Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for broken Laptop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Compensation for broken Laptop

I’m trying to figure out what to expect/ask for as compensation for a broken laptop during a recent stay.

I was staying at a Marriott property for 9 nights and on night 5 the TV fell off its wall mounting and smashed my laptop. The hotel found a place to fix the computer (it will take 30 days to repair) and provided me a loaner in the meantime.

this seems the least they should do in this situation. I completed my stay and nothing else was offered by the hotel apart from sorry we’ve never had this happen before.

if it makes any difference I have 46 paid nights at this hotel in the past year and have another 7 nights booked in a few weeks.

Edit: at the time I asked for an upgrade and was told nothing available. Asked for an upgrade on my next stay and was told not available. This being a weird occurrence I’m not sure what to ask for.

Last edited by Fatcalves; Jan 24, 2022 at 3:40 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:19 am

If you did not ask for "something" you got .........

I would send a e/m to hotel manager "and" Marriott and "tell" them what you would like

to give up your laptop to strangers is crazy and waiting 30 days for repair in 2022 is unheard of
gojko88, qlaval, FMDXR and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Does OP have status with Bonvoy? 46 nights suggests Plat.

2. What's the brand? I'd expect a full service or luxury property to behave differently from the way a limited service property would behave in such a situation.

3. What's the location?

4. Is the computer being sent out to an authorized repair place for its brand?

5. Was data, etc. lost?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I wasn't there, so this is with a grain of salt...

1. If a (hotel-sized) TV fell on my laptop, it would be dead, repairing it would not be something I'd agree to.

2. I would never agree to give my laptop to some repair shop for a month. That is crazy and asking for all sorts of trouble.

3. You need to ask (tell) at the first opportunity that you expect a like-for-like replacement.

4. Data should not be an issue, just reload from your last backup.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Currently have Platinum status.

hotel is a Marriott Marquis in SE Asia.

It was sent to an authorized retailer for repair.

I have told them if the computer is not working correctly when returned I will need a new replacement.

I can’t tell if the computer will work as the screen was smashed when the TV fell on it.

I’m not sure if I ask for points how many to ask for? Or do I ask for free nights? I’ve obviously never had something like this happen.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Marriott SE Asia as a Plat and NEVER an upgrade? Are you booking some sort of ultra rock-bottom corporate rate? This does not sounds right to me.

I would have asked for the hotel to pay for a new one; some things you just don't try to repair other than to maybe extract important data that is not backed-up.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm a bit shocked that a full service hotel didn't apologize with a handwritten note (or the GM or similar talking to you in person) and a gift of food with a bottle of wine.

Also, where are your upgrades? I'd look for a new hotel for your nights.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Welcome to FT Fatcalves.

Just curious : did you establish what circumstances caused the TV to fall from its mount ?
platbrownguy and mtofell like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

2 of the 3 bolts for the mount pulled out of the wall. I’m guessing they were just in the drywall not in the stud.

the hotel currently has a lot of long term guests that are taking all the suites. That is what the hotel has told me.

I do not have a corporate rate I am booking direct through the Marriott app. The hotel has been running great deals over the past year and a half so just taking advantage of that.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Fatcalves
hotel is a Marriott Marquis in SE Asia
The only such hotel that I am aware of is the one in Bangkok. You really got unlucky as this is a relatively new hotel.

But being in Thailand could explain the "30 days in a repair shop" business -- it sounds like they're at least trying to help you, so there's that. The delay is probably parts; maybe you could find out where they're sending it (hopefully a factory-authorized center, which *do* exist in Thailand) and deal more directly with them such as by only handing it over to them when parts are actually available.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by SPLP007
If you did not ask for "something" you got .........

I would send a e/m to hotel manager "and" Marriott and "tell" them what you would like
G
to give up your laptop to strangers is crazy and waiting 30 days for repair in 2022 is unheard of
i have had to wait several weeks pre pandemic for a replacement screen. Throw in supply chain issues and 30 days is what it takes, unfortunately. Of course, I would have found my own repair shop and send the hotel the bill, not necessarily Marriott Corp., at least not until the hotel refused to pay.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
i have had to wait several weeks pre pandemic for a replacement screen. Throw in supply chain issues and 30 days is what it takes, unfortunately. Of course, I would have found my own repair shop and send the hotel the bill, not necessarily Marriott Corp., at least not until the hotel refused to pay.
Yeah, that never would have worked in your favor.
SPN Lifer, SPLP007 and waalien like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Staying at a Marriott in DOH a few years ago, I sent some shirts off for laundry. Had very clearly marked the laundry list with the words “do not tumble dry”, which they did anyway and my shirts shrank a few sizes.

Called the DM who invited me to go purchase replacements and bring the bill, which I did and the amount was promptly reimbursed in cash. I was “made whole” again and didn’t pursue it any further; didn’t expect food or wine, nor a handwritten apology or an upgrade. A mistake was made, proper corrections put in place and that’s that.

Am finding it horribly entitled that people would seek not only to be fully compensated, but expecting the hotel to go beyond that.
LondonElite, DJ_Iceman and Gnopps like this.

Last edited by Sheikh Yerbooty; Jan 25, 2022 at 12:15 am
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:05 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by tai4de2
The only such hotel that I am aware of is the one in Bangkok. You really got unlucky as this is a relatively new hotel.

But being in Thailand could explain the "30 days in a repair shop" business -- it sounds like they're at least trying to help you, so there's that. The delay is probably parts; maybe you could find out where they're sending it (hopefully a factory-authorized center, which *do* exist in Thailand) and deal more directly with them such as by only handing it over to them when parts are actually available.
Immediately thought of Bangkok as well. I could see it taking 30 days in Thailand to fix. Hopefully, the computer comes back fixed sooner.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:05 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Staying at a Marriott in DOH a few years ago, I sent some shirts off for laundry. Had very clearly marked the laundry list with the words “do not tumble dry”, which they did anyway and my shirts shrank a few sizes.

Called the DM who invited me to go purchase replacements and bring the bill, which I did and the amount was promptly reimbursed in cash. I was “made whole” again and didn’t pursue it any further; didn’t expect food or wine, nor a handwritten apology or an upgrade. A mistake was made, proper corrections put in place and that’s that.

Am finding it horribly entitled that people would seek not only to be fully compensated, but expecting the hotel to go beyond that.
That's my thinking. The OP will receive a repaired or new laptop, based on if they can repair it. What else do they want?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.