Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Platinum Status

My friends are going to Hawaii for 3 nights, they had a really rough last year (Few close members' deaths because of Covid, lost job, lost baby). Our friends have helped to sponsor this trip.

They are staying at the Marriott property but don't have any status. I was hoping to get them free breakfast to reduce the cost for them.

Someone is selling Mariott platinum status for around 206$ for 3 months on eBay. Do you know how is he doing that? Is he doing through the Marriott status challenge? If you enroll in the challenge for status, do you get the status right away, and if you complete challenges, it gets extended for another year?

Does anyone know about this? Any help would help my friend's vacation memorable. How could I get him elite status for his trip without spending too much money?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by mnoman
My friends are going to Hawaii for 3 nights, they had a really rough last year (Few close members' deaths because of Covid, lost job, lost baby). Our friends have helped to sponsor this trip.

They are staying at the Marriott property but don't have any status. I was hoping to get them free breakfast to reduce the cost for them.

Someone is selling Mariott platinum status for around 206$ for 3 months on eBay. Do you know how is he doing that? Is he doing through the Marriott status challenge? If you enroll in the challenge for status, do you get the status right away, and if you complete challenges, it gets extended for another year?

Does anyone know about this? Any help would help my friend's vacation memorable. How could I get him elite status for his trip without spending too much money?
Huh? 3 days worth of breakfast should be cheaper than $206. When you try to game the system in that method, you might just get their nights canceled, or something else that would be unpleasant.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:55 pm

You also have to ensure the rate booked qualifies for Marriott benefits. (Not third party site, packages, etc. from the sponsor)
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Well at least it’s not $1000 Buy Platinum Status on eBay
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
For people who have had a "really rough year", involving them in a scam that could result in a "really bad time in Hawaii" is dumb.

Go back round the group of friends and find someone with Hyatt Globalist status. Then do a Guest of Honor booking at a Hyatt hotel...
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Why aren’t you just spending the $206 to make their vacation better, instead of going through some dodgy eBay third party selling elite status?

Frankly the odds they’re going to get comped upgrades in a place where everyone and their uncle is coming for tourism resemble lottery odds (read: tons of Marriott elites all competing for upgrades because they’re all vacationing here after grinding through a bunch of blah Residence Inns and Courtyards) And $206 should buy you more than just breakfast for a few days.

And that’s completely aside from Marriott possibly deciding that your friends might be in on a scam and cancelling accounts, etc. Just no. Don’t do this. Hawaii is a market where cash is more meaningful than DYWKIA and waving around a loyalty card. Spend the cash directly on the vacation.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
$206 in Maui buys you 17x Açaí bowls from one of the best food trucks on Maui, and I think they open 7am to 2pm? Something like that. So, you can spend $26 for some crappy eggs at a hotel restaurant, or you can encourage your friends to go explore the island(s) and get a taste of the fresh fruit and vegetables the island has to offer!

$206 is probably better spent paying somebody for good food recommendations. Now, there are some hotel restaurants that are worth it, but I find breakfast is seldom worth paying for out of pocket.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Don't.

Do you really like them to check in and for whatever reason Marriott has recognized their status came via a fraud, gives them a super hard time, and the check in agent is so annoyed so that they got the most shabby room?

I think it might be a better idea if someone of your friends who is Platinum or above phones the hotel in advance or sends the hotel an email and explains their situation, maybe they get a nice upgrade. Otherwise just pay for breakfast.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
In case it isn't clear from the responses, buying/selling status violates the terms and conditions of the program, even if the status *hasn't* been procured through fraudulent means.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Adam1222
In case it isn't clear from the responses, buying/selling status violates the terms and conditions of the program, even if the status *hasn't* been procured through fraudulent means.
I would guess that this is an Ambassador who has a Platinum to gift to someone this year. While it is clearly a violation of the terms, I'm not sure what the likelihood is that they would get caught, or how aggressively Marriott would go after an Ambassador over selling something for $200 that they have a right to gift to anyone.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I would guess that this is an Ambassador who has a Platinum to gift to someone this year. While it is clearly a violation of the terms, I'm not sure what the likelihood is that they would get caught, or how aggressively Marriott would go after an Ambassador over selling something for $200 that they have a right to gift to anyone.
If Ambassador's are selling status then they deserve to get punished as much as anyone breaking the rules and selling status but in general I suspect it's scammers selling on Ebay not Ambassadors.
Adam1222 and DallasEsq like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
​​​​​​
Even if the risk is low, the risk of having your friends having to deal with any unpleasantness over a present you bought them seems not worth any cost savings versus just buying them the breakfast.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If Ambassador's are selling status then they deserve to get punished as much as anyone breaking the rules and selling status.
While true, we both know that's not how the world works
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the quality/quantity of the Elite breakfast offered at the Marriott Waikiki. Bocastephen was there recently and posted these photos.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33888283-post214.html

I’d find another way to offer my friends breakfast.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
For people who have had a "really rough year", involving them in a scam that could result in a "really bad time in Hawaii" is dumb.

Go back round the group of friends and find someone with Hyatt Globalist status. Then do a Guest of Honor booking at a Hyatt hotel...
Second this. Guest of Honor is the way to go and it's not requiring some shady deal that could spectacularly backfire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.