Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - compulsory Christmas dinner at Maldives resort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist

hi all,

looking for advice. My family and I are going to be at one of the resorts in the Maldives over Christmas and they are saying that all guests at the resort have to pay for a mandatory festive dinner on Christmas Eve. We are not fans of this practice as we don't enjoy these types of dinners, don't drink alcohol, and have some dietary restrictions that make these types of dinners both a waste of time and money for us. We prefer to do dinner in our villa from Room Service. I'm even more concerned about attending a large dinner given Covid and the need to test prior to our return flight a few days later.

Welcome any advice on strategies to get out of this requirement during our stay. If there are success stories, would love to hear them.

thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I don't think it's possible - the best you can probably get is to have to pay but ask them to let u have room service (at the higher rate the charge for the "festive" dinner) esp if you cite covid. It will depend on your specific resort and the gm. Doesn't hurt to ask - but each property will have their own policy and you don't mention which resort.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by estnet
I don't think it's possible - the best you can probably get is to have to pay but ask them to let u have room service (at the higher rate the charge for the "festive" dinner) esp if you cite covid. It will depend on your specific resort and the gm. Doesn't hurt to ask - but each property will have their own policy and you don't mention which resort.
Looks like its the expensive one

David
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
That's why we always try to check out of an island and most remote beach resorts NYE and go to a city one...or call in advance and ask for permission not to attend

We go cheap on dinner buffets as we don't drink and I eat a very strict diet for weightlifting purposes
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You don't have to go to the dinner but you do have to pay for it. Common practice in India, at Maldivian hotels, and at various other resorts. It's the price you pay for going over the holidays.

Negotiating a room service alternative that fits your dietary preferences seems like a reasonable ask for a higher end resort, maybe hit or miss at one of the less luxurious ones like LeM or Sheraton. Good luck, but I wouldn't go into the conversation acting like you're entitled to get out of paying the fee.
dw, renila, imverge and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by SHLTP
That's why we always try to check out of an island and most remote beach resorts NYE and go to a city one...or call in advance and ask for permission not to attend

We go cheap on dinner buffets as we don't drink and I eat a very strict diet for weightlifting purposes
Good plan but hard/impossible to do when in the Maldives since each resort is on it's own island.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Don't think that is possible. I think this is general in Asian hotels. Had to do it once over NYE in Dubai a couple of years ago. Had a lot of fun though.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have been successful in getting a "no alcohol" price for the dinners.
FMDXR and Radiation Station like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was unable to get a vegetarian discount from the US$300 Xmas Eve dinner at a (non-Marriott) Maldives hotel. Plus meals were already included in the room rate at this hotel! I ended up cancelling my reservation.
estnet, SPN Lifer, 360guy and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:23 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Sounds like the resort fees that we are stuck with. Watch out, next they will add fixed parking and WIFI fees while at the same time offering cheap room rates to capture your excitement
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't these requirements usually show at booking with properties that have mandatory dinners at Christmas/New Year's?

I concur with the suggestions upthread about trying to negotiate a deal for a no-alcohol room service dinner instead. And count any reduction at all in price as a big win.
dw, estnet, renila and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Sounds like the resort fees that we are stuck with. Watch out, next they will add fixed parking and WIFI fees while at the same time offering cheap room rates to capture your excitement
At least with the fixed parking fees, they won’t charge you extra when you roll in with your yacht at the Maldives
nancypants and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cre95
At least with the fixed parking fees, they won’t charge you extra when you roll in with your yacht at the Maldives
Oversize vehicle surcharge.
estnet, DELee, ezefllying and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't these requirements usually show at booking with properties that have mandatory dinners at Christmas/New Year's?
In my case, it was a Travel Zoo package purchased in Sept 2020 with a group of friends and no fixed date. Friends decided we should go at Xmas. I had my flights booked and was prepared to accept my fate, but in the end lots of people couldn’t get flights at reasonable rates, so the whole trip was put off until 2022. Dodged a bullet.
estnet, SPN Lifer, Kacee and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
In my case, it was a Travel Zoo package purchased in Sept 2020 with a group of friends and no fixed date. Friends decided we should go at Xmas. I had my flights booked and was prepared to accept my fate, but in the end lots of people couldn’t get flights at reasonable rates, so the whole trip was put off until 2022. Dodged a bullet.
And that mandatory compulsory Xmas dinner in the Maldives.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.