Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Orlando aLoft Let Someone In My Room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2021, 12:53 am
Original Poster

I was staying at the aLoft in Orlando on International Drive, and I believe housekeeping or the front desk let someone in my room. Here’s the just of what happened. Tuesday I had to go about an hour away and I thought I was going to be coming back that night. I ended up staying with a friend, not returning to the aLoft. I DID pay for the night. Took care of the reservation before I left. I return on Wednesday at around 1pm and my entire room was cleaned out. Everything had been removed. I am a Titanium Member and had confirmed thru the app a 4pm check out. I thought maybe the staff had removed it by mistake. Spoke with housekeeping and he front desk. No one had any idea where my stuff went. Come to find out, a client of a coworker had come and taken all my things, for some reason thinking I wasn’t returning and trying to be “helpful” he said. I have met this person 1 time before, though that’s irrelevant in my opinion. He contacted me and informed me that “staff” had let him in and had all my belongings. I told the front desk, housekeeping management however was never contacted by a member of upper management.

Fast forward till Monday the following week, when I finally meet with the Operations Manager (I believe that was her title.) I stayed over the weekend to waitinh for belongings to be returned, and didn’t put payment down and did tell the hotel staff I wanted to meet with management before I payed another night, which they agreed. I spoke with the O.M. She gave me a bill for the nights I owed, and informed me that they gave me 1/2 off one evening as compensation for the inconvenience. Which amounted to around $45. I didn’t argue at that point and agreed to pay the remaining balance. About an hour later, this same manager shows up at my door with two Sheriffs demanding payment and asking me to leave. At that point, I asked if she was even aware of what had happened, since no apology was offered, and she didn’t even really bring it up before when we met. Her and the Sherries officers did leave without any incident. I left at 4pm and paid the remaining balance. I expected a call from the General Manager the next day, which I didn’t get. I called the hotel and spoke to the same Operations Manager who informed me the G.M. Went to the bank, and would call within the hour. Two hours goes by, I call back. Now the G.M. Is in a meeting with “investors”??? And no call by the end of the business day. And I have yet to receive my items back, which is neither here nor there with what the hotel should be handling.

The Hotel let an unregistered person into my room, when I wasn’t there. He took all my belongings out. No compensation was given except $42 off one night. The Sherries show up at my door with management, and the GM who I have tried to contact, hasn’t even tried to reach out to me. Am I crazy. I stay at hotels a lot thru the year, I have never had this happen. And the hotel almost seems to want to cover it up. Not allowing the GM to speak to me, or her contacting me back.

I’m just curious what should be done. And hopefully someone from Marriott sees this. The aLoft on International Drive in Orlando. Lovely hotel property, terrible staff. Thank you for listening. Any input would be appreciated.
Old May 26, 2021, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by HiddenOwl
I was staying at the aLoft in Orlando on International Drive, and I believe housekeeping or the front desk let someone in my room. Here’s the just of what happened. Tuesday I had to go about an hour away and I thought I was going to be coming back that night. I ended up staying with a friend, not returning to the aLoft. I DID pay for the night. Took care of the reservation before I left. I return on Wednesday at around 1pm and my entire room was cleaned out. Everything had been removed. I am a Titanium Member and had confirmed thru the app a 4pm check out. I thought maybe the staff had removed it by mistake. Spoke with housekeeping and he front desk. No one had any idea where my stuff went. Come to find out, a client of a coworker had come and taken all my things, for some reason thinking I wasn’t returning and trying to be “helpful” he said. I have met this person 1 time before, though that’s irrelevant in my opinion. He contacted me and informed me that “staff” had let him in and had all my belongings. I told the front desk, housekeeping management however was never contacted by a member of upper management.

Fast forward till Monday the following week, when I finally meet with the Operations Manager (I believe that was her title.) I stayed over the weekend to waitinh for belongings to be returned, and didn’t put payment down and did tell the hotel staff I wanted to meet with management before I payed another night, which they agreed. I spoke with the O.M. She gave me a bill for the nights I owed, and informed me that they gave me 1/2 off one evening as compensation for the inconvenience. Which amounted to around $45. I didn’t argue at that point and agreed to pay the remaining balance. About an hour later, this same manager shows up at my door with two Sheriffs demanding payment and asking me to leave. At that point, I asked if she was even aware of what had happened, since no apology was offered, and she didn’t even really bring it up before when we met. Her and the Sherries officers did leave without any incident. I left at 4pm and paid the remaining balance. I expected a call from the General Manager the next day, which I didn’t get. I called the hotel and spoke to the same Operations Manager who informed me the G.M. Went to the bank, and would call within the hour. Two hours goes by, I call back. Now the G.M. Is in a meeting with “investors”??? And no call by the end of the business day. And I have yet to receive my items back, which is neither here nor there with what the hotel should be handling.

