Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Employee theft

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Wait you got housekeeping during a stay right now? Thats amazing.
clarkef, m.y and Rd3 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX HK
Just curious - what do you mean you need to be "present for the case" - will you be required to testify in court? To my understanding, you may make a police report and give your full testimony and have them bring charges without actually being there. By not pressing charges, she will be free to victimize another guest in some other city or hotel, and the next hotel chain that hires her will have no idea due to a lack of a criminal record.

yes I was told if I press charges I will need to show up in court. She was a contractor and I will file a complaint with that company as well
Old Oct 16, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
So what Hotel are we talking about ? Time to name the Hotel …
Old Oct 16, 2021, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4getofn
So what Hotel are we talking about ? Time to name the Hotel …
it was a SpringHill Suites near a college campus. I think they are taking good care of me. Constantly in contact and very apologetic. Reimbursed my points plus extra. They even offered to replace the iPad if needed. The housekeeper is no longer employed at the hotel and I am contacting the contractor as well. Once I recieve the iPad tomorrow and can see/ test it I’ll know more and can communicate with my mothership to see how they would like to proceed. I’m happy with how the hotel has taken care of me and how serious they have taken the situation.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Well there you go …
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I’ve noticed marriotts do have thieves in their employ. Once in Thailand housekeepers stole an iPhone. I know this because I called for turn down service as I left for dinner. I realized I left my phone in my room. Came right back and it was missing. Once in Florida caught housekeepers red handed stealing jewelry. Got a few points in Thailand but the hotel never took responsibility. In Florida I was on a friends and family rate and didn’t want to stir the pot. Nonetheless watch your stuff in Marriott properties.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I’ve noticed marriotts do have thieves in their employ. Once in Thailand housekeepers stole an iPhone. I know this because I called for turn down service as I left for dinner. I realized I left my phone in my room. Came right back and it was missing. Once in Florida caught housekeepers red handed stealing jewelry. Got a few points in Thailand but the hotel never took responsibility. In Florida I was on a friends and family rate and didn’t want to stir the pot. Nonetheless watch your stuff in Marriott properties.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by ryan754
I’ve noticed marriotts do have thieves in their employ.
This is a bit of a hyperbolic statement. Chains do have all kinds of responsibilities towards their franchises and guests and Marriott rots from the top in many ways which impacts those who stay - but it's no more likely to have theft issues than other comparable hotel chains.
jtet and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
it's no more likely to have theft issues than other comparable hotel chains.
Truth. It's a risk of leaving valuables unlocked in your room virtually anywhere.
SPN Lifer and shcboomer like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:44 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Hotel employees are not vetted or approved by chain. Therefore, I can't imagine any reasonable judge would find Marriott Corporate responsible for actions of a Housekeeping employee (or contractor) at a hotel unless there was a series of thefts that were reported to Corporate.
A few thoughts that enter my mind
  • The distinction between Marriott Corporation and the hotel might not be sufficient delineated for the average traveler
  • The booking was made on Marriott's website
  • The entire point of a guest patronizing a branded establishment (hotel, restaurant, etc.) is that you are banking on the security of a well established and well financed corporation, one which is able to resolve issues.
That being said, I haven't researched the law, but those are some reasons why I think it is morally and ethically correct to seek compensation from the hotel and/or Marriot Corporation.
TXJeepGuy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.