Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Injury during hotel stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'd also love to see photos of the wound, and the offending water sprinkler near the parking space. Based on the OP's account, he's either the clumsiest and unluckiest guest ever, or this hotel has a parade of guests with slashed arms due to this deathtrap parking space.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:22 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I also am interested in a water sprinkler inside a garage. Maybe I am expecting a lawn type sprinkler and OP means a fire extinguishing sprinkler that usually would be near the ceiling?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++

My privacy is one of the things I value the most.
I will not post here pics with my injury or which can identify me.

But for the rest, my dear forensics: have at it...

When you exit the driver seat, you try to exit sideways and therefore face the car and turn your back to the wall. It is known that underground parkings do not feature the brightest lights. And even if they would, you exit sideways with the back against the wall to mind the car and the ramp. Then any normal sized male (I'm size L/XL) would scratch the back of his left shoulder on the small piece of sharp metal covering the sprinkler which is closer to the front of the car.
That piece of metal had surprisingly sharp edges and was very firmly positioned. In the confruntation between human shoulder and it, the metal will always win.
The receptionist, who was size 3XL, was not even able to enter/exit the car and had to duck to avoid the sprinkler.

Due to the ramp, you cannot park your car in any other position.
You must park the car with its front out and park with low tolerance. You may notice I've tried as much as I could to park away from the wall - there are a few cm between the wheel and the ramp margin.
So you are forced to make exactly these moves - which guaranteed will result in a scratch for a L/XL person.
Maybe if you're an S or XS you might have your shoulder under the sprinkler and also more space to maneuver.

I remember during the pandemic I was literally the only guest in the hotel, which is farely new.
They offer the parking complimentary now, which makes it very busy.
In that area is impossible to park on the street and underground parking anywhere in the city is rather scarce.
Not all hotel parking spots feature a ramp. About half of them do. Of course, all non-ramp parking spots were taken. During covid, I was choosing one of the best spots, non-ramp, close to the elevator, as the parking was empty.
That night, arriving very late and hotel being full, I've was happy with anything.

So my guess is I was perhaps the first ever to park on that specific spot.
Is quite far from the hotel elevator but close to the parking entry.
One of the most difficult to park into, considering the maneuvers you have to make to place your car in the straight position required by the ramp.
chemengin and ewoo like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
IMO, that shouldn't have been made a sparking space. I have a condo in BC with an underground parking space. The space was very tight. When city govt found out, they had it condemned and was given a new one.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
What is this ramp for?
Is it a duplex Parking?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mb123
What is this ramp for?
Is it a duplex Parking?
That was my first reaction and question as well but then I noted that the structure doesn't cover the front tires so don't believe it is. Unless it is a duplex for minis or other such small vehicle only.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by st8dm

My privacy is one of the things I value the most.
I will not post here pics with my injury or which can identify me. the ramp.
As I had started to suspect, it seems like some of us may have been tripped up by your initial reference to "drops of blood," which may be a language issue. That is a lot more than "drops" usually refers to!!
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:27 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Sorry to hear about your accident at the hotels parking garage. The spot seems to be very tight, so I guess if someone tries to exit the car and is not very careful, he/she gets injured. The question about the placement of the sprinkler heads is up to local codes, which I do not know. The hotel or the parking garage owner needs to discuss with the plumber.
If it would have happened to me, I would have told the hotel about the injury and how it happened. Depending on the damage to your clothing, I would have asked if the hotel would compensate for this. Since you didn't see a doctor or ambulance, I do not think you should push for further compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.