The Hotel let an unregistered person into my room, when I wasn’t there. He took all my belongings out. No compensation was given except $42 off one night. The Sherries show up at my door with management, and the GM who I have tried to contact, hasn’t even tried to reach out to me. Am I crazy. I stay at hotels a lot thru the year, I have never had this happen. And the hotel almost seems to want to cover it up. Not allowing the GM to speak to me, or her contacting me back.

I’m just curious what should be done. And hopefully someone from Marriott sees this. The aLoft on International Drive in Orlando. Lovely hotel property, terrible staff. Thank you for listening. Any input would be appreciated.
Contact corporate, leave a Trip Advisor review. The GM is obviously avoiding you.
Old May 26, 2021, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you do write to Marriott you need to keep your story short and to the point. Your post is far too long, no one will engage with that. I’m still not sure what actually happened.
Old May 26, 2021, 5:19 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you do write to Marriott you need to keep your story short and to the point. Your post is far too long, no one will engage with that. I’m still not sure what actually happened.
I know the OP’s story is too long but even at its length, I am also not sure what actually happened. It just doesn’t tie. There is something more to the story.
Old May 26, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by cre95
I know the OP’s story is too long but even at its length, I am also not sure what actually happened. It just doesn’t tie. There is something more to the story.
I can't follow either ... for example, who has the stuff, hotel or client of coworker or someone else?
What was reason for sheriff's showing up ... did OP refuse to leave, refuse to pay, discrimination due to ?
TravisMT81, boss315 and James91 like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 6:59 am
Suspended

Yes, there is obviously more to this story.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:22 am

Think you have two separate issues
1) hotel allowing random person to claim & clear out your room
2) poor communication/service recovery from (1)

As for (1), it's known that some hotels don't check for IDs (oh, i losr my room key, they just print a new one for you without checking ID)
​​​​​
As for (2), it's a little unclear who has your stuff and why you are waiting. Maybe hotel thought you were waiting for that person while you were expecting that person to return belongings via hotel with you present. And this escalated to sheriff's due to payment miscommunication?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I stopped reading 1/5 of the way through. I work with many clients, many co-workers and many clients of my co-workers.

In no world where I live, would any of those three ever consider entering my hotel room.

OP, if you’re going to share this on FT, can you please give us a few bullet points with facts. That may keep us interested in the story for more than just a sentence or 2.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:36 am

Come to find out, a client of a coworker had come and taken all my things, for some reason thinking I wasn’t returning and trying to be “helpful” he said.
this is where I basically stopped reading because there is CLEARLY something so far out of the ordinary going on and OP is trying to avoid disclosing it, and it's almost certaining critical to understanding ... happened here

approximately 2% chance we hear from OP again
Old May 26, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
To avoid future issues it would help to know how did the client of a colleague you met once know you had not returned to the hotel that evening? And know you were scheduled to check out the next day? Were you sharing the hotel room with your colleague? When the client contacted you to indicate he had your belongings did they indicate how he received access to your room? (front desk, housekeeping, your colleague)
Doppy, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:16 am
Suspended

Is the first paragraph related in any way to the second paragraph, or are these separate incidents?
Old May 26, 2021, 8:32 am

• I was staying at the aLoft in Orlando on International Drive
  • Tuesday I had to go about an hour away and I thought I was going to be coming back that night. I ended up staying with a friend
  • I return on Wednesday at around 1pm and my entire room was cleaned out. Everything had been removed.
  • A client of a coworker had come and taken all my things, for some reason thinking I wasn’t returning. I have met this person 1 time before
  • I stayed over the weekend to waitinh for belongings to be returned
  • Didn’t put payment down and did tell the hotel staff I wanted to meet with management before I payed another night
  • She gave me a bill for the nights I owed, and I agreed to pay the remaining balance.
  • About an hour later, this same manager shows up at my door with two Sheriffs demanding payment and asking me to leave. I left at 4pm and paid the remaining balance.
  • I have yet to receive my items back, which is neither here nor there with what the hotel should be handling.
I summarized OP’s post for anyone wanting to follow along.
KRSW likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:42 am
Suspended

Why didn't he just get in touch with this co-worker/client? Did it require him staying at the hotel?
Old May 26, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
i strongly suspect that OP got arrested/detained and colleague got into the room to get their stuff etc. That isn’t guess.
It would also explain why they were planning on leaving last Wednesday and then tried to extend their trip by almost a week.

The other red flag for me is being on a business trip in Orlando, meeting with clients, and staying on I-Drive. I can’t think of any business you’d have in that area with clients other than something like selling timeshares.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, there is obviously more to this story.
And why would he be happy only getting half off 1 night when it was obviously against all protocols to allow some stranger basically to enter the room and take the stuff. Very confusing story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.