Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hilton vs. Marriott Bonvoy for rest of 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I have already qualified for Hilton Diamond this year and have 26 nights (so Gold) with Marriott Bonvoy. I have 8 more nights scheduled with Marriott (and will stick with Marriott for various reasons) until the end of 2021, but have the option of either Hilton or Marriott for an additional 2 night stay in 2021.

Pros of Hilton - free breakfast and possible upgrade due to Diamond status; the particular property in-mind is slightly cheaper than the Marriott equivalent
Cons of Hilton - I already have Diamond, so doesn't really feel like additional stays are getting me anything better

Pros of Marriott - Marriott points?
Cons of Marriott - even if i stayed at a Marriott on this stay, 10 more nights is only going to get me to 36 this calendar year and then (as I understand it), the clock goes back to zero in the new year, so not really seeing much advantage

If I would ultimately like to get to Platinum Marriott in 2022, is there any advantage to staying 2 incremental nights this year? This would be such an easy decision if Marriott was allowing you to credit 2021 nights to 2022 status like Hilton!

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
All 2021 nights with Marriott are a total waste. (unless you wanted to upgrade status or need lifetime nights)

Stay with Hilton. At least the nights will rollover to 2022.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 7:05 am

Marriott still, albeit the gap between the two has shortened! I’m hopeful Marriott will offer a better promo early next year as a sweetener to upcoming changes. Hilton has generally offered more in terms of promotions and earnings this year.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
In your shoes, I would stay with Hilton. There's no rollover with the Marriott program, and no incremental benefit to your stays.

Personally, I'm putting all my paid stays towards Hilton until at least March 2022. I'll be burning some Marriott points, but it doesn't make sense to earn until we have a clearer idea as to what redemption rates will look like.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
What is the Point of Earning Status?

It may be a basic question, but at the end of the day, why do we work so hard to attain a particular status? Is it to enjoy the benefits that the status offers? Or is it to get on a never ending treadmill towards earning the "next level" of status (Platinum, Titanium, Ambassador, etc.) at all costs?

The reason I ask is that in your analysis, you mention that neither additional Hilton nor Marriott stays in 2021 will "get me anything better" in terms of attaining the next level of status. At this point, I'd suggest that you look at which program will afford you the best benefits based on your status with that hotel chain. Assuming parameters such as hotel location, cost, room quality, etc. are all roughly equal, I would ask what program would give me the best benefits during my stay. Personally I'd stay with Hilton since I value Hilton Diamond benefits over Marriott Gold benefits.

Hilton will give you a daily food and beverage credit as a Diamond member (which you can use for breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks or snacks), and effective November 15, they will start auto upgrading Diamond members starting 3 days before their stay (see the Hilton forum for more details). Just be sure to book your room for two guests, as the daily food and beverage credit is per guest, up to two guests ;-)

Enjoy your stay, and safe travels!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Any Hilton nights stayed this year will roll over for qualification next year; therefore there still may be an incremental benefit with staying with Hilton even if you already reached diamond for next year. Not sure there’s any benefit to staying with Marriott.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Hilton has the triple points promo running and has for most of the year, Marriot has had a few minor bonuses 1500 PTS per stay. With Marriott rolling over everyone's status and recently waiving the Ambassador spend very few reasons to stay at Marriott. Other than if you need lifetime nights or it will get you to the next level.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wouldn't choose based on either program, I'd choose based on the individual property. Between Hilton and Marriott, Marriott still usually wins for me in most places based on that calculus. Though I would not limit myself to those two programs, the benefits aren't worth it.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:53 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Loyalty is for suckers
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:09 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Loyalty is for suckers
Try telling that to our dog.

I could concentrate the remainder of my stays to pass 100 Bonvoy nights, but as I won’t hit the $14k threshold I think I’ll perversely pivot to Hilton, all else being equal.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jailer
I think I’ll perversely pivot to Hilton, all else being equal.
Well that's the difficult part for me. Hilton has considerably fewer nice properties.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sag3gonzals2
even if i stayed at a Marriott on this stay, 10 more nights is only going to get me to 36 this calendar year and then (as I understand it), the clock goes back to zero in the new year, so not really seeing much advantage

If I would ultimately like to get to Platinum Marriott in 2022, is there any advantage to staying 2 incremental nights this year?
Any option to pick up a Marriott credit card that gives 15 elite night credits? If you can get to even 35 nights, the additional CC nights would be enough to get you to Platinum.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I thought there is a challenge to Marriott platinum
Old Nov 13, 2021, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
It may be a basic question, but at the end of the day, why do we work so hard to attain a particular status? Is it to enjoy the benefits that the status offers? Or is it to get on a never ending treadmill towards earning the "next level" of status (Platinum, Titanium, Ambassador, etc.) at all costs?

The reason I ask is that in your analysis, you mention that neither additional Hilton nor Marriott stays in 2021 will "get me anything better" in terms of attaining the next level of status. At this point, I'd suggest that you look at which program will afford you the best benefits based on your status with that hotel chain. Assuming parameters such as hotel location, cost, room quality, etc. are all roughly equal, I would ask what program would give me the best benefits during my stay. Personally I'd stay with Hilton since I value Hilton Diamond benefits over Marriott Gold benefits.

Hilton will give you a daily food and beverage credit as a Diamond member (which you can use for breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks or snacks), and effective November 15, they will start auto upgrading Diamond members starting 3 days before their stay (see the Hilton forum for more details). Just be sure to book your room for two guests, as the daily food and beverage credit is per guest, up to two guests ;-)

Enjoy your stay, and safe travels!
Yes, but we are often talking about "edge" cases. I've got my Hyatt, Marriott and Hilton statuses all locked down. So, if I need a hotel (or not even "need" one, but just want to get away for a night or two) then I choose Hilton unless one of the other chains is clearly a better choice. Why? Because due to the rollover nights, it gives me more flexibility to NOT choose Hilton in 2022 if necessary. And that future flexibility is far more valuable than staying at a slightly better (or worse) Marriott or Hyatt in late 2021...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by econ
Any option to pick up a Marriott credit card that gives 15 elite night credits? If you can get to even 35 nights, the additional CC nights would be enough to get you to Platinum.
Originally Posted by pbd456
I thought there is a challenge to Marriott platinum
Both are options if you're a bit further away or intend to really commit to Marriott in the longer term. If the OP really wants Platinum status for 2022, 2 additional Marriott nights in 2021 should be fairly doable.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.