Wiki Posts
Search

How I Spent My Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
How I Spent My Sunday

I booked a 5 night stay at a Residence Inn.
On arrival got from key to building where room was and there were women pounding on door to be let in.
A man was dumpster diving and walking parking lot.
Went back to front desk said I did not want to be in that building.
Front desk gave me room in 2nd building.
I go to take suitcase out of trunk and there is a family moving out with garbage bags.
Additionally see men going in and out of their cars but not leaving the parking lot.
Another man walking back and forth drinking cans of beers wandering aimlessly.
I call Marriott customer service and say I do not feel safe at this property.
The only rep I can get on phone is in reservations. Says they can't do anything but give me the telephone number of the hotel to let them know I want them to cancel my reservation.
I call the hotel and get put on hold. I go into lobby. There are 5 parties waiting to check in.
I call Marriott again. Again only choice is reservations. Says he can't do anything as there is only one security answer on my profile. Says I need to go online and answer another security question. I ask to speak to a supervisor. A supervisor starts all over with me. Says she is in Marriott Loyalty. Thanks me for being a long time member. Again says can't help me I need to speak to hotel. I wait until 5 parties have checked in. Tell receptionist I don't feel safe and to please cancel my reservation. She says she understands and does it.
This took all of 3 hours and a lot of stress. My Marriott loyalty is now down the drain.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reader's Digest version: I made a reservation and arrived at a Residence Inn. I didn't like the condition and clientele of that Residence Inn has. I had to wait in a long line at front desk to cancel as I was within cancellation period. The front desk agent cancelled it.
Keyser, hhdl, AndyKehn and 23 others like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:51 pm

If you stay in an extended-stay hotel, especially a more affordable extended-stay hotel, you're going to get people who are experiencing different life circumstances. This isn't unique to Marriott.

If you want to be guaranteed high-class neighbors, you're going to need to move up the hotel ladder a bit.

Also it seems strange to me that your first step wasn't simply going to the reception. Seems that might have saved some time, no matter how many people were waiting in line. At the end of the day, if they simply canceled your reservation without a penalty, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:10 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ewoo
If you stay in an extended-stay hotel, especially a more affordable extended-stay hotel, you're going to get people who are experiencing different life circumstances. This isn't unique to Marriott.

If you want to be guaranteed high-class neighbors, you're going to need to move up the hotel ladder a bit.

Also it seems strange to me that your first step wasn't simply going to the reception. Seems that might have saved some time, no matter how many people were waiting in line. At the end of the day, if they simply canceled your reservation without a penalty, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.
Could be compensation fishing, which is common on this site unfortunately
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
What RI was it?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Always a good idea to research property prior to stay. Sounds like this one was in a less than stellar part of town?

Glad to hear reception cancelled your stay without charge. They did not have to do that.

Hope you found a better place.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Always a good idea to research property prior to stay. Sounds like this one was in a less than stellar part of town?

Glad to hear reception cancelled your stay without charge. They did not have to do that.

Hope you found a better place.
Agreed, a good review read even on TripAdvisor could have given OP a good idea of what the property may be like
Old Nov 22, 2021, 2:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
If it’s CA somewhere, some RI’s have been used for Project Roomkey during pandemic. Definitely want to do your research.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
"Separate building" means an older generation Residence Inn. I always pass on any of these.
samosa likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
If it’s CA somewhere, some RI’s have been used for Project Roomkey during pandemic. Definitely want to do your research.
RI would be slumming it for Roomkey. Heard homeless were given Roomkey rooms at the Mark Hopkins hotel in SF. Remember when I was dating my wife in the late 90s I wanted to take her to the Mark Hopkins but couldnt afford it. Guess my timing was off.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
RI would be slumming it for Roomkey. Heard homeless were given Roomkey rooms at the Mark Hopkins hotel in SF. Remember when I was dating my wife in the late 90s I wanted to take her to the Mark Hopkins but couldnt afford it. Guess my timing was off.
Declasse, eh!

David
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by anngi
I call Marriott customer service and say I do not feel safe at this property.
The only rep I can get on phone is in reservations. Says they can't do anything but give me the telephone number of the hotel to let them know I want them to cancel my reservation.
-----
Again says can't help me I need to speak to hotel.
-----
My Marriott loyalty is now down the drain.
FYI: The above is standard-operating-procedure for every major hotel group. Whether it's Marriott or someone else, once you are checked in, all complaints will get directed back to the hotel. Quite literally, no one you can call at the chain will have access to the hotel's system. They do not have the power to resolve this sort of issue.

In theory, the Supervisor you spoke with could have tried to calling the hotel. But, even if that had happened, the time it took get you un-checked out (without charge) would have probably taken longer than you waiting in line and talking to the Front Desk yourself. Typically, Front Desk clerks are trained to prioritize people standing at the desk over anyone calling on the phone.
ewoo likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
They like to put the families in the extended stay properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.