gold. The free Bonvoy Bold gives 15 nights also, so you can get Gold by only paying for 1 card before the change for business to give Gold automatically
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Pre-Bonvoy Gold got me lounge access at a variety of properties. I “earned” that status from my Amex Plat and my UA Elite status match. It earned Marriott a decent share of my travel spend that otherwise might have gone to Hilton (Diamond).

With Bonvoy Gold doesn’t seem worth a whole lot and I have reduced my spend accordingly. There is one property (Sheraton FRA) where I have gotten a club upgrade twice in the last year. Not bad, and while I could get free breakfast at one of the Hilton properties at the airport, too, I will continue to consider them going forward.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
As a Gold member I've been able to use the late check out(2 pm) benefit very often. Last month I was able to check out at 3 pm with no issues at a residence inn by MSP. I've gotten 1 to 2 upgrades per year but as others have mentioned ,these have happened usually on low tier properties. Most of the time I get the extra points.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Pre-Bonvoy Gold got me lounge access at a variety of properties.
The Guaranteed Lounge Access benefit has not changed for Marriott legacy brands, but the name of the elite tier has changed.

In the old Marriott Rewards program, the elite tier for 50 elite-qualifying nights was called Gold.

In the current Marriott Bonvoy program,, the elite tier for 50 elite-qualifying nights is called Platinum Elite. That's because the names of Marriott Bonvoy tiers are more closely aligned with the old SPG elite tiers.

This can get confusing when reading old reviews on FlyerTalk or TripAdvisor. You'll read things like, "As a Gold member, this hotel provided a a full breakfast buffet in the restaurant because they don't have a lounge..." and other testimonials to the value of being a Gold member. In fact, you need to mentally translate any Gold to Platinum when you read review from before August 18, 2018.

Also, there was time after Marriott's 2016 acquisition of Starwood but before the programs were merged in 2018 when SPG Gold members got the same benefits as Marriott Rewards Gold members at Marriott legacy properties, even though SPG Gold was actually a lower tier.
SPN Lifer, gfunkdave, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
The Guaranteed Lounge Access benefit has not changed for Marriott legacy brands, but the name of the elite tier has changed.

In the old Marriott Rewards program, the elite tier for 50 elite-qualifying nights was called Gold.

In the current Marriott Bonvoy program,, the elite tier for 50 elite-qualifying nights is called Platinum Elite. That's because the names of Marriott Bonvoy tiers are more closely aligned with the old SPG elite tiers.

This can get confusing when reading old reviews on FlyerTalk or TripAdvisor. You'll read things like, "As a Gold member, this hotel provided a a full breakfast buffet in the restaurant because they don't have a lounge..." and other testimonials to the value of being a Gold member. In fact, you need to mentally translate any Gold to Platinum when you read review from before August 18, 2018.

Also, there was time after Marriott's 2016 acquisition of Starwood but before the programs were merged in 2018 when SPG Gold members got the same benefits as Marriott Rewards Gold members at Marriott legacy properties, even though SPG Gold was actually a lower tier.
Ahh this is probably why I was confused too. I remember SPG Gold getting lounge access and the like and must have been confused on some level why my current gold status wasn't good enough and why Marriott changed it to Platinum to get lounge access.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I was briefly a Gold with Marriott around 10-12 years ago and made Platinum shortly thereafter (jump from 50 to 75 nights not hard). Haven't been anything lower since. I don't remember much of what the perks were back then, but nowadays I can tell you that as a Titanium, my expectations for any U.S. properties are much lower than rest of the world.

In the U.S. an upgraded room is a 2BR suite in a Residence Inn or maybe 1BR suite in a Courtyard. Upgrade in a standard Fairfield, Springhill etc = getting a room on the the quiet side of the building not facing the interstate highway, etc. And this is as a Titanium, so don't expect much as a Gold.

Outside the U.S. you will probably get some recognition and maybe a nicer room as a Gold. However I would suggest you try to earn your way to Plat via stays or co-branded CC with elite night credits where the benefits really come into play. The breakfast and lounge access is easily worth 30-50 USD/day at anything from a Courtyard to full service Marriott/Renaissance, etc, depending on how much you want to eat and drink (beer/wine usually complementary). Reward stays abroad are where I am reminded that all those nights in a Fairfield eventually pay off...
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, I've already got the Bonvoy Amex (I originally got it as the SPG Amex in about 2004 when the annual fee was $35) so I get I think 15 elite night credits a year from that.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
2 p.m. late checkout is good benefit, but it's subject to availability.
A benefit subject to availability is no benefit at all.
nacho likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Well, kinda. As far as I recall, the Amex Plat card offered Marriott Gold status. And United/Marriott’s RewardsPlus offered Marriott Gold match for certain elites. They still offer Bonvoy Gold, but the benefits that people really cared about now require Bonvoy Platinum.

So if the Gold level was effectively renamed Platinum, then those partner benefits were downgraded.

(I am writing this from a Hilton property, sitting on my balcony looking at the nearby Sheraton… without this downgrade I probably would have stayed at the Sheraton… $1500 in revenue).
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:57 pm

I got a suite upgrade this spring and had it taken away upon arrival at a Fairfield.

At a Courtyard a couple weekends ago I got to spin a wheel and got 250 Bonvoy points. Woohoo!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: United 1k, American Express Platinum
You have to wait until you hit Titanium in order to receive nothing from Marriott.
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Best benefits of Marriott gold are enhanced points earnings, 2 PM checkout (I have pretty good success at getting this). Sometimes I will get a slightly better room.

FWIW, Marriott Gold is available via credit card. So is Hyatt Explorist, and Hilton Diamond. Hilton doesn't promise suite upgrades to any elite tier (though they are more likely with Diamond). Hyatt only promises suite upgrades to Globalists (their top tier). Marriott will start giving you suites at Platinum. So you need to qualify with paid stays (or a lot of credit card spending in the case of Marriott/Hyatt) to get to an elite tier with suite upgrades anywhere. Hotel groups aren't going to give away suite upgrades to anyone that can get a credit card.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DallasEsq (Post # 15)
The Marriott Bonvy business AmEx is $125.
Schnit likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Best benefits of Marriott gold are enhanced points earnings, 2 PM checkout (I have pretty good success at getting this). Sometimes I will get a slightly better room.

FWIW, Marriott Gold is available via credit card. So is Hyatt Explorist, and Hilton Diamond. Hilton doesn't promise suite upgrades to any elite tier (though they are more likely with Diamond). Hyatt only promises suite upgrades to Globalists (their top tier). Marriott will start giving you suites at Platinum. So you need to qualify with paid stays (or a lot of credit card spending in the case of Marriott/Hyatt) to get to an elite tier with suite upgrades anywhere. Hotel groups aren't going to give away suite upgrades to anyone that can get a credit card.
I am really curious to see how the Marriott credit card line up shakes out with the revamped line up supposedly coming out in 2 weeks. In my completely uninformed opinion, Platinum will become even free or more easily attainable with spend on the Brilliant to offset the higher annual fee. If this is the case Platinum upgrades may become harder to get since the number of platinums will greatly increase, like Hilton Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.