Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can I lock in a points booking price for later ann. cert. use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Can I book a hotel today at 65k points, and then once my anniversary nights post change that to the certificate + 15k points, to avoid the risk of the points price going over 65k?
Old May 18, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
I think once you make a change to a reservation like this, it would require however many points are needed at the time of the change. You'd benefit if the rate dropped to 50k, so it's only fair that you'd pay more if the points needed went up.
SPN Lifer, TerryK, Happy and 2 others like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I think once you make a change to a reservation like this, it would require however many points are needed at the time of the change. You'd benefit if the rate dropped to 50k, so it's only fair that you'd pay more if the points needed went up.

Shame. The whole 2-3 months wait after anniversary for the night to post seems a bit excessive.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
I've previously has success locking in reservations with points in my account (not Points advance) and then phoning in to replace the points with FNA's and then getting the points refunded to my account. This was for a Hawaii booking in Fall '21 before the Top-ups, but recent enough to still be a possible option.

Note: The only thing I modified was the payment option, the hotel, room type and dates all stayed the same
DallasEsq likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rowdypfeifer
I've previously has success locking in reservations with points in my account (not Points advance) and then phoning in to replace the points with FNA's and then getting the points refunded to my account. This was for a Hawaii booking in Fall '21 before the Top-ups, but recent enough to still be a possible option.

Note: The only thing I modified was the payment option, the hotel, room type and dates all stayed the same
Ok, I booked it, figure I have nothing to lose this way at worst.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

But did the points price increase? There should be no problems switching payment type if it’s still the same number of points, but I doubt it would work if the amount of points has increased. Perhaps CS can make it happen (even though I’m doubtful they can) but I’m 99% sure you won’t be able to swap out a cert for the points if it’s increased in price.
Happy and TerryK like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Shame. The whole 2-3 months wait after anniversary for the night to post seems a bit excessive.
Not sure why yours takes so long, mine took 2-3 days.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spikes
The e-mail says 8-12 weeks and last year it was around 10 weeks, this year I'm at 6 weeks and counting.
gudugan likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
But did the points price increase? There should be no problems switching payment type if it’s still the same number of points, but I doubt it would work if the amount of points has increased. Perhaps CS can make it happen (even though I’m doubtful they can) but I’m 99% sure you won’t be able to swap out a cert for the points if it’s increased in price.
It was for a 5 night stay at a Cat 7 hotel. I was able to attach 5 separate 50k points certs to the reservation and they redeposited back the 200k points (fifth night was free) I originally used to reserve the room. At the time I attached the certificates and received the points refund, there were no more point redemption rooms available for the full 5 night stay. For individual nights that were still available, they were now priced 20k per night higher.

I would completely understand if you were modifying the room reservation in any way (dates, room type) but all that I really modified was the form of payment. I know it is a different story with points advance, as you are essentially trying to lock in a redemption rate with points you haven't earned yet.

YMMV but just wanted to let people know I was successful in doing so back in Oct 2021. I have another reservation that I will be trying this on in a few weeks to burn the rest of my FNA's so I will report back and let you know how it goes.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spikes
The e-mail says 8-12 weeks and last year it was around 10 weeks, this year I'm at 6 weeks and counting.
FN cert from Chase takes no more than a week upon anniversary.

FN cert from AMEX does not post until one to two billing cycles AFTER you paid the AF.

Just talking about FN cert does not make any sense, needs to specify WHICH bank issues the cert.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Honestly, I forget the Chase one exists. This was all about the AmEx one.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:54 am

Even if the points price increases, at least you have locked in a standard room and it might still work out. If you wait to book, the standard room could disappear.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:03 am
Original Poster

YMMV but just wanted to let people know I was successful in doing so back in Oct 2021. I have another reservation that I will be trying this on in a few weeks to burn the rest of my FNA's so I will report back and let you know how it goes.
How did it go for you? They're not doing it for me. Is it a HUCA?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How did it go for you? They're not doing it for me. Is it a HUCA?
Has the price increased over 65K pts?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Has the price increased over 65K pts?
Right. Which he had said was fine in the past because frankly per what the website says the rate is subject to change if you change dates or length of stay, not how you pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.