Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gifted award - who's status governs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Can't seem to find an answer. If a non-status (or lower) gifts an award to a higher status guest (say Titanium) whose status governs? The guest gifting? The guest actually staying?

I've gotten mixed answers from different hotels.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Can't seem to find an answer. If a non-status (or lower) gifts an award to a higher status guest (say Titanium) whose status governs? The guest gifting? The guest actually staying?

I've gotten mixed answers from different hotels.
You're entitled to neither status, but hotels have been known to honour your status. However, it's their call.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
In my experience, it's been a "no status applies" situation. Qualifying nights (and possibly welcome gift points) posted to the gifter, recipient got nothing.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've never been told no status, and nothing I've read prohibits it. However I've always been told one or the other person's status applies.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
This all depends on how you set up the reservation.
- If you make a reservation online your credentials are attached. Even if you call up afterwards its still issued in your name,
If you make a booking on the phone one of two things may happen:
- Effectively same thing as booking online - Agent still issued cert in your name,
- If you ask the agent to gift the award cert and they do this properly the gift award receivers status should apply

Last edited by escapefromphl; Feb 8, 2022 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This all depends on how you set up the reservation.
- If you make a reservation online your credentials are attached. Even if you call up afterwards its still issued in your name,
If you make a booking on the phone one of two things may happen:
- Effectively same thing as booking online - Agent still issued cert in your name,
- If you ask the agent to gift the award cert and they do this properly the gift award receivers status should apply
All were made by phone. You can't "gift" an award online and Marriott has been strick about name matching on awards.

When I got email on last stay they setup like an OTA prepaid reservation. Ie there was statement don't show folio to customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.