Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Refunding second night of booking hikes price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Booked two nights (prepay refundable) at the Courtyard Marriott at an airport location but then realized we wanted the second night in the city center because we’re taking a morning train.

£125/night
when you try to change the reservation, it changes price to $371 for the one night which is £297 (more than both nights originally!)

Can I just get a refund of the second night’s GBP125 cost

Last edited by salut0; Jun 7, 2022 at 6:50 am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:47 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
You might just want to not cancel that second night. You are stuck with current rates I am afraid
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
You might just want to not cancel that second night. You are stuck with current rates I am afraid
Can I earn points for the second night at both locations (the one we’ll have left, and the one we’ll be staying at elsewhere in the city?). What happens if we don’t “check out” of the first place when we leave before moving to the second one?

Both stays were booked in the app
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:53 am

You can try reaching out directly to the hotel to see if a manager will let you cancel the 2nd night without changing the rate on the 1st night. YMMV but it could work if the property is confident that they can resell the 2nd night to someone else at a higher rate.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
For a multi-night stay with even a touch of uncertainty I've started to book each night individually.

It often causes headaches during my stay (e.g. key usually needs re-activating) but I take that inconvenience because Marriott is so un-friendly in partial-night cancellations or repricings when rates go down. I understand cases where I am receiving a long-term discount but those are very infrequent.
dgreen12 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
For a multi-night stay with even a touch of uncertainty I've started to book each night individually..........
Booking a multiple night stay may result in lower daily rates than multiple single night stays.
Adam1222 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Check to see what the early checkout penalty is.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Check to see what the early checkout penalty is.
Never heard of such a thing. What is it and how does it work? Do you mean I’d be charged extra on top of the two nights at £250 total to leave before the end of the total time?

Originally Posted by Ankster
You can try reaching out directly to the hotel to see if a manager will let you cancel the 2nd night without changing the rate on the 1st night. YMMV but it could work if the property is confident that they can resell the 2nd night to someone else at a higher rate.
How does that work? Will their canceling the second night on their end just leave my reservation priced as it was for the first night?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I find that mentioning during check-in “I may have to depart a day before originally planned, will that be an issue if I let you know this evening or tomorrow morning be OK?”

I have never had an issue with that and always kept the booked nightly rate. Status likely helps, but politely asking has never failed me either.

YMMV.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
couldnt you check out via the app on the 2nd day?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:57 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by salut0
Never heard of such a thing. What is it and how does it work? Do you mean I’d be charged extra on top of the two nights at £250 total to leave before the end of the total time?

How does that work? Will their canceling the second night on their end just leave my reservation priced as it was for the first night?
You may have missed this recent thread

Rate DOUBLED without notification because of one less night stayed
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
As you've said on your OP, your rate is prepaid refundable. So why not cancel your reservation and just stay 2 nights close by the train station or in city centre?

If you're so concerned with earning points/night credit, you can even check out late at night the next day at the airport hotel and move to cheap a non MR property by the train station. That will technically give you 2 nights credit as long as you inform FO to post the 2nd night charge before you check out late night.

And btw, you can practically book ANY hotel if your MR reservation doesn't suit you any longer. Are you beholden to MR? I don't get it...

Last edited by supatight80; Jun 9, 2022 at 7:31 am
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
This one is vital reading and explains what happens if you do try and check-out earlier (basically, you will pay the new super high one day rate).

If you want two nights credits and points, the best plan is to do an online check-in and check-out, interacting with the front desk with an early check-out brings a risk of something going wrong, as this poor individual discovered.
If you want a cheaper rate, better choose another hotel, or check if any of the rate codes you are eligible for offer a better deal for one night (e.g. my corporate code gives me this type of benefit but I work for a huge multi-national and that is what it is designed for).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.