Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy beach hotels in Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *

There might be an existing similar thread, but I could not find it.

I will be in Thailand at the beginning and at the end of December for business, but will take a vacation in between. Last year, I went back to Koh Samui, where I had not gone for a number of years (Vana Belle, InterContinental & Conrad). This year, the rates are obviously quite a bit higher and I am not keen on going back to Samui.
I keep looking at the Marriott options for beach hotels, have been to many of them, not crazy about Phuket and find Khao Lak a bit boring, although it is a good base to go to the Similan islands (unfortunately, there are no longer accommodation there - I probably would not have liked much to stay at the cabins they had), but I can't find anything exciting enough to start a booking process.
I have been to Koh Lanta (Pimalai), Koh Phi Phi, Koh Pha Ngan (liked the Anantara, there), Koh Lipe (liked it very much the 1st time around / Idyllic opening, but not the 2nd time / Serendipity), Krabi (Rayavadee, then Sheraton), Trang (many years ago with the Amari opening), Hua Hin (Pranburi Villas and Marriott) and probably to a few other beach destinations, that I am forgetting. I can't remember the names of those beautiful beaches that I see on the TG videos, that they play before the flights, although those videos do not necessarily represent the reality.

Unfortunately, this option is out of my budget:
https://www.boatinthebay.com/bib-itinerary/4-day-private-yacht-charter-phuket-similan-islands/

Looking for suggestions.

The other option is taking a PG flight to go back to the Maldives.

The older you get, the harder it is to discover new places (rich people problem, I know).
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
There are not many options left going off your list..! Khao Lak has some great new seafood restaurants that have opened up post covid and Samet Nangshe is worth a day visit for the views if you have not been there.

You didn’t mention the not so glamorous Pattaya but obviously not really worth a visit unless passing through to go somewhere such as Koh Chang.

Although titled beach what about heading north to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? LM Chiang Mai has received a decent make over this year and the weather would be great in Dec. Chiang Rai would also have nice weather but I reckon the place is better enjoyed during the rainy season if heading to places such as Phu Chi Fa..

Obviously a Marriott forum but Marriott hotels prices are not very appealing in Thailand at the moment..
nexus7556 and UASPG like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Will08

You didn’t mention the not so glamorous Pattaya but obviously not really worth a visit unless passing through to go somewhere such as Koh Chang.

Although titled beach what about heading north to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? LM Chiang Mai has received a decent make over this year and the weather would be great in Dec. Chiang Rai would also have nice weather but I reckon the place is better enjoyed during the rainy season if heading to places such as Phu Chi Fa..
You are right about Pattaya: it is not on my list. I have considered Koh Chang a few times, but never finalized my plans.

As we do business with suppliers in Chiang Mai, over the years, I have probably been there over 200 times. I went to Chiang Rai a few times - the last time it was by car, coming back from Myanmar, but have never been to Phu Chi Fa.

If the situation was not what it is in Myanmar, I would have gone to Ngapali or Ngwe Saung.

I have never been lucky with the weather in Vietnam (Danang, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Mui Ne, Con Dao, Dalat, Can Tho, HCMC, Hanoi, Sapa, ...) during the month of December.
I visited some of those places before the Chinese tourism boom and do not think that those places are now as interesting, especially Sapa.

Thank you for your recommendations.
nexus7556 and Will08 like this.

Last edited by UASPG; Sep 1, 2022 at 4:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.