Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

21 days mandatory quarantine - hotel refuses AMEX. Advices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

21 days mandatory quarantine - hotel refuses AMEX. Advices?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the reply.

I won’t quote every message but will try to give more context
  • yes, it is a Design hotel, but in the past I’ve never had a problem using Amex there
  • I dunno if the link that they will share for prepayment one week prior to arrival will be processed by them or through a third party
  • they confirmed I’ll earn points during the stay
  • for Visa, it doesn’t quite work like in the US. You can’t settle any amount before due date
  • I’ve already asked the bank to raise the limit on my Visa, so I don’t forse too much trouble. It’s mostly a question of principle
  • Stay is for early October so there’s plenty of time to sort things out
again, thanks everyone for the many different inputs

safe travels
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Can't you add funds to the Visa (Extra Credit)?
doesn't always work (ie BOA business cards)
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by maclover
that’s one of the options I’ll propose back.
but before I sent any reply out, I wanted to find out what’s behind this if anyone had a guess, apart the saving of AMEX commission one their side.

if they didn’t accept Amex at all, or had a disclaimer in Marriott that for quarantine package only Visa/MasterCard are allowed, it would have been fine.
But such request after the reservation is confirmed is puzzling me
I suspect that what is going on here is that for official monitoring reasons you are required to book and pay for the mandatory quarantine through a government-contracted 3rd party portal which doesn't accept AMEX, and the hotel's regular payment facilitator is not involved in processing quarantine stays.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Ask if they accept Marriott Gift Cards and if they find that an acceptable way to settle the payment?
[Edit] Never mind, Design hotels do not accept Marriott GCs

Although it's becoming rare, AMEX still gets pushback by some HK merchants as they charge a higher percentage transaction fee.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How about booking another quarantine hotel that accepts AMEX?

There are 3 other Marriott facilities on the list.

Keep in mind - because you are quarantined, you are practically imprisoned in the room for the entire duration. So the location of the hotel isn't really matter.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung

Keep in mind - because you are quarantined, you are practically imprisoned in the room for the entire duration. So the location of the hotel isn't really matter.
Right, so what should matter is the quality of the hotel/room, not whether you’ll be getting a few points or not. Tail wagging dog.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Right, so what should matter is the quality of the hotel/room, not whether you’ll be getting a few points or not.
Those are not mutually exclusive considerations. I would absolutely want to get points, considering how much these stays can cost.

I would go insane with a 21 day in-room quarantine.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Right, so what should matter is the quality of the hotel/room, not whether you’ll be getting a few points or not. Tail wagging dog.
FWIW, I’m not chasing after points by any mean.
I wrote to few different hotels in order to get sample menus as, while I enjoy Asian food, I don’t see myself eating it for 60+ meals in a row

When I came down with a shortlist, I chose Mira Moon as I’ve stayed several times at Kowloon side Mira and always enjoyed it.
Being quite new and having a Nespresso coffee machine in the room played a role too

I ended up booking my stay through Marriott.com as there is clearly marked you can cancel reservation without penalty up to 7 days before arrival, while on Mira moon website there’s no such a policy and, for the exact same price, I’d rather prefer a cancellabile rate versus a prepaid one
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
PayPal key
OP is in Italy. Paypal key is available only to US residents.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're allowed to order in food or other deliveries during quarantine, you should have some funds available on your Visa card in case the restaurant, etc. doesn't accept AmEx. You also want funds available in case you want to buy anything on line such as a movie , an eBook, or a TV streaming service.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I wrote to few different hotels in order to get sample menus as, while I enjoy Asian food, I don’t see myself eating it for 60+ meals in a row
With limited exceptions, Hong Kong practically bans all foreigners entering Hong Kong. It is not my position to speculate why you can enter Hong Kong. But the fact of the current quarantine arrangement is clear that most people subject to quarantine would be HKers (or people with Chinese-descent). Unless take away (through providers like foodpanda) is available, what you see is what you get.

Keep in mind - because you are practically imprisoned, don't expect the food would be that tasty. AFAICT - hotel quality has no bearing with the food quality (as many outsource their food to outsider vendor). In fact, many prepared food in their baggage in advance of the quarantine.

Being quite new and having a Nespresso coffee machine in the room played a role too
Do they provide/refill the capsules as well?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Have you considered the currency exchange fees, and if so, consider Revolut (with the cash back). You can probably save a bit of money if the hotel charges HKD while you pay EUR.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Marriott and AMEX are partners - there is a co-branded Marriott AMEX card
Maybe it is only for US - but I would think Marriott and AMEX would be upset if some marriott refused to take an AMEX card
This has nothing to do with Marriott and AMEX partnership but rather how the parent company would hotels process the payments. One has to set up processing with Visa and Master Card and separately with AmEx in order to do the charge. The quarantine operation in HK or the parent/owner company of that hotel could be different from Marriott and it looks like they are simply unable to charge AmEx. Just last year during Covid I had an older relative traveling and she would have to stay overnight in VKO. (Russia). I have booked her a DoubleTree just a walkway from the terminal through Hiltoin.com and then contacted hotel to guarantee an early check-in at 8 am (she would arrive at 7 am and then leave with 4 am flight next day with Turkish - the schedule was very "thin" at that time). The manager asked me to pay an additional day rate and sent me an invoice through a Russian bank. All that was very strange but after back and forth I ended up paying that invoice with my Visa Infinite as the bank would not take AmEx Aspire. Everything was fine at the end and my relative was taking a good care of and she got correct Hilton points in her Hilton Gold account for the stay. The point I am trying to make is that payments for any special arrangements with hotels could go directly to the management company which might have a different payment processing than the hotel. There is nothing much to discuss here. Just get a dozen of credit cards with sufficient spending limit and do not worry about such things.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:10 am
Original Poster

With limited exceptions, Hong Kong practically bans all foreigners entering Hong Kong. It is not my position to speculate why you can enter Hong Kong.
We are waiting to get an answer from HK government on that.
My wife is from HK (born and raised there) and is currently almost 5 months pregnant.
for different reasons she would like to do the delivery in HK:
- her mum couldn’t come over to Italy as she has to take care of the grandma
- having a 10.000km safety distance from mother in law is what we consider safe
- for whatever reason, deliver in your mother language makes things easier

that all said, seems that a spouse of HK citizen is allowed entrance.

while waiting for HK Government to confirm it, we started to book refundable fare for both transportation and accommodation.

Do they provide/refill the capsules as well?
Seems so
Quarantine on the moon
  • Complimentary use of Nespresso coffee machine with complimentary Nespresso capsules and gourmet teacake.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife is from HK (born and raised there) and is currently almost 5 months pregnant.
My concern is the lack of care. Not sure if your wife chooses a public or private labour option. This is better be arranged before arrival.

while waiting for HK Government to confirm it, we started to book refundable fare for both transportation and accommodation.
No need to wait. You are exempted. Go ahead and book. The Immigration Department is unlikely to comment on individual cases. Make sure your marriage certificate (Certificato di Matrimonio) is either in English or has a English translation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.