Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase cheaper than Mariott for redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I have the option of the following for the Westin Denver International Airport.
Rooms are selling for $419 and with taxes $492.
Marriott Rewards is 60,000.
I could redeem Chase 32,332.
It seems like since Chase transfers to Marriott on a 1:1 it makes more sense to use Chase.
Am I missing something?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
IMO, you are not missing anything. That just proves the UR to Marriott Bonvoy transfer at 1:1 is never a good value. UR is valued at 2.0 cents and Bonvoy point is valued at around 0.8 cent.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You're not missing much.

Spending 60,000 Marriott points to save $492 gets you 0.82 cents per point --> OK

Spending 32,332 Chase points to save $492 gets you 1.5 cents per point --> not great but YMMV

Converting 60,000 Chase points into 60k Marriott points to book room --> totally stupid

If you have 60k Marriott points already, spend those. Otherwise considering paying cash.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:36 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck1
I have the option of the following for the Westin Denver International Airport.
Rooms are selling for $419 and with taxes $492.
Marriott Rewards is 60,000.
I could redeem Chase 32,332.
It seems like since Chase transfers to Marriott on a 1:1 it makes more sense to use Chase.
Am I missing something?
Just FYI, you will not earn any elite qualifying credit or elite benefits at the hotel if you book through chase. Some hotels are generous and offer elite benefits anyway but it’s not guaranteed.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:37 am

Only one really notable callout: Using Chase points will most likely count as a 3rd party booking, so you won't receive elite benefits, points, or qualifying nights from Marriott.

You're also missing that if you're truly maximizing, you could transfer Chase points for a higher value than the 1.5 cents per point you're getting here with some of their other transfer partners - but that only applies if you would actually use them that way.

But yes - transferring from Chase to Marriott (or IHG) is just about never a good value.

(Edit: Others beat me to it by ~1 minute!)
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
See this happen all the time both with Marriott and with Hyatt.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I value convenience but the premium DEN westin wants is just irrational (I bet they offer much more reasonable corporate rates).
There are countless $100-200 hotels a short shuttle or uber ride away.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PrancingPonyGoldMember
You're also missing that if you're truly maximizing, you could transfer Chase points for a higher value than the 1.5 cents per point you're getting here with some of their other transfer partners - but that only applies if you would actually use them that way.
Yes, transferring to Hyatt often results in better than 1.5 cpp. On the flip side, many of us currently have a huge glut of points and, especially, airline miles right now, such that 1.5 cpp is not a bad redemption at all.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
I value convenience but the premium DEN westin wants is just irrational (I bet they offer much more reasonable corporate rates).
There are countless $100-200 hotels a short shuttle or uber ride away.
This is something that everybody ought to emphasise more.

Very easy to do cents per point calculations, but $492 for a night at an airport hotel only makes sense when spending somebody else's money. (or you have a 6 am flight or something) So you really ought to compare the 60k points against the cash cost of a reasonable alternative (cheaper) hotel, as well as the one you are booking...
YariGuy and birdiedouble like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

That is a crazy amount. Who is spending that? I know business travelers likely would buy are they really getting that from leisure travelers?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
32,332 Chase points for a night at the DEN Westin is not a good use of these points.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
+1. Since there are many airport properties (including Marriott options) with free airport shuttles nearby at much more reasonable price points, why would anyone spend 2x to stay at the Westin? Even on OPM, I wouldn't do it. Guess some folks truly are price insensitive.

---Jon
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
+1. Since there are many airport properties (including Marriott options) with free airport shuttles nearby at much more reasonable price points, why would anyone spend 2x to stay at the Westin? Even on OPM, I wouldn't do it. Guess some folks truly are price insensitive.

---Jon
Because when you waste OPM you keep all of the extra points for yourself. Didn't you see Up in the Air?

And there's no doubt whatsoever that walking to the airport terminal has a substantial value when compared to waiting around for a shuttle. It's not just the Westin, but every hotel connected to any airport manages a very healthy price premium...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Because when you waste OPM you keep all of the extra points for yourself. Didn't you see Up in the Air?

And there's no doubt whatsoever that walking to the airport terminal has a substantial value when compared to waiting around for a shuttle. It's not just the Westin, but every hotel connected to any airport manages a very healthy price premium...
I agree there is substantial value on being able to walk directly into the airport terminal rather than deal with a shuttle. I also agree there is a premium for the privilege. Where we disagree is on the amount of the typical premium. +$50-$100 over the average rate for properties that require using a shuttle is very common. Over double, which I am fairly certain is the case with the Westin in this example, is not. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Jun 8, 2021, 4:38 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I agree there is substantial value on being able to walk directly into the airport terminal rather than deal with a shuttle. I also agree there is a premium for the privilege. Where we disagree is on the amount of the typical premium. +$50-$100 over the average rate for properties that require using a shuttle is very common. Over double, which I am fairly certain is the case with the Westin in this example, is not. YMMV...

--Jon
And if your really good you can get a hotel and parking, for less than the cost of airport parking alone....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.