Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

No lounge access on corporate rates!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat

So I was considering staying at the Washington Marriott Georgetown in DC, and I can't find any recent 2022 reviews on tripadvisor or flyertalk, so I called them to verify if their lounge is back to normal etc, and the person on the phone told me the strangest thing –

She says, you can only access the lounge if you stay on a Leisure rate, you will not have access to the lounge if you stay on a corporate rate, regardless of your Bonvoy status.

Me: "But the only people who are Titanium are traveling for work, so...who else is going to even qualify to go in the lounge?" and she says with this perky sunny disposition, "well it's a somewhat recent thing so it makes sense if you are surprised."

?????

What the ?

I've significantly slowed travel and I've grown to completely despise Marriott despite my literal years+ spent staying in them but this is a new one, to me. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by flyerUSA
So I was considering staying at the Washington Marriott Georgetown in DC, and I can't find any recent 2022 reviews on tripadvisor or flyertalk, so I called them to verify if their lounge is back to normal etc, and the person on the phone told me the strangest thing –

She says, you can only access the lounge if you stay on a Leisure rate, you will not have access to the lounge if you stay on a corporate rate, regardless of your Bonvoy status.

Me: "But the only people who are Titanium are traveling for work, so...who else is going to even qualify to go in the lounge?" and she says with this perky sunny disposition, "well it's a somewhat recent thing so it makes sense if you are surprised."

?????

What the ?

I've significantly slowed travel and I've grown to completely despise Marriott despite my literal years+ spent staying in them but this is a new one, to me. Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Ah the "make crap up" front desk person. Ignore such drivel. If you have status and the lounge is open, then you'll have access. More likely, the club is closed.

And a quick check of said property's website says:
  • M Club is currently closed - We are anticipating a re-opening date of September 20
    • Monday - Friday: continental breakfast: 6:30am - 10:00am; light snacks & beverages throughout the day
    • Monday - Thursday: light hors d'oeuvres: 5:30pm - 8:00pm, wine & beer available for purchase; light snacks & beverages until 11:00pm closing
    • Member + 1 Guest: Platinum, Titanium, Ambassador Elite Members (access/voucher will be coordinated at the hotel front desk upon check-in)
Anyway, this person may be testing some "special" edibles and clearly has some issues.

David
EuropeanPete and Tanic like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Yea I saw that on the website but I think that may be very very old information, like, as in "opening September 2021."

Weird latenite desk girl swears the lounge is open.

What's also peculiar to me is that tripadvisor only has 8 reviews from all of 2021 and so far this year just 1 review that doesn't really describe much except a late checkout complaint. So strange.

Whatever, I might just risk it and burn my crummy 35k certs there anyway. My goal is to just burn down my freebie balance and then never stay in any of these marriott shitboxes again for the rest of my life. It's pretty astonishing the brazenness with which these property owners have permanently cut corners.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an extremely small chance that the contract for your corporate rate doesn't include lounge access for elites and there could be a problem with (some) corporate rates looking like third party bookings, but otherwise of course you're entitled to lounge access.
EuropeanPete and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Me: "But the only people who are Titanium are traveling for work, so...who else is going to even qualify to go in the lounge?"
How are you coming to this conclusion?

I am a Titanium, and book 100% of my travels through my personal account, whether for work or for personal travels.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver
I'm titanium and 100% of my travel is personal and paid for my myself. Not everyone who travels is traveling for work.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:02 am
Original Poster

just to be clear the desk girl didn't ask me for my name or a reservation number or which corporate rate I travel under - it was just a blanket, nonspecific declaration that only "leisure rates" can get into the lounge.

For Repooc17 um you certainly do sound like a business traveler with your stats. "Personal account" doesn't make much sense - the relevant data point is, which RATE are you paying when you stay at marriotts, are you saying that you don't have any corporate discount rate and that you stay using the full price public rate at all times, both business and pleasure? If so that's nice for you, and slightly puzzling, and also you would surely be an outlier.

Anyway, for the record, I called again to ask a different person and they didn't mention anything about a leisure or corporate rate. Just "the lounge is open every day!" (pause). "Except saturday and sunday". On sat/sun they said there is comp breakfast in the restaurant instead. I guess I'll find out when I get there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That first desk agent has no idea what they're talking about and either making stuff up or was given bad information - ignore them and use the lounge as normal. Its most likely open during the week and not weekends.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:22 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Corporate bookings are typically done via the GDS in a tool like Concur. GDS bookings include normal perks like lounge access, points, etc.

At some point, hotels decided to raise prices (targeting business travelers) in the GDS while offering lower rates to more price-sensitive leisure travelers. Companies caught on, though, and added secondary hotel content sources in corporate booking tools. My company, for example, uses both the GDS and hotel content from booking.com.

And there's the problem. Aggregated content from Expedia or booking.com may not have lounge access. It might not even accrue points.

You should be able to check the booking source in your corporate tool.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
For Repooc17 um you certainly do sound like a business traveler with your stats. "Personal account" doesn't make much sense - the relevant data point is, which RATE are you paying when you stay at marriotts, are you saying that you don't have any corporate discount rate and that you stay using the full price public rate at all times, both business and pleasure? If so that's nice for you, and slightly puzzling, and also you would surely be an outlier.
I actually do a lot more personal travels than work. Also, my employer has no relationship with Marriott, so none of my booking have any special corporate rates attached to them. My average spend is around $150/night.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards

?????

What the ?

I am Lifetime Titanium (1500 nights) I only stay for leisure. Sorry, being a bit flippant.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by stuartpig
I am Lifetime Titanium (1500 nights) I only stay for leisure. Sorry, being a bit flippant.
Yah there's actually a lot of us Titaniums/Lifetime Titaniums who travel only for leisure. In fact, I also know at least a dozen of us.

Must be nice spending OPM though...
​​​
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread provides yet another reason (beyond none of your business) not to answer the question of whether travel is for business, leisure, or other when booking on marriott.com.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.