Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Travel package booking--- fees payable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat

Hi a couple of questions before I use a TP for the first time.
A.. Can I stay for 4 nights instead of the 7 not not be charged an early departure fee.
B. Hotel No 1 states Mandatory 9 percent resort fee will be charged per night or USD 15 per night for Marriott Bonvoy redemptions.
C. Hotel No 2 states A 2 percent local fee and 16 percent service will be charged to all reservations per room per night at check-in.

Will the $15 resort fees stated in B be payable for the 4 nights I stay or the full 7 night of the voucher..
Will there be a charge at hotel C as the figures are both percent charges.

Thanks for any advice
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: IB+ Gold, TK E+, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, IHG Diamond
I believe you can book a 4-night stay with a 7-night certificate, but some agents might not know how to do it. Most people on FT would just recommend booking an extra 3 days on the end and "mattress run" some extra elite nights. Of course the resort fee complicates matters, as you'd pay that for all 7 nights. (although if you care about elite nights it's probably worth it)

There wouldn't be an early departure fee because you aren't costing any revenue by leaving early.

Where the fee is a %, you aren't supposed to be charged. But many Marriott hotels misbehave...
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I believe you can book a 4-night stay with a 7-night certificate, but some agents might not know how to do it. Most people on FT would just recommend booking an extra 3 days on the end and "mattress run" some extra elite nights. Of course the resort fee complicates matters, as you'd pay that for all 7 nights. (although if you care about elite nights it's probably worth it)

There wouldn't be an early departure fee because you aren't costing any revenue by leaving early.

Where the fee is a %, you aren't supposed to be charged. But many Marriott hotels misbehave...

Thanks The hotels are in San Juan PR Not that much into elite nights now I have retired. Down to marriott Gold now.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
I’ve book three of these in the past, the last just a few weeks ago.because of the last couple years cancelation and hotel closures I’ve actually had six different bookings for my three certificates I acquired years ago. Every single one of my bookings there’s been major mistakes by a Marriott agent that have required additional calls to fix, hour long calls. once all the way up the chain to the Marriott office of consumer affairs who called me to straighten it out. The agent though possibly better than they were a few years ago with these certificates just simply either aren’t well trained in handling them or do so, so rarely they are a problem.

I have a lot of points normally. So normally book on points and call to attach the certificate, the points are then refunded. I’ve done that except the last two times I’ve booked using these 7 night certificates The last time, a few weeks ago I called to book, that agent said she had make make a points booking, then attach the 7 night certificate, then refunded the points. the points were never refunded and certificate was never attached to the reservation. That was a 45 minute call to make the booking.

Word of warning there is no indication in your account or on the reservation a partial certificate has been applied to a reservation, a Marriott agent can see it but it doesn’t show on the consumer side in either the app or web versions of the booking or account.

The time before that, fall '19, called to book it seemed to go easily. Months later, I got a strange email about a points advance booking needing more points. I called Marriott and many supervisors later found out the original agent had book a points advance booking, which was odd since I certainly had more points than needed, and the certificate wasn’t attached but also didn’t show in my account on my end but did on Marriott end. Worse in the intervening months the property had increased in category. That was eventually straightened out though because of the world in 2020 the resort was temporarily closed and the booking canceled. These were the easier problems than I encountered with my earlier bookings.

I really would do anything that might increase the chance of error and watch your account points totals.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Ripley62
I’ve book three of these in the past, the last just a few weeks ago.because of the last couple years cancelation and hotel closures I’ve actually had six different bookings for my three certificates I acquired years ago. Every single one of my bookings there’s been major mistakes by a Marriott agent that have required additional calls to fix, hour long calls. once all the way up the chain to the Marriott office of consumer affairs who called me to straighten it out. The agent though possibly better than they were a few years ago with these certificates just simply either aren’t well trained in handling them or do so, so rarely they are a problem.

I have a lot of points normally. So normally book on points and call to attach the certificate, the points are then refunded. I’ve done that except the last two times I’ve booked using these 7 night certificates The last time, a few weeks ago I called to book, that agent said she had make make a points booking, then attach the 7 night certificate, then refunded the points. the points were never refunded and certificate was never attached to the reservation. That was a 45 minute call to make the booking.

Word of warning there is no indication in your account or on the reservation a partial certificate has been applied to a reservation, a Marriott agent can see it but it doesn’t show on the consumer side in either the app or web versions of the booking or account.

The time before that, fall '19, called to book it seemed to go easily. Months later, I got a strange email about a points advance booking needing more points. I called Marriott and many supervisors later found out the original agent had book a points advance booking, which was odd since I certainly had more points than needed, and the certificate wasn’t attached but also didn’t show in my account on my end but did on Marriott end. Worse in the intervening months the property had increased in category. That was eventually straightened out though because of the world in 2020 the resort was temporarily closed and the booking canceled. These were the easier problems than I encountered with my earlier bookings.

I really would do anything that might increase the chance of error and watch your account points totals.
Any tips on how to not increase the chance of error, or to guide the agent towards as seamless TP booking?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Any tips on how to not increase the chance of error, or to guide the agent towards as seamless TP booking?
Since I have not made an error free booking with a partial packages in sux tries, I’m not sure. But the simpler the better. If you have enough points book the hotel and room you want. That saves the points advance booking problem, though I’ve had problems doing that also.

I would also call to book on a weekday during US business hours, simply because there’s a greater chance of getting if not an agent at least having a supervisor available during those times. All the times my problems have actually been fixed have been
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Ripley62
Since I have not made an error free booking with a partial packages in sux tries, I’m not sure. But the simpler the better. If you have enough points book the hotel and room you want. That saves the points advance booking problem, though I’ve had problems doing that also.

I would also call to book on a weekday during US business hours, simply because there’s a greater chance of getting if not an agent at least having a supervisor available during those times. All the times my problems have actually been fixed have been
Thanks, good to know!
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.