Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Company paid bill - elite night credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Company paid bill - elite night credit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you use a business credit card, there can be a question about who is paying. AFAIK some employers set up these credit cards for employees such that the company pays the bill, but I've been offered credit cards by my employer that state very explicitly that I am responsible for paying the bill (and any late fees, etc.) regardless of whether I've been reimbursed by the due date for the bill. However, I'd be shocked if a merchant could distinguish these details on a customer's credit card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
I'd be really embarrassed to be on the legal team that drafted this!
Yup. If Marriott's intent was to exclude all stays that are not paid directly by the guest, that intent is definitely not reflected in the writing.

Marriott has been tinkering with the T&C's so much lately, I'm not sure anyone at corporate really understands them as they're actually written.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Was the rate paid the as part of a room block, or was it a negotiated rate that can be used anytime? If it was a room block, it's considered an event, even though there's no event/meeting taking place at the hotel. If it's a negotiated rate that can be used anytime, then it's not an event, and you get points/benefits. This is the reason why when we reserved a room block, we specify that the invitees pay for their own room and incidentals, so they get the points and benefits.

Unless the member stole the cash from someone, that person "paid" for the room with said bank notes (or bags of coins).
Pretty sure it was a room block - we have a rate with the hotel, but booked a block of rooms because we didn't know exactly who would be filling them on this trip, and that happens from time to time. Honestly this all likely falls in some weird gray area. If Marriott just told me "because there was a block, we consider it an event, and therefore there's no credit possible since you didn't pay directly either" then we'd know exactly what to adjust for the future. Will take your advice though - and ensure that we all just pay directly next time, or at least those who care to earn the points and stays.

I buy your explanation more than what Marriott is telling me, that's for sure.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Also begs the question -- if I use my business credit card, have I personally paid for it? What if I use my spouse's credit card?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you use a business credit card, there can be a question about who is paying. AFAIK some employers set up these credit cards for employees such that the company pays the bill, but I've been offered credit cards by my employer that state very explicitly that I am responsible for paying the bill (and any late fees, etc.) regardless of whether I've been reimbursed by the due date for the bill. However, I'd be shocked if a merchant could distinguish these details on a customer's credit card.
Will take your advice though - and ensure that we all just pay directly next time, or at least those who care to earn the points and stays.
I'd say that if your own individual name appears on the company credit card, that would count as "directly" paid by you. That is the safest way for companies to ensure their employees get their "loyalty" rewards.

The same applies to to being an authorized user on a spouse's card. That is why my wife & I are each authorized users on each other's Chase Marriott Bonv°y Visa card.
kevino likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
The answer is if you use spouse's card (even if you have same last name), you are not eligible for points or elite nights. The real question is "what if you pay with cash?". Who gets the points? The Treasury Department I would presume.
Do we really think this is/was Marriott’s intent? I agree a literal read of the “personally pays” language could get there, but I always interpreted this as the individual room is paid for at booking (in the case of prepaid rates), or individually at the property for all other rates. I always assume this language was to preclude benefits for consolidator rates, airline vouchers, etc., and not to deny benefits for individually paid stays (as long as the member stayed in the room).

Since there is also a requirement to stay in the room, it shouldn’t matter how I physically pay for it (i.e., the form of payment shouldn’t matter). We’ve paid with my spouse’s card on occasion, sometimes to achieve an unrelated credit card perk when we both stayed in the room. It’s never been a concern, other than one time when they asked for her photo ID since she wasn’t standing at the front desk with me (she was hanging back 15 feet away so my whole family wasn’t crowding the front desk), which was more of a fraud prevention measure.

One could come up with a bunch of other irrational readings based on the language. For example, I check in, present a credit card in my name, but someone else in the room checks out. Since the act of checking out effectively triggers the payment, is the person who checks out effectively paying for the room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.