Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Orientbank Hotel Istanbul, Turkey, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:52 am
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

Orientbank Hotel Istanbul Autograph Collection

Hobyar Mahallesi Findikci Remzi Sokak, No: 7 Sirkeci / Fatih Istanbul, TR 34112

Orientbank Hotel Istanbul (Autograph Collection) (16 Photos)

Orientbank Hotel Istanbul Autograph Collection

As per the name, Orientbank Hotel used to be a bank and after renovations which lasted 18 years, they finally opened in June 2021.  They chose Autograph brand but to be honest in light of my stay this could easily be a Luxury Collection hotel and it scores very well in most regards.  I can highly recommend it as one of the best hotels I have stayed in Istanbul before.  

There are not many hotel chains in the old town, Hilton has a DoubleTree and a Curio, Accor has a Mercure, and there is also a Four Seasons.  Out of 20+ hotels in Istanbul, Orientbank is the only Marriott hotel in the old town, consequently location will be a major draw for travelers going to Istanbul for leisure.  The flipside of that is many small streets in the old town are entirely pedestrian or motorcycle only – very few cars are allowed to go there.  So when trying to reach the hotel with a normal taxi unless the driver has pre-clearance to enter the old town, he might have to drop off customers about a 5-minute walk away so with heavy luggage it would not be ideal and I would recommend booking a car in advance.  Same thing when leaving the hotel: the taxi should be booked for a specific departure time. 

IMG_7558.jpeg

Room

I was pre-upgraded a couple days in advance to the top room type Executive Suite (45 sqm) as Ambassador Elite, however on the day of arrival I wanted to check-in the morning and my room was not ready so I settled in a Grand Deluxe room on the top floor instead (listed as 26-27 sqm) which was one category higher than the entry level room that I booked.  

As most hotels in the old town, the rooms are small so for people looking for spacious rooms this will not be a good fit.  My room felt a bit cramped especially in the bathroom because when opening the door of the toilet on one side or the shower on the other side, we would have to squeeze near the sink area.  Also the shower and toilet enclosures were entirely glass with a decal on the walls but not going all the way down – at about knee height, so it could feel less private to some.  Apart from that, the room looked great, high ceilings, very stylish and charming, I would say it was a mix of Design Hotel and Luxury Collection brands.  

IMG_7548.jpegIMG_7549.jpegIMG_7550.jpegIMG_7551.jpegIMG_7552.jpegIMG_7545.jpegIMG_7547.jpeg

Common Areas

The hotel common areas looked equally attractive as the room – I was on the top floor so it was easy to notice the sun roof which kept hallways very bright on all floors because of the open space where we could look down at other floors below.  The construction was not entirely finished, on the roof of the hotel they were planning some sort of cigar lounge and panorama which had great views of the city.  They are also finishing up a restaurant in the basement of the building.  

IMG_7544.jpeg1_IMG_7555.jpegIMG_7556.jpegIMG_7557.jpeg

Service

Many newly opened hotels have service issues but at Orientbank it was entirely the opposite: service was absolutely superb during my entire stay.  Part of it is that it’s a very small hotel with only 36 rooms so they are set up to give highly personal service, also they seemed to have a significant number of staff relative to the number of guests.  Service was excellent in all regards, whether it was at reception or in the restaurant.  In terms of service I consider it the cheaper Marriott alternative to St.Regis which is cream of the crop for service.  When I stayed at Ritz Carlton Istanbul I had good service too but that’s because I had a club room - service in the lounge is exclusive.  However for guests without lounge access at Ritz Carlton, I would say Orientbank has better service, and it’s also a notch above Marriott’s other two luxury options in Istanbul, JW Marriott and W.  Bottom line Orientbank was very impressive for a 3-month old hotel. 

Dining

Until the new restaurant opens, perhaps the current venue of the restaurant was not the best set up because when you enter the hotel it’s just one room with the reception on one side and the restaurant / bar on the other side.  So when dining you can see guests coming in and out the hotel.  Nonetheless the food and cocktails were both excellent, and for breakfast I enjoyed the healthy breakfast bowl.  

IMG_7565.jpegIMG_7564.jpegIMG_7563.jpegIMG_7562.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well with speed of 15 Mbps.

