Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Nursing Home

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Marriott vs Nursing Home

I work in the Credit & Finance Industry and follow a daily column on mortgage finance. The author always adds a joke or humorous story at the end of each day's column, and I found the one today (located here) too good not to share. [If you select the link beyond Saturday, February 20th, you may have to hit the "Previous Day" link to get back to today's posting.]

No nursing home for me. I’ll be checking into the Marriott!

With the average cost of the nursing home being $275 per day, there is a better way when we get old and too feeble.

I’ve already checked on the reservations at The Fairfield: for a combined long-term stay discount senior discount, it’s $79.00 per night. Breakfast is included, and some have Happy Hours in the afternoon.

That leaves $196.00 a day for lunch and dinner in any restaurant we want, or room service, laundry, gratuities, and special TV movies. Plus, they provide a spa, swimming, workout room, lounge, washer and dryer, and more.

Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.

$10.00 worth of tips a day and you’ll have the entire staff scrambling to help you. They’ll treat you like a customer, not as a patient.

There’s a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride free. The handicap bus will also pick you up (if you can fake a limp).

To meet other nice people, call a church bus on Sundays.

For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there. While you’re at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up. It takes a few months to get into a decent nursing home anyway. The Marriott will take your reservation today! And, in the Marriott, you’re not stuck in one place forever – you can move from one Marriott to another Marriott, or even from city to city. Want to see Hawaii? They have Courtyard there too.

TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem, they fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience.

The Marriott has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are OK. If not, they call an ambulance… or the undertaker! If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Marriott will upgrade to a suite for the rest of your life.

And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini vacation. And the grandkids can use the pool.

What more could you ask for?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
This made me chuckle. My Mum said, many years ago, that if my Dad went first she planned to move into a Marriott. She would then make points to have a month away from her usual one. She had it all planned and I reckon it would have worked. Sadly she died 5 years ago and my Dad (miserable, nasty man) outlived her by 2.5 years.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
With the average cost of the nursing home being $275 per day, there is a better way when we get old and too feeble.
I have met three people who sold their homes and book months-long cruises, living on cruise ships year after year. The cruise ships provide everything you mentioned. They occasionally take breaks to stay with friends and family.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Reminds me of Joy Bricker...

Random News: Woman stays 10 years in a TownePlace Suite by Marriott

https://www.cnn.com/2011/10/30/livin...est/index.html
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The issue is no skilled nursing if/when that becomes an issue, but it’s an option
nancypants and svo242 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:15 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I’ve already checked on the reservations at The Fairfield: for a combined long-term stay discount senior discount, it’s $79.00 per night. Breakfast is included, and some have Happy Hours in the afternoon.

That leaves $196.00 a day for lunch and dinner in any restaurant we want, or room service, laundry, gratuities, and special TV movies. Plus, they provide a spa, swimming, workout room, lounge, washer and dryer, and more.
I just want to know which Fairfield in the system offers room service and a lounge!

Last edited by ryw; Feb 20, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
These stories pop up all the time, but it’s not a direct comparison. You’re not getting 24/7 nursing care in a Marriott. An assisted-living complex is probably a better benchmark.

I do dig it though, as it’s my recurring fantasy to just live in hotels
Guate87, svo242 and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I’d imagine you could find many a Sheraton that would be glad to fill your room for you.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Pre-covid, it was also cheaper to be on a cruise instead and all food and housekeeping included.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Pre-covid, it was also cheaper to be on a cruise instead and all food and housekeeping included.
In theory I'd rather a cruise than a hotel, although internet access and procuring your own food and drink are issues. I wonder if security on ships with those full time cruisers looks the other way when a case of soda or water finds its way in baggage at a port.
Guate87 and cfabar1 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Assisted living by Marriott" - extended stay properties with nurse on staff.
To go along with other lifestyle hospitality options such as "Penitentiary by Marriott"
rny321, trooper, MaxFlyer and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Actually, the new Fairfield in Shanghai, has these
Intl359Widget, SPN Lifer and ryw like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Most people owning second homes aren't doing the maths either.

Between community fees, property taxes and the opportunity cost of the $ invested, you could definitely go spend 3 months per year at whatever high end hotel / cruise you decide to visit.
cfabar1 and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:21 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Years ago I was a regular at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok and there was an 80 something woman who lived in the hotel for months at a time. She more or less owned the club lounge and had a group of loyal friends who would come and stay at the hotel to visit her. That was her approach and as long as your health holds it it seems like a great way to go.
stuartpig and oxfordjames like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
[QUOTE=abk;33052096]Years ago I was a regular at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok and there was an 80 something woman who lived in the hotel for months at a time. She more or less owned the club lounge and had a group of loyal friends who would come and stay at the hotel to visit her. That was her approach and as long as your health holds it it seems like a great way to go.[/QUOT
I am so happy for that lady. She’s living out my Mother’s fantasy.
hdogan, SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.