Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late check in

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:25 pm

most hotels roll the day between 2-3 am in the morning. If you are arriving late, id wait until the night audit comes in at 11 pm to let them know. chances of a communication breakdown if calling someone on a previous shift and risks of communication breakdown are much higher
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
There have been posters on FT who have reported being unable to check in because they arrived too late and were marked as no-shows. Maybe it was 4 a.m., maybe it has only happened once a year, but it's poor advice (at best) to call it an urban legend or a myth. Others who frequent this forum have read the posts I am thinking of. Use the search feature to find them if you wish.
It's actually great advice which is why I gave it. The poster I was responding to said that you must contact a property by 1159pm or else and I responded in kind that it is a myth because well...it is. I've been in the industry for over two decades and I have never worked somewhere/stayed somewhere/heard of a property no showing reservations at 1159pm systematically. Does it happen? Sure, no doubt, there are rogue auditors or desk managers/supervisors but too many posters on this site take extreme outliers and then repackage it as something that happens regularly.

4am is not 11:59pm which is where the discussion started and what I was responding to. You're right that at some point between 11pm and 7am the date will get rolled and if you didn't check in your reservation will change to GNS status but it's not happening at 11:59pm and IME, most times when it does happen, it's usually the guest's fault as they said nothing/did nothing but expect the property to be able to read their mind. The ultra-niche that is FT is by no means the overwhelming bulk of the travelling public.

Maybe I'm being a bit callous but the flip side of what so many people on this site talk about frequently with incompetent/undertrained/uncaring desk agents are guests who have no clue about cancellation policies or assume that because of status rules and normalities don't apply to them then make an a$$ of themselves by losing it at the desk and threaten to call everyone on planet earth because they can't accept they screwed something up and want to blame the property for their mistake. That happens far more then a property no-showing a reservation at 11:59pm.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by The Road Goes On Forever; Sep 4, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:48 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I worked night audit too and the no-show posts when I run the close of my ledgers.... which, depending on the days, could be any time between 2am and 3am. It really depends on each hotel and procedure. it's rare that it will happen at 00:01AM though. But to be safe, always inform the hotel that you are arriving after midnight. What is this gonna cost you? a few bucks max if you're roaming and have no data access... it's worth the peace of mind.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
There have been posters on FT who have reported being unable to check in because they arrived too late and were marked as no-shows. Maybe it was 4 a.m., maybe it has only happened once a year, but it's poor advice (at best) to call it an urban legend or a myth. Others who frequent this forum have read the posts I am thinking of. Use the search feature to find them if you wish.
IIRC, the issues reported by these posters were :
1) They arrived after midnight and didn’t have a room because the property was oversold. Their room had been given away because they were first on the list to be bumped.
2) They arrived after midnight and got their room, but then failed to get Bonvoy credit because they missed the cutoff.

I don’t recall any instances of reservations being summarily cancelled at midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.