Overall

Because this is a small property, they might not have been able to fit a fitness gym and perhaps this is a reason why the hotel could not qualify for the Luxury Collection brand.  However for the hardware, the service, and dining, I think it’s a top notch hotel for people who can accept a small(er) room to be in the old part of the city.  

Orientbank Hotel Istanbul (Autograph Collection)

Would you like to write a review on the Orientbank Hotel Istanbul Autograph Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes
lamphs and unclepants like this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
Introduction As per the name, Orientbank Hotel used to be a bank and after renovations which lasted 18 years, they finally opened in June 2021. They chose Autograph brand but to be honest in light of my stay this could easily be a Luxury Collection hotel and it scores very well in most regards. I can highly recommend it as one of the best hotels I have stayed in Istanbul before. Location There are not many hotel chains in the old town, Hilton has a DoubleTree and a Curio, Accor has a Mercure, and there is also a Four Seasons. Out of 20+ hotels in Istanbul, Orientbank is the only Marriott hotel in the old town, consequently location will be a major draw for travelers going to Istanbul for leisure. The flipside of that is many small streets in the old town are entirely pedestrian or motorcycle only – very few cars are allowed to go there. So when trying to reach the hotel with a normal taxi unless the driver has pre-clearance to enter the old town, he might have to drop off customers about a 5-minute walk away so with heavy luggage it would not be ideal and I would recommend booking a car in advance. Same thing when leaving the hotel: the taxi should be booked for a specific departure time. Room I was pre-upgraded a couple days in advance to the top room type Executive Suite (45 sqm) as Ambassador Elite, however on the day of arrival I wanted to check-in the morning and my room was not ready so I settled in a Grand Deluxe room on the top floor instead (listed as 26-27 sqm) which was one category higher than the entry level room that I booked. As most hotels in the old town, the rooms are small so for people looking for spacious rooms this will not be a good fit. My room felt a bit cramped especially in the bathroom because when opening the door of the toilet on one side or the shower on the other side, we would have to squeeze near the sink area. Also the shower and toilet enclosures were entirely glass with a decal on the walls but not going all the way down – at about knee height, so it could feel less private to some. Apart from that, the room looked great, high ceilings, very stylish and charming, I would say it was a mix of Design Hotel and Luxury Collection brands. Common Areas The hotel common areas looked equally attractive as the room – I was on the top floor so it was easy to notice the sun roof which kept hallways very bright on all floors because of the open space where we could look down at other floors below. The construction was not entirely finished, on the roof of the hotel they were planning some sort of cigar lounge and panorama which had great views of the city. They are also finishing up a restaurant in the basement of the building. Service Many newly opened hotels have service issues but at Orientbank it was entirely the opposite: service was absolutely superb during my entire stay. Part of it is that it’s a very small hotel with only 36 rooms so they are set up to give highly personal service, also they seemed to have a significant number of staff relative to the number of guests. Service was excellent in all regards, whether it was at reception or in the restaurant. In terms of service I consider it the cheaper Marriott alternative to St.Regis which is cream of the crop for service. When I stayed at Ritz Carlton Istanbul I had good service too but that’s because I had a club room - service in the lounge is exclusive. However for guests without lounge access at Ritz Carlton, I would say Orientbank has better service, and it’s also a notch above Marriott’s other two luxury options in Istanbul, JW Marriott and W. Bottom line Orientbank was very impressive for a 3-month old hotel. Dining Until the new restaurant opens, perhaps the current venue of the restaurant was not the best set up because when you enter the hotel it’s just one room with the reception on one side and the restaurant / bar on the other side. So when dining you can see guests coming in and out the hotel. Nonetheless the food and cocktails were both excellent, and for breakfast I enjoyed the healthy breakfast bowl. Wifi Wifi worked well with speed of 15 Mbps. Overall Because this is a small property, they might not have been able to fit a fitness gym and perhaps this is a reason why the hotel could not qualify for the Luxury Collection brand. However for the hardware, the service, and dining, I think it’s a top notch hotel for people who can accept a small(er) room to be in the old part of the city.

love it! looking to stay there next month.
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I have a stay at this hotel next week!
The property looks amazing, although rooms seem on the tiny side
I'll share how it is

In the meantime, is there anything in particular to be aware about with Covid in Istanbul?
I've only been in Greece and Algarve lately, and all seems fine
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:10 pm

Hardware looks stunning. Although the kale salad with unpeeled kiwi and dried orange look... just weird.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:38 pm

I heard the breakfast is not included for free night redemption but included for cash rate?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by freedom2020
I heard the breakfast is not included for free night redemption but included for cash rate?
As Plat I got free breakfast on paid stay.

