Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How Does Dynamic Pricing Work For Points Advance Reservations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Can help someone explain my points advance reservation?

I booked a hotel in NYC Dec 2-7, 2022, and this is how the 5 day breakdown looks:

Fri Dec. 2 - 48,000
Sat Dec. 3 - 56,000
Sun Dec. 4 - 43,000 (FREE)
Mon Dec. 5 - 45,000
Tue Dec. 7 - 47,000

Total 196,000

So, if I understand this correctly, this looks like an old Cat 6 - 40,000 - 60,000 redemption. But, how do they come up with the # of points per night? Is this based on time of year, and then time of week? Or is how full the hotel currently is coming into play?

I still need 15,000 points to order my Cert, and I think I will have enough within the 60 day time limit, BUT I'm concerned my points rates will increase if I wait. Will the points required go up as the hotel gets more full/in demand - or are they static until the end of the year?

If the points required could go up at any time, I'm wondering if I should buy the 15K points to top off???
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
As I am sure you know, the rates can up any day. Up until the time that you actually pay with the points, you are at their mercy.

About all you know, is that an award booking will be available but no guarantees that it’ll stay at the current level.
pokee likes this.

Last edited by cre95; Jun 8, 2022 at 6:47 pm
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I would buy the 15k points now to lock those rates in.
pokee likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
I would buy the 15k points now to lock those rates in.
Ughhh... the rates for my hotel have already gone up by 3,000 points!!!

I can't really afford to purchase points right now - BUT there is another hotel available at 160,000 that i could just lock in right now. Should I just reserve and get the cert for that one, even though the location isn't as good? And then I could just cancel and re book my first choice if I end up having enough points?

Can I have two reservations for the same dates, or will the system not allow that? Would be nice to just hedge my bets...

Which brings to mind: I feel like I'm gambling... or buying/selling stocks ... jeeez...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by pokee
Ughhh... the rates for my hotel have already gone up by 3,000 points!!!

I can't really afford to purchase points right now - BUT there is another hotel available at 160,000 that i could just lock in right now. Should I just reserve and get the cert for that one, even though the location isn't as good? And then I could just cancel and re book my first choice if I end up having enough points?

Can I have two reservations for the same dates, or will the system not allow that? Would be nice to just hedge my bets...

Which brings to mind: I feel like I'm gambling... or buying/selling stocks ... jeeez...
Do you have any miles you can transfer, or if your partner/spouse has any points you can transfer to your account.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Do you have any miles you can transfer, or if your partner/spouse has any points you can transfer to your account.
Actually, YES! I do have some spouse points I can transfer! Thanks for the suggestion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.