Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott bonvoy “points rooms”; no upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold

This is the second time I’ve booked into the springhill suites in great falls and the FD clerk referred to my room as a “points room” with no upgrades available as it’s a “points room”. As a platinum, aren’t we supposed to be upgraded if available? The fd clerk commented that the upgraded rooms are available but supervisor said not to give one for points rooms, as too many people ask for upgrades. Is there any recourse; does hotel have discretion to just not upgrade? It takes a lot to earn those points for use!

Last edited by kh2866; Aug 4, 2022 at 8:35 pm Reason: Delete auto spell corrects
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Of course this is b.s. but what kind of UG would you be getting anyway? There are quite a few threads reporting room bookings on points being 2nd tier. Also recognize that Platinum is only a mid-tier status with Marriott and the hotel might have a substantive number of guest at the 3 levels above Platinum
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Of course this is b.s. but what kind of UG would you be getting anyway? There are quite a few threads reporting room bookings on points being 2nd tier. Also recognize that Platinum is only a mid-tier status with Marriott and the hotel might have a substantive number of guest at the 3 levels above Platinum
a room with a balcony instead of the regular rooms with no opening windows/ balconies
thanks RE the other threads- I seem to be poor at finding them. Good point- I’ve been platinum for 16 years back from when it was the highest at 75 nights unless I’m remembering wrong. Marriott sent me a Christmas gift the year I stayed 200 nights. Knew it meant I spent way too many nights in hotels!! I’m finally trying to use my points and it’s disappointing when you don’t get treated the same way as all those nights you’ve paid for.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also recognize that Platinum is only a mid-tier status with Marriott and the hotel might have a substantive number of guest at the 3 levels above Platinum
Platinum still has a guaranteed upgrade benefit.

It's also the highest lifetime status now achievable.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Also recognize that Platinum is only a mid-tier status with Marriott and the hotel might have a substantive number of guest at the 3 levels above Platinum
what are the 3 levels above Platinum?
Titanium, Ambassador & ?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
what are the 3 levels above Platinum?
Titanium, Ambassador & ?
Cobalt
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I have received quite a few suite upgrades when booking on points most noticeable W koh Samui… extreme wow 2 bed villa..

Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:57 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
As a lowly gold (via CC) just last month I received an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite on a points redemption at the WDW Swan Reserve (autograph collection property) which was a pleasant surprise.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At res inn moreno valley (near la) I was told that they do not upgrade on points reservation. We had 1 br and 2 br was available. I have been upgraded on numerous occasions on award stays in the past so it depends on property.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by azepine00
At res inn moreno valley (near la) I was told that they do not upgrade on points reservation. We had 1 br and 2 br was available. I have been upgraded on numerous occasions on award stays in the past so it depends on property.
The published rule does not depend on the property, although what they do without a fight does.
Tanic likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by reggiekush
Cobalt
Thanks
reggiekush likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by reggiekush
Cobalt
Don’t forget Michael Ironside is above Cobalt status.
vishalgupta22 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by kh2866
This is the second time I’ve booked into the springhill suites in great falls and the FD clerk referred to my room as a “points room” with no upgrades available as it’s a “points room”. As a platinum, aren’t we supposed to be upgraded if available?
We're supposed to get lots of things!

does hotel have discretion to just not upgrade?
Effectively, yes. If it wasn't a "points room", the offending hotel would have invented some other reason to deny upgrades.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Platinum still has a guaranteed upgrade benefit.
Correct. Marriott guarantees that if a rogue hotel wants to deny you your rightful upgrade for whatever reason they want, they can. Marriott guarantees no repercussions to the many properties who ignore the rules.
Tanic and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Herb687; Aug 6, 2022 at 12:58 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Correct. Marriott guarantees that if a rogue hotel wants to deny you your rightful upgrade for whatever reason they want, they can. Marriott guarantees no repercussions to the many properties who ignore the rules.
And we have a choice not to book Marriott properties that don't follow the rules, and to substantially decrease our overall Marriott spend since corporate won't enforce the rules against rogue properties.

You asked about W Westwood in a different thread (you're welcome, btw); they've been very generous with upgrades in my two stays this year, both on points.
Tanic likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Kacee
And we have a choice not to book Marriott properties that don't follow the rules, and to substantially decrease our overall Marriott spend since corporate won't enforce the rules against rogue properties.

You asked about W Westwood in a different thread (you're welcome, btw); they've been very generous with upgrades in my two stays this year, both on points.
And that property surprised me with a gift and signed letter in my room to celebrate my 10th stay at a W hotel. I didn't even realize the brand tracked stuff like that. Course that was back in the SPG days. But it was a great touch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.