I do agree with the OP - this is an excellent hotel, both soft and hard product, in a prime location. Very much worth checking out!

Originally Posted by lsed
In the meantime, is there anything in particular to be aware about with Covid in Istanbul?
I've only been in Greece and Algarve lately, and all seems fine
The airline might want to see a printout/screenshot of your Turkish passenger registration, whatever it's called (in Feb at least that was the case, I don't know if it's still a thing) - other than that life's normal. In Feb they asked to wear mask at the airports and that was it.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Wanted to share my key takeaways from a stay here:

- excellent location
​​​​​​-staff is incredibly friendly and very proud of this property
​​​​​​-Turkish breakfast will allow you to be full for days
- love the rooftop view which I believe will turn into a cigar bar in the summer so I was told by a staff member
​​​​​​- upgraded using SNA to Executive Suite

littlevoices likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Looks like a great hotel. I think I will choose this one over the W Istanbul or perhaps split our six nights between the two.

Would have loved to try the St Regis but rates are insane comparatively.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:33 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Except for people who need extra space, Orientbank is a far superior hotel than W
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Traveling with a friend -- bathrooms?

I'm traveling with a friend in August and am considering this hotel given all the rave reviews and fabulous location (it's my friend's first time in Istanbul, so we will be seeing lots of the sights). I'm just a bit nervous about the lack of privacy in the bathroom situation. Other hotels I am considering are the JW, Bank Hotel, and Adahan DeCamonda Pera. Any advice?

Thanks!
1Konsultant
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I stayed here a few days ago, had a great stay - it was a pleasant change from the Le Meridian Bodrum, which had lots more room space, but nowhere near the excellent service and staff. This was a blast of pleasant high quality service, though I appreciate the competition in Istanbul must be fierce. Breakfast was delicious, custom made, and had huge variety enough to fill you up - I got this as a welcome gift for one room without breakfast in the rate. Staff recognised us by name very quickly and were happy to help us check-in a little early, since we'd warned them in advance.

I had booked 3 rooms, as the hotel only accommodates 2 adults per room, and as others have mentioned the rooms are compact. This meant I had 3 rooms right next to each other (no connecting room options), and so could compare an Executive Suite (with a separate room) to a Grand Deluxe (that had space for a sofa, but no dividing wall) to the basic Deluxe (a bed and bathroom). Overall I felt the Grand Deluxe would be nicer if you intend to spend time in the room and the separate room in the suite was only handy for a baby crib. However, since you're in the heart of Istanbul, right next to the spice bazaar and near the river, it isn't so likely you really would want to spend that much time in the room, so any would be fine.

For 1Konsultant ... the bathroom has a separate privacy door for both the shower and toilet, but yes, once out of the shower there isn't anywhere to change, which could be a privacy issue if staying with friends who you don't want to see your skin. You could manage privacy using the Executive Suite due to the extra room, but there still isn't a door.

Overall, will certainly return when we come back to Istanbul - the hotel had location, great staff and a classic historic look and feel. It made me feel good things about the Autograph collection, which a few prior experiences had made me suspicious that I wasn't getting many Marriott perks.

Last edited by littlevoices; Jul 20, 2022 at 9:48 pm
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:22 am

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently using points?
I am wondering if free breakfast is provided to platinum elites (and higher) when staying under a points rate.
I was going to book this hotel but depending on the breakfast benefit I may stay somewhere else.
Thank you-
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently using points?
I am wondering if free breakfast is provided to platinum elites (and higher) when staying under a points rate.
I was going to book this hotel but depending on the breakfast benefit I may stay somewhere else.
Thank you-
I did 5 nights on points (5th night free) in September and received free breakfast as a titanium elite.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by bolobow
I did 5 nights on points (5th night free) in September and received free breakfast as a titanium elite.
Awesome, that is very good to know.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
"We don't normally have macarons, but we heard you enjoy macarons, Mr. ElevatorEnthusiast, so we have gotten some for you as a gift."

What a nice gesture - my kind of Bonvoy moment ;-)
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.