Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Hotel Cancellation Email?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Strange Hotel Cancellation Email?

A few minutes I got a very strange email, sent to about 96 people's personal email addresses (including mine) and coming from a Gmail account purporting to be the GM of the TownePlace Suites Chelsea (NYC).

Dear Valued guest,

Reminder that our hotel will not be opening until 09.28.2021, possibly rollover into October. Please take the time to cancel your reservation as our property will not have access to do so. If you are unable to find your relocating property, please feel free to reach-out directly to me with your

First and Last name
Res: Conf #

And I will gladly assist with the transitioning.

We truly apologize once again and hope to hear from you soon

[name redacted]
Hotel Manager
While I have already canceled my reservation, I am very concerned if this is a legitimate message or some type of scam. I am somewhat upset that my personal email address is visible to 95 strangers (possibly other guests, but who knows). Does anyone know how to contact Marriott corporate security directly? Maybe I am overreacting but this is my first time in this type of situation.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 8, 2021 at 2:53 pm
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
And now some people are replying all. What in the actual world

I have just cancelled the reservation, this is honestly the weirdest and worst experience I’ve ever had with Marriott. It took two weeks for you to reply to me with no alternative solution. I have now cancelled an entire trip because of this. Unacceptable.
-J.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:24 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Hotels have the ability to cancel your reservation on their end. They probably need to be careful about receiving your explicit permission to do so.

Your concerns about privacy are totally valid IMO. If this is a legit email, the manner in which this was executed was super unprofessional. Can you post which gmail address sent you this message so people googling it have a chance to find it?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
That email sends all my red flags flying… at least most of them.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
My thoughts in sequence:

1. This is a scam. The syntax reads like a shady solicitation.
or
2. Incompetent and Sloppy Hotel Management.
wrp96, TXJeepGuy and twitch76 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm now in touch with the Twitter team, though I hope they realize how big of a deal this is.

From the reply-alls I now have someone's phone number and (crazily enough) someone's reservation number and dates of travel This all could have been prevented.

-J.
wrp96 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Marriott being careless with customer data?!?

In other words, Wednesday...
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Truthfully, this screams technology incompetence (as well as a bit of carelessness with the obvious lack of proofreading) on the part of hotel management, rather than a scam. Regardless, anything like this that can devolve into an annoying chain of other technology-ignorant people replying all absolutely should be shut down by either Marriott or hotel ownership (the actual party at fault here). What a screw-up...
margarita girl, wrp96, ryw and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I contacted Marriott via the website form as well as on Twitter... both cases have now been referred to the property itself So I'm not expecting much more from this.

-J.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I think it was most likely just sloppy handling of bulk communication. E.g. the author used to or cc fields for the email distribution rather than bcc which would have kept everybody's information private. Regardless poor from on the part of the property. Not surprising that other folks have naively responded to the email with reply all. Please keep us posted and let us know if this does actually turn out to be a scam.

--Jon
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I think it was most likely just sloppy handling of bulk communication. E.g. the author used to or cc fields for the email distribution rather than bcc which would have kept everybody's information private. Regardless poor from on the part of the property. Not surprising that other folks have naively responded to the email with reply all. Please keep us posted and let us know if this does actually turn out to be a scam.
It does seem very sloppy. I got a reply from the social media team that they referred it to the property, and I replied to the SM team that I thought it was a mistake since they (the property) were the party at fault. Like I said I am not expecting to hear much after this... I may just try calling next week. But for now we'll see what happens.

-J.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
It does seem very sloppy. I got a reply from the social media team that they referred it to the property, and I replied to the SM team that I thought it was a mistake since they (the property) were the party at fault. Like I said I am not expecting to hear much after this... I may just try calling next week. But for now we'll see what happens.

-J.
Maybe the GM got distracted while posting in the "Bugger ....." thread.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
My thoughts in sequence:

1. This is a scam. The syntax reads like a shady solicitation.
or
2. Incompetent and Sloppy Hotel Management.
Incompetent and sloppy, yes. But not necessarily a scam. I book hotels for tour groups and have received many poorly written emails over the years from properties I'm working with and they occasionally come from Gmail addresses. Many hospitality workers, even at the GM level, are not native English speakers and that sometimes is reflected in their correspondence. They may sound fishy but they usually turn out to be legitimate.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Incompetent and sloppy, yes. But not necessarily a scam. I book hotels for tour groups and have received many poorly written emails over the years from properties I'm working with and they occasionally come from Gmail addresses. Many hospitality workers, even at the GM level, are not native English speakers and that sometimes is reflected in their correspondence. They may sound fishy but they usually turn out to be legitimate.
Indeed. There's also a huge difference between a General Manager (GM) at a full-service hotel and one at a limited-service or extended-stay property. Those smaller properties will have tiny staffs in comparison to their full-service siblings. It wouldn't be crazy to find the GM of a TownePlace Suites working a shift at the Front Desk. Nor would be that unusual for a GM to help clean a guest room if a housekeeping staff member got sick and had to leave for the rest of the day.

Essentially, the GM of a limited-service hotel is a jack-of-all-trades. When an owner hires someone for that job, they will almost certainly prioritize operational proficiency over written communication skills.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Well I contacted Marriott via the website form as well as on Twitter... both cases have now been referred to the property itself So I'm not expecting much more from this..
FYI: Any compliant regarding a hotel is going to be referred back to that hotel. That's standard operating procedure for all of the hotel groups like Marriott.

No guarantees it will work, but you can try emailing [email protected] to seek assistance regarding what is a very legitimate complaint. That is a public email address that appears on the Privacy page of the Marriott website.

Source: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:33 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
any followup